• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree Auction Sales and Relistings. Legit?

901 posts in this topic

To some degree, shill bidding and its acceptance is made most evident by our apathy, or our willingness to participate in any auction format.

It doesn't matter to me in the slightest, because no matter whether I'm buying a book at a fixed price from a dealer site or I'm bidding in an auction, I know what I'm willing to pay either way. So the shilling at worst just forces me to pay what I was already willing to pay.

Do I think shilling is ethical? Not in the slightest. It's misleading and you shouldn't do it, it's taking advantage of people who believe in the format.

But what you are willing to pay for a certain book may have been influenced by market manipulation.

The guy has proven himself a scoundrel. Why anyone that knows the history would continue to do business with him is beyond me.

I can only speak for me personally, but I believe in second chances for everyone. What I don't believe in is repeat offenders being given chances and I speak with my money accordingly.

:foryou:

Great, because Doug has at least two strikes against him. Scamming client out of money and trying to slip a trimmed Ewert book through CGC again.

The guy has proven himself a scoundrel. Why anyone that knows the history would continue to do business with him is beyond me.

I can only speak for me personally, but I believe in second chances for everyone. What I don't believe in is repeat offenders being given chances and I speak with my money accordingly.

:foryou:

Great, because Doug has at least two strikes against him. Scamming client out of money and trying to slip a trimmed Ewert book through CGC again.

Those are two of the reasons I don't buy from Pedigree any longer. There are others.

I've bid on about five items in Pedigree auctions... at least one was in excess of $10k. Every time I wound up winning at the maximum bid I placed. Could be just coincidence I suppose, but with the rest of the history there I've decided to no longer participate in Pedigree auctions.

As I have posted numerous times, Doug has gone above and beyond helping me find some of my grails. His unconditional love for the Dead aids in my gratitude to Doug mind you. :insane:

I have to say, I am +1 to what "taxguy" wrote. There has been a few books and one above $10k too, that I have won exactly to my maximum bid. Furthermore......I HAVE also had this happen more than once to me on C-LINK'S Auctions TOO. :baiting:

As this thread seems to show, MANY Comic Auction Sites seem to all have certain commanalities. :gossip:

It's just astonishing to me to see this behavior out of him. If there were only some way to predict which people would do shady -- or flat out illegal -- things.

If only there were a way.

Aside from previous shady -- or flat out illegal -- behavior, that is.

If only there were a way.

meh

let it go, buttock. he's a nice guy. i'm sure there's nothing strange going on here.

once he's had another ten hours or so to make something up that fits the evidence find this thread and explain everything, i'm sure we'll have the 411

let it go, buttock. he's a nice guy. i'm sure there's nothing strange going on here.

once he's had another ten hours or so to make something up that fits the evidence find this thread and explain everything, i'm sure we'll have the 411

^^

And that worked out soooooooo well for him the last time he tried it. doh!

Not defending or condemning anyone here, but this is at best a slippery slope until someone has hard, concrete evidence. It does appear that something is off, but it does not give anyone the right to bring out the pitch forks and torches. Time here is going to be the great equalizer and in the meantime, if you do not feel comfortable bidding on certain auctions it is well within your rights.

Not defending or condemning anyone here, but this is at best a slippery slope until someone has hard, concrete evidence. It does appear that something is off, but it does not give anyone the right to bring out the pitch forks and torches. Time here is going to be the great equalizer and in the meantime, if you do not feel comfortable bidding on certain auctions it is well within your rights.

The problem Joe, for Doug, is his past. People are looking at the pattern of behavior and the personality traits that led him to the problems he had in his first career.

Would you trust Madoff with your money to invest? No? Then why trust it with a convicted embezzler?

Would you trust Madoff with your money to invest? No? Then why trust it with a convicted embezzler?

'Cause he's got sweet books that people need for their Registry Sets? (shrug)

At this point, I wouldn't read too much into Doug not posting in this thread. No judgment on whether something is afoul. But this is a Sunday Super Bowl evening and not everyone lives on these boards. Not to mention, Doug doesn't participate much here except to advertise the auctions.

One key difference between live floor bidding and internet auctions is that in live floor bidding the house doesn't know what the max number in a bidders head is.

However, an internet auction house can see exactly what a bidders max bid is and can easily shill it up to that amount.

Frankly, I'm surprised more folks aren't amazed at how many times a persons max bid is realized to the penny.

Ding!

(but he's such a nice guy...)

The problem Joe, for Doug, is his past. People are looking at the pattern of behavior and the personality traits that led him to the problems he had in his first career.

I fully understand that Brian, but the mob mentality here has once ahead gotten ahead of the evidence. I agree it does not look good, but I would like to see something more concrete.

i'm not worried about waiting to see how this is going to be explained, personally.

if i had been someone who had as many dark clouds in my past as Doug has had, i'd probably be working my asss off to make sure that nothing i did going forward could even be possibly misconstrued as 'fishy.'

but i see where you're coming from. i just have less concern at this point. fool me once, etc etc

I fully understand that Brian, but the mob mentality here has once ahead gotten ahead of the evidence. I agree it does not look good, but I would like to see something more concrete.

I totally understand that -- just be aware that the mob this time has something tangible and concrete to point to which make this "speculation" more than just idle speculation. With that said, I'm certainly willing to wait for the evidence. I've said that while I like Doug -- I'd have a hard time ever consigning stuff given the past issues.

What point of my initial post was lost in translation? I am not condoning or condemning. I would like to see something more concrete. I agree it does not look good but I give everyone the benefit of the doubt.