• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So this old guy walks into a little comic show in IL. with 5 comics

9 posts in this topic

He immediately goes to the first dealer on the right and shows him his comics. The dealer makes him an offer and he accepts.

Why in the world do you go to a show with more than one dealer and accept the first offer? :screwy: Shop the comics around the small room and get the high bid.

The dealer that he did sell to is a top notch guy and made him a very fair offer so if he could have got more from another dealer (me) it would not have been much more.

The good about the comics was 2 Detectives #51 and another #50 something as well as a couple of Actions # 41 and #36 as well as a Star Spangled from mid 1940's.

The bad about the comics was they were all missing at least 1 or 2 pages except the Star Spangled.

He claims to have a suitcase full of more Actions and Detectives and is supposed to get back in touch with the dealer who bought the 5 comics. I told this dealer of the few comics I would be interested in if they were to be in the collection so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I probably watched at least 5 others walk in and immediately go the first dealer on the right and either sell to him or walk out as if no one else was in the room buying. Everyone else selling had junk for the most part which is usually what comes to shows these days.

Must bribe the promoter to get me the first spot on the right from now on.

I did buy the Action #36. Even though it is missing most of the first 3 pages and all of the centerfold I couldn't pass it up for $70. I have never owned this comic and probably won't have it for long.

Leroy

action36.jpg

I was at a show last year (small one day show) where a guy walked in with a suitcase and asked someone at a booth if anyone was interested in some really old Superman comics. The "dealer" replied that he was only hired help and that the real dealer won't be at this show.

The hired help didn't ask to see what was in the case, didn't offer any contact info.

That was it.

The guy walked away and never came back.

doh!

Leroy: Dave told me about this. I was jealous that you got that book. I wish I was going to be at the Westport show, but I have to be out of town that weekend.

And what are you complaining about? Isn't that how you got that great precode collection in Chi-town? First dealer he saw? :baiting:

Mike

Yea, you have a point.......

I was very lucky in Chicago since I was buried in the dealer room. So technically I was like the 50th dealer they saw but 2nd they stopped at.

That was an amazing thing!

He immediately goes to the first dealer on the right and shows him his comics. The dealer makes him an offer and he accepts.

Why in the world do you go to a show with more than one dealer and accept the first offer? :screwy: Shop the comics around the small room and get the high bid.

The dealer that he did sell to is a top notch guy and made him a very fair offer so if he could have got more from another dealer (me) it would not have been much more.

The good about the comics was 2 Detectives #51 and another #50 something as well as a couple of Actions # 41 and #36 as well as a Star Spangled from mid 1940's.

The bad about the comics was they were all missing at least 1 or 2 pages except the Star Spangled.

He claims to have a suitcase full of more Actions and Detectives and is supposed to get back in touch with the dealer who bought the 5 comics. I told this dealer of the few comics I would be interested in if they were to be in the collection so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I probably watched at least 5 others walk in and immediately go the first dealer on the right and either sell to him or walk out as if no one else was in the room buying. Everyone else selling had junk for the most part which is usually what comes to shows these days.

I did buy the Action #36. Even though it is missing most of the first 3 pages and all of the centerfold I couldn't pass it up for $70. I have never owned this comic and probably won't have it for long.

Leroy

Aww..thats the oldest trick in the book!

Guy comes in with a couple of beat-up GA books and offers them to a dealer with a "there's a whole bunch more where these came from" story. The dealer, as pays a higher than normal price for the cr@p with the hopes of getting a first shot at the "mother load".

My uncle and I used to do this all the time at various NY shows!

Leroy

action36.jpg

Send me a price if you are interested in selling.

bb :devil:

Leroy

Guy comes in with a couple of beat-up GA books and offers them to a dealer with a "there's a whole bunch more where these came from" story. The dealer, as pays a higher than normal price for the cr@p with the hopes of getting a first shot at the "mother load".

you know, I had never considered that... interesting

Leroy

That does work in the coins and baseball cards as well, my cousin Sal use to go to cons with a few mediocre cards and coins and say these were found in his Grandmas cellar with a whole lot more that are too heavy to carry, the dealer would them pay decent money for his mediocre stuff in hopes that Sal would bring his good stuff back for him to sell. ;) of course Sal never did. :)