• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree Auction Sales and Relistings. Legit?

901 posts in this topic

General question on auctions. If the Winning bidder backs out or doesn't pay, is it protocol to contact the 2nd highest bidder like with the E-Bay 2nd chance offer ?

If the 2nd chance offer was applied, shilling on one's own book would be more risky.

General question on auctions. If the Winning bidder backs out or doesn't pay, is it protocol to contact the 2nd highest bidder like with the E-Bay 2nd chance offer ?

If the 2nd chance offer was applied, shilling on one's own book would be more risky.

I can't answer certain across all auction houses or that it still occurs but that did occur on a HA Signature Auction. I got a call from HA saying that the high bidder backed out and they offered the book to me at my high bid. That was a while back.

I can't answer certain across all auction houses or that it still occurs but that did occur on a HA Signature Auction. I got a call from HA saying that the high bidder backed out and they offered the book to me at my high bid. That has a while back.

Actually, if an auction house is doing that on a regular basis, it's a scam. Doing that would allow them to shill to the highest possible amount that a true buyer is willing to pay.

A legit second chance offer would actually be the amount just over the the second highest legitimate bid.

That being said, even the best auction houses are going to have a high bidder back out every once in a while.

Yes, I've noticed similar observations Brent... I suppose if he is the owner of the books and then "wins" them it's pretty obvious he's bidding on them on himself.

Sure hope this isn't the case...it will end up ruining people's trust in Doug. Let's hope there's a reasonable explanation.

paging FT

paging FT

:hi:

Will we ever know the truth about all this? Doubtful.

However, in reaching your own conclusions, you must take into account past conduct as a potential indicator of current conduct.

Given that the individual concerned is a disbarred lawyer who was thrown out of his profession for embezzling his clients, who then attempted to knowingly launder a Ewert book through CGC in an effort to receive an upgrade and a 'virgin' serial number...

The only thing I'd be surprised about is if anyone's surprised. :/

Yes, I've noticed similar observations Brent... I suppose if he is the owner of the books and then "wins" them it's pretty obvious he's bidding on them on himself.

Sure hope this isn't the case...it will end up ruining people's trust in Doug. Let's hope there's a reasonable explanation.

paging FT

paging FT

However, in reaching your own conclusions, you must take into account past conduct as a potential indicator of current conduct.

Given that the individual concerned is a disbarred lawyer who was thrown out of his profession for embezzling his clients, who then attempted to knowingly launder a Ewert book through CGC in an effort to receive an upgrade and a 'virgin' serial number...

:o I didn't know that, wow I'll never go to his site now.

paging FT

paging FT

:o I didn't know that, wow I'll never go to his site now.

Not one of the hobby's brightest days...

paging FT

paging FT

Winner winner, chicken dinner! Nothing would surprise me coming from this guy. I would guess if he opened some comicbook investment "opportunity" you would have a ton of people lining up to hand over their cash. Just plan amazing. I also wonder if sometimes he doesn't have that much merchandise in his auction so he just re-cycles some of his stuff through the auction to make it look better and when stuff doesn't go for what he wants, he snags it and saves it for fluffing a future auction.

this is a damn shame. Not that I bid much on Pedigree auction but this is a sad state if this is true.

I see now instead of having bloated reserves that many complained about, lets not have them but lets blatantly cheat instead?

To some degree, shill bidding and its acceptance is made most evident by our apathy, or our willingness to participate in any auction format.

With auctions held at a physical location, you mandate on-floor bidding only (no phone bids) and hold the event two levels below underground to make sure there aren't any cellphones or laptops manipulating the results. Online, you pipe all incoming online bids through 'black' wire, and bind bidder accounts to a social security/insurance number.

Are these steps taking things too far? Perhaps for some, and for others it still wouldn't be enough. One things for sure - the folks in this hobby with the deepest pockets are the ones most sensitive about privacy, so you'd certainly see a drop at the top-scale of bidding activity, and very likely due to buyers backing out from the full-cavity probe bidding requirement.

To say nothing of the hostile energy that technological site controls to lock-out shills would elicit - in many ways, this would be very similar to making a case to auction/consignment site owners that you're going to charge them to make site changes that will help them pay their creditors quicker.

In this light, acceptance becomes a moot point because unless non-participation occurs en masse, there is no compelling need for change. As long as apathy prevails, the most that discussion like this can tease out is suspicion. Can shill bidding be stopped? Of course it can, and the above suggestions would aptly handle the task. Whether the idea will receive a warm reception is another thing altogether.

To some degree, shill bidding and its acceptance is made most evident by our apathy, or our willingness to participate in any auction format.

It doesn't matter to me in the slightest, because no matter whether I'm buying a book at a fixed price from a dealer site or I'm bidding in an auction, I know what I'm willing to pay either way. So the shilling at worst just forces me to pay what I was already willing to pay.

Do I think shilling is ethical? Not in the slightest. It's misleading and you shouldn't do it, it's taking advantage of people who believe in the format.

The guy has proven himself a scoundrel. Why anyone that knows the history would continue to do business with him is beyond me.

I can only speak for me personally, but I believe in second chances for everyone. What I don't believe in is repeat offenders being given chances and I speak with my money accordingly.

:foryou:

It doesn't matter to me in the slightest, because no matter whether I'm buying a book at a fixed price from a dealer site or I'm bidding in an auction, I know what I'm willing to pay either way. So the shilling at worst just forces me to pay what I was already willing to pay.

Do I think shilling is ethical? Not in the slightest. It's misleading and you shouldn't do it, it's taking advantage of people who believe in the format.

Look, I don't want to be an arse about this, but...why would you be happy giving your patronage to a business (and effectively helping them stay in business) if you considered their conduct unethical? (shrug)

So you don't care that you could have gotten it for less? Then why buy at auctions at all?

So you don't care that you could have gotten it for less? Then why buy at auctions at all?

Absolutely agree. Shilling is costing you money by eliminating great deals that sometimes come along in an auction format.