• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage vs. ComicLink: A Quick Snapshot

93 posts in this topic

Heritage is out for me. Buyers premium

doh!

stinks for the seller...buyer just incorporates the 20% or so into their bidding (does require a little calculating)

For the most part I avoid Heritage auction due to BP.

doh! doh! doh!

stinks for the seller...buyer just incorporates the 20% or so into their bidding (does require a little calculating)

doh! doh! doh!

Is there an echo in here? (shrug)

Even if I factor in the 29% premium and sales tax in my bid, chances are real slim I'd ever win a book I'd want in my collection for a fair market price. I'm dealing with a 9% handicap that those without sales tax aren't. I'll just take my business elsewhere...

doh! doh! doh!

Even if I factor in the 29% premium and sales tax in my bid, chances are real slim I'd ever win a book I'd want in my collection for a fair market price. I'm dealing with a 9% handicap that those without sales tax aren't. I'll just take my business elsewhere...

I specifically deleted the tax reference when I quoted you. I agree that you and Californians and others who have to pay state tax are at a disadvantage.

But on the BP, which is 19.5%, not 29%, that's something that every buyer bears equally, and every buyer should just incorporate the BP into their bid by figuring out what they're willing to pay in total and then divide by 1.195 to determine the bid amount that they enter. Sorry if I was being snarky, but buyers who say the BP puts them off, when in fact it has absolutely no impact on them, are a pet peeve of mine.

As Rick correctly said, BP most definitely does impact the seller. But for buyers, it has absolutely no impact if they're not mathematically challenged.

doh! doh! doh!

I specifically deleted the tax reference when I quoted you. I agree that you and Californians and others who have to pay state tax are at a disadvantage.

But on the BP, which is 19.5%, not 29%, that's something that every buyer bears equally, and every buyer should just incorporate the BP into their bid by figuring out what they're willing to pay in total and then divide by 1.195 to determine the bid amount that they enter. Sorry if I was being snarky, but buyers who say the BP puts them off, when in fact it has absolutely no impact on them, are a pet peeve of mine.

As Rick correctly said, BP most definitely does impact the seller. But for buyers, it has absolutely no impact if they're not mathematically challenged.

Absolutely, if I only want to bid upto a max of $1000 dollars for a book, I just place a lower max bid to take account of the premium, I will still only pay what I want, the consignee loses out, not me.

doh! doh! doh!

(my response was for tth2, not directed at anyone...just having some fun (thumbs u )

on a side note, sales tax does stink... but the 20% is the same for all buyers across the board, as you know, so it is "built into" the FMV the avg book receives... but being at a 9% disadvantage would make me want to find a relative or friend out of state to transact for me (legally, of course) (shrug)

doh! doh! doh!

um, let me try this...divide by 2 and carry the 1, cross over the 3 and multiply by 5.4...I got it :insane:

doh! doh! doh!

You know, at this point I think the BP actually does have an impact on the buyer, as it's clear that there are many people out there who A) don't understand the burden of the BP falls on the seller or B) simply don't factor the BP into their bids. That means that when I bid I could easily end up paying more than I normally would have by someone ignoring the BP when entering their top amount.

You know, at this point I think the BP actually does have an impact on the buyer, as it's clear that there are many people out there who A) don't understand the burden of the BP falls on the seller or B) simply don't factor the BP into their bids. That means that when I bid I could easily end up paying more than I normally would have by someone ignoring the BP when entering their top amount.

I agree - I think it can be a psychological thing. People get caught up in "auction fever" and put the BP out of their minds. Then it comes to bite them. Later on in other auctions they may be gun shy about bidding that high. Many aren't that disciplined in doing the math, figuring out their bottom line, and sticking with it.

The other side to this coin is that the BP seem to repel some potential bidders so that on some lots, you have facing one or more fewer competing bids. It all averages out. Mind you, not that I have EVER bought something from Heritage ... but it's certainly not the BP that's prevented me from that.

Well when someone puts in a bid, the bid you placed + the bp will be shown on the next page as a confirmation so you know exactly how much you are bidding. I really don't see how there can be a mix up on the bidding. Or you can also calculate it yourself.

I think the biggest burden in Heritage would have to be the consigners as they are the ones who are suffering from the bp. Instead of X amount, it would have to be X minus the extra juice.

doh! doh! doh!

um, let me try this...divide by 2 and carry the 1, cross over the 3 and multiply by 5.4...I got it :insane:

Florida grad. (shrug)

doh! doh! doh!

No, that just means that consciously or not, the amount that you are willing to pay IS your bid + BP.

And I have no doubt that happens all the time.

Well when someone puts in a bid, the bid you placed + the bp will be shown on the next page as a confirmation so you know exactly how much you are bidding. I really don't see how there can be a mix up on the bidding. Or you can also calculate it yourself.

I think the biggest burden in Heritage would have to be the consigners as they are the ones who are suffering from the bp. Instead of X amount, it would have to be X minus the extra juice.

This is true. This is why someone should sell on Heritage only if they think the price they get will be so much higher over what they could get on other auction sites that it makes up for the additional bite from the BP.

So if I had SA Marvels to sell, I would never ever sell them on Heritage. But if I had HG Ducks, I think the price benefit I would get on Heritage over the other sites would more than make up for the BP.

doh! doh! doh!

Yep, understand the 20% BP, the 29% I used included the 8.5% sales tax I have to pay...rounded up to 29%. So, while everyone else is paying 20%, I pay 29%...naaaaah.

And finding a relative out of state to bid for me...naaah. Too much trouble. Not to mention the fact that I really don't want my friends/family knowing how much I spend on some of these funny books... (thumbs u

Florida? Isn't that where Texas Tech washouts go to graduate? :shrug:

No such thing as a "Texas Tech washout". Texas Tech is like the settlement at the bottom of the bucket...you can't go any lower.

Keep your window rolled up when you drive through Lubbock or they may throw a diploma in...

:o

I'm turned off by the fact that Heritage charges a seller's premium and a buyer's premium. After all is said and done, their cut is somewhere in the neighborhood of 35-40% of the sale price. Seems a bit high, considering that other auction sites are able to survive with a 8-10% commissions.