• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Master of Kung Fu - worth reading?

21 posts in this topic

After stating that I don't read Marvel, I just got a bunch of Marvel comics. Master of Kung Fu looked interesting as I was flipping through the pages and I enjoy Doug Moench's writing. Are this worth reading for someone that knows nothing about the Marvel universe?

I checked Strongguy's review thread and did not see this title listed.

After stating that I don't read Marvel, I just got a bunch of Marvel comics. Master of Kung Fu looked interesting as I was flipping through the pages and I enjoy Doug Moench's writing. Are this worth reading for someone that knows nothing about the Marvel universe?

It's one of my very favorite 70's series. And one of the least connected with the Marvel Universe..so go ahead and dive in. The first 10 -15 or so issues were a little hit and miss because I had the feeling the writers were still not sure which direction the book was going...but it gets a lot better fast.

It's one of my very favorite 70's series. And one of the least connected with the Marvel Universe..so go ahead and dive in. The first 10 -15 or so issues were a little hit and miss because I had the feeling the writers were still not sure which direction the book was going...but it gets a lot better fast.

What Chromium said!

Got fond memories of this title from childhood (thumbs u

The run really start at 16 but is almost consecutive at 20. Out of all the Marvels I was flipping through to count pages, this series said read me. There are a few Marvel horror issues I may read as well.

The run really start at 16 but is almost consecutive at 20. Out of all the Marvels I was flipping through to count pages, this series said read me. There are a few Marvel horror issues I may read as well.

One of the best written and best drawn Marvel series of the mid-1970s. As Chromium said, it's also the least Marvel-like of a Marvel's BA titles.

Hmmm, I never read that title either. Now you got me wanting to buy the first few issue :boo:

They're super cheap if they're not UHG.

I wouldn't necessarily bother with the Special Marvel Edition issues or even the first few issues of MOKF, although they're good and the Starlin artwork is great. To me, the series really begins when Gulacy starts. His artwork just really meshed with Moench's writing.

I'm glad you mentioned the hit and miss was just in the beginning. I remember reading some later issues on occasion as a kid and liking the title but just bought a load of reader copies and have been a little disappointed. Conan was the same thing for me as a kid, liked it when I read it but didn't read much, and now I'm a big fan with the Chronicles of Conan volumes of those issues. Hoping the MOKF is as much fun to read. :wishluck:

Just finished Conan. Gotta write the review and scan some books. MoKF is like 1200+ books away (literally 6 long boxes down the line). But I'll get there eventually.

Just finished Conan. Gotta write the review and scan some books. MoKF is like 1200+ books away (literally 6 long boxes down the line). But I'll get there eventually.

I'll just read my 30 issues then. lol I'll look forward to your next review. BTW - I love that thread it is a great resource.