• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree Auction Sales and Relistings. Legit?

901 posts in this topic

I've bid on about five items in Pedigree auctions... at least one was in excess of $10k. Every time I wound up winning at the maximum bid I placed. Could be just coincidence I suppose, but with the rest of the history there I've decided to no longer participate in Pedigree auctions.

I don't believe there are across-the-board shills on either ComicLink or Pedigree, as I've won significant books for 20% to 30% less than market average. Do certain people bid up their own books, particularly employees of the house as Heritage does? I'd suspect yes, absolutely.

Ultimately there's nothing you can do about shilling. If I want to shill my own auctions even if I don't work for the auction house, it's easy, easy, easy. If shilling bugs you, then there isn't a single auction format you should ever participate in.

This is a terrific post.

So...the answer to shill bidding is.....acceptance? hm

Why not? It's the answer, for many, to pressing. The path of least resistance and all.

That would depend on the buyers stance on pressing, shill bidding is wrong, pressing is wrong to some people, not legally "wrong".

Huh?

Heritage openly and legally bids on its own auctions.

Why not? It's the answer, for many, to pressing. The path of least resistance and all.

It's a more absolute truth than that--resistance is futile! You can't stop undetectable pressing. You can't stop shilling. You can't stop being short. You can't stop the rain. To not accept parts of the world beyond your control is to drive yourself insane for no good reason. :insane:

Pedigree auction "sales" are not reported to GPA right?

Pedigree reports sales to GPA after the customer pays. I haven't checked the latest auction results to see if they're in GPA, but I know past auction items that ended up being relisted on the site or relisted in the next auction haven't appeared in GPA. Last example I looked up was the Spidey #1 CGC 9.0 that didn't just sell in this auction, that same copy DID appear to sell last auction, but never showed up in GPA.

I don't believe there are across-the-board shills on either ComicLink or Pedigree, as I've won significant books for 20% to 30% less than market average. Do certain people bid up their own books, particularly employees of the house as Heritage does? I'd suspect yes, absolutely.

Ultimately there's nothing you can do about shilling. If I want to shill my own auctions even if I don't work for the auction house, it's easy, easy, easy. If shilling bugs you, then there isn't a single auction format you should ever participate in.

This is a terrific post.

That would depend on the buyers stance on pressing, shill bidding is wrong, pressing is wrong to some people, not legally "wrong".

Huh?

I said, shill bidding is wrong. Pressing books is not right or wrong, it's a personal decision.

This is a terrific post.

Huh?

Depends on the state you are in.

Pedigree auction "sales" are not reported to GPA right?

Pedigree reports sales to GPA after the customer pays. I haven't checked the latest auction results to see if they're in GPA, but I know past auction items that ended up being relisted on the site or relisted in the next auction haven't appeared in GPA. Last example I looked up was the Spidey #1 CGC 9.0 that didn't just sell in this auction, that same copy DID appear to sell last auction, but never showed up in GPA.

So all we have to do at the end of every pedigree auction is to find out which books don't appear on GPA, we'll then know which books were shilled and won by Doug.

It's a more absolute truth than that--resistance is futile! You can't stop undetectable pressing. You can't stop shilling. You can't stop being short. You can't stop the rain. To not accept parts of the world beyond your control is to drive yourself insane for no good reason. :insane:

Bobby Knight...is that you?

http://www.progressiveu.org/210842-if-rape-is-inevitable-relax-and-enjoy-it

:insane:

This is a terrific post.

Huh?

Heritage is located in a state that allows it...so my point is accurate.

This is a terrific post.

Huh?

Heritage is located in a state that allows it...so my point is accurate.

True.

So all we have to do at the end of every pedigree auction is to find out which books don't appear on GPA, we'll then know which books were shilled and won by Doug.

I don't follow. The items from consignors that appear to sell, but don't, do not appear on GPA...

This is a terrific post.

Huh?

I said, shill bidding is wrong. Pressing books is not right or wrong, it's a personal decision.

I knew exactly what you were saying. And I'm saying shill bidding is wrong according to who?

Heritage openly does it...countless bidders continue to participate in their auctions...and it's all perfectly legal. That sure seems like a personal decision to me.

I find the relationship of this thread to Bob Storms latest thread intriguing. People were directing away from static sales and mentioning auctions. Now auctions are getting placed under the microscope.

I put you under the microscope once and saw a tiny little village living in your scalp...complete with a carnival.

It made me want to be one of the scalp people so I could ride their ferris wheel.

I find the relationship of this thread to Bob Storms latest thread intriguing. People were directing away from static sales and mentioning auctions. Now auctions are getting placed under the microscope.

Who knows, possibly intentionally?

The bottom line is, this all makes me very grateful for the buying I am able to do through comic book shops and local dealers who seem to still be honest folks (or at least the ones I deal with). It also makes me appreciate guys like Storms, Dave Reynolds, Al Stoltz, Terry O'Neil and some others a whole lot more.

I put you under the microscope once and saw a tiny little village living in your scalp...complete with a carnival.

It made me want to be one of your scalp people so I could ride their ferris wheel.

You, my friend, are certainly of your own design.

It made me want to be one of the scalp people so I could ride their ferris wheel.

:roflmao: