• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this Amazing Spiderman Cover # 113 real ?

34 posts in this topic

I remember there were some issues with this cover a few years back. 2 different copies of the cover surfaced. One is stat. Can anybody clarify the confusion on this piece. Even the Ebay Seller in this listing sounds confused.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROMITA-SPIDER-MAN-COVER-ORIGINAL-ART_W0QQitemZ260544019543QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_2?hash=item3ca9a23c57

I contacted the seller. The art is the photo image of Spidey and Doc Ock. The rest is stat.

i am a rookie. some questions please.

i assume a stat is a copy of the original art on a board?

how did you tell it was a stat with original art in the photo image based on the

so-so pic on ebay?

now my opinion. i would be very concerned spending that much money with

such an issue surrounding it. better to just wait for a sure thing then to gamble

on something i do not know for sure.

Leon Arghyrou owns or has owned the original art of the cover:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?Order=Date&Page=1&GSub=54612

It's a 100% drawn piece, and he also has a stat of the final drawing of the center.

If you compares the drawing of the center of the piece, with the final image you'll see that Octopus' face was retouched:

http://img237.imageshack.us/i/romitajohnspiderman113c.jpg/

My guess is that Romita traced in vellum the drawing of the center with the face retouched, and then, he'd add the greys. Then they shot the piece, and pasted the stat on the artwork owned by Leon. Afterwards, someone would take the vellum, and would paste it on a stat of the rest of the artwork on a different board. So this would match with the story of the seller.

But from my point of view, this would be very close to a production copy rather than to original art, because the artwork of the auctioned piece is a mere traced piece with only a slightly retouched face as a new drawing, even if it was traced by Romita himself.

Imho, $7,000 is a very high price for a traced piece...

Ah, the Hell with it, I've been trying for an hour to get this stupid link to work! Just take a look at the links Ferran provided ....

To achieve the look of a photograph printed on newsprint, (for the PRINTED comic book cover), at least two stats would have been made from the original black and white line art. I doubt that Romita did a tracing on velum, the copy is too exact. Anyway, on the first stat, Romita would have used a Charcoal pencil to add blacks and shade in detail to Spidey and Ock's costumes. Now, the problem is that,( at the time), you couldn't print pencil art. So, a second stat would have been made, (with a special "screen"), that would make it possible to print the Charcoal pencil art.

This second stat, (with the special screening), was then glued to the original published art cover. I think that Romita also altered Ock's face on this stat and added some motion lines, (of Ock's arms), with white paint.

At some point, a stat was made of the published cover art and the very first stat, (that Romita had applied Charcoal pencil to), was attached to create what I have been referring to as the "all stat" cover. One other thing to note is that the published cover is on normal comic art stock, while the "all stat" is on cover stock paper. The "all stat" version could have been created by Marvel's in-house production department for all we know.

That's my long-winded OPINION, on a boring Sunday morning!

Best,

Jeff

I thought that it was a traced drawing because I'm not sure that charcoals works too well on stats.

Anyway, this reinforces my point, which is that the auctioned piece is all stat except for the greys, and $7,000 is an incredible high price for a retouched production copy, specially when the full artwork was recently sold for 18k.

I saw the original cover to this some time back and from memory i recall there being an overlay with the finished art in the middle.

If this sold as a complete overlay and original on Comiclink, then does this mean that this has been seperated and is now being sold seperately, or is this a production version that was also created ?

The listing states that he purchased it from Romitaman years ago and i believe that it only sold on Comiclink a little while back so what is going on ?

how did you tell it was a stat with original art in the photo image based on the

so-so pic on ebay?

Ask the seller. Keep a copy of the response.

doh. i read it as he contacted the seller with his opinion on what he thought

the situation was. sigh!

thanks!

This was just posted by Mike Burkey on the Comicart-L list

the center piece on his cover IS the original center art used for ASM 113

cover!

the only difference is..doc ock is smiling on art on ebay whereas published

comic he has a frown.

when I bought the complete ASM 113 book (minus 1 page) back in 1990 it came

with full cover.... PLUS the wash tone center piece you see on ebay...

there was the actual cover with everything on it..but the center was an

actual black and white PHOTO GRAPH glued over top of a pen and ink drawing of

Spiderman and Dr. Octopus!!

john Romita explained to me that Stan lee wanted the comic book to look

like a REAL photograph on the cover..... so after Romita drew the

cover...Stan had john draw the center piece AGAIN.... in WASH TONES with the pencils

all around the battling characters.....and they shot that image as a

photograph and glued an actual PHOTOGRAPH of this wash tone piece onto the other

cover with all of the background art!

so yes there is another cover out there to ASM 113 and YES the center piece

you see on this cover on ebay is the published center art for ASM 113!

hope this helps!

mike

Well, from what I understand, this back up my initial guess, which was that Romita lightboxed his original drawing, and then he added greys to this new piece.

Afterwards, Mike Burkey made a stat of the original cover, pasted it in another board, and then he pasted on it the lightboxed drawing with greys.

In my eyes, this adds slightly more value to the auctioned piece, but it's still a COPY almost line for line of the original drawing. Even if it's done by Romita himself. There's no new art in the drawing, just like if it was a recreation.

Imho, its value is very far from what the seller is asking for.