• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

At 40, Comics aren't Enough

60 posts in this topic

Comics are therapy for me. They are an exercise, a study in pure stress reduction.

But managing just under 50 employees in the media company (gotta beat FMLA) & another 25 +/- employees in the real estate, citrus (thank you Tropicana), & physical therapy rackets --- in combination with my approaching 40th birthday in a few short weeks & never ending litigation with government --- resulted in a diagnosis of hypertension back in October, even though I’m the correct weight for my height.

Doc says it is 100% stress related. Frequent exercise, constant recreational reading (what I call my studies), and comics, comics, comics, are my traditional methods for fighting stress.

But they haven’t been enough.

So, it was time to make a change.

For the past few weeks I have been getting up at 5:30 am to be at Metropolitan Ministries, the most respected homeless shelter here in Tampa, at 6:20 am until 8 am. I am doing hands-on, kitchen work as a volunteer & it has been tons of fun for a guy who can barely use the microwave.

In addition to this, I now leave my office at 4:30 in the afternoon & refuse to answer my cell or emails until I get back to my desk at 8:15 am the next day. No weekend cheating either.

Are comics enough for you?

service.jpg

Kitchen.jpg

This morning's Tupenny effort:

chopchop.jpg

For the past few weeks I have been getting up at 5:30 am to be at Metropolitan Ministries, the most respected homeless shelter here in Tampa, at 6:20 am until 8 am. I am doing hands-on, kitchen work as a volunteer & it has been tons of fun for a guy who can barely use the microwave.

(worship) (worship) (worship)

Top work, that man!

I don't know if I'd say guilt is the motivator. Guilt is stressful in and of itself.

I've found that doing work for others is one of the greatest joys you can receive.

Bill, that is right on! Great work!

As far as the hypertension goes, how is your sleep? I've found that as I get older my sleep seems to be less restful than it used to be.

Comics are therapy for me. They are an exercise, a study in pure stress reduction.

But managing just under 50 employees in the media company (gotta beat FMLA) & another 25 +/- employees in the real estate, citrus (thank you Tropicana), & physical therapy rackets, in combination with my approaching 40th birthday in a few short weeks & never ending litigation with government, resulted in a diagnosis of hypertension back in October, even though I’m the correct weight for my height.

Doc says it is 100% stress related. Frequent exercise, constant recreational reading (what I call my studies), and comics, comics, comics, are my traditional methods for fighting stress.

But they haven’t been enough.

So, it was time to make a change.

In addition to this, I now leave my office at 4:30 in the afternoon & refuse to answer my cell or emails until I get back to my desk at 8:15 am the next day. No weekend cheating either.

Are comics enough for you?

service.jpg

Kitchen.jpg

This morning's Tupenny effort:

chopchop.jpg

Good stuff,I did volunteer work at a homeless shelter for about 6 months till it got closed down and I didn`t realize how bad some people got it.

also good idea about the cellphone, I might try the weekend part. (thumbs u

I've done volunteer work myself. Greater Lowell Food bank in my city. I usually do the grunt work of running up and down streets dropping off paper bags and then coming back in a week to pick them up if people donate cans.

I've also done reptile and amphibian presentations to special needs students a couple towns over. That was a lot of fun!!

I get my most rewarding time with my amazing girlfriend. Never been so happy! Combine time with my girlfriend and both of us hunting down comics and it's always a blast!

BTW, having a good/trusted second in command helps tremendously as well .......

I can attest to that. I have a guy who handles stuff like scanner maintenance, ordering of supplies and many other duties so i don't have to get involved.

As far as stress is concerned I made a promise to myself that when I leave work, work stays behind. I take nearly no work related baggage home with me. I will occasionally get a call on the weekends but overall, it's worked out quite well.

Work is work, home is home.

As far as the hypertension goes, how is your sleep? I've found that as I get older my sleep seems to be less restful than it used to be.

That's happening to me as well. Sucks big time as I really like my sleep and don't function well on little sleep. :(

Anyone think their job is more stressful than most??

My thing is that I have a very tedious job with a lot of responsibilty. I have to work on all the holidays because this is not a job where everyone goes home for the weekend. There's two of us here either one of us is here every day of the year...

but this doesn't equal stress because I love my job.

I would be 50 times more stressed if I was making minimum wage at Dunkin Donuts. Nothing against that job. I commend anyone who can stand people enough to work something similar with very little reward.

Good for you to find such a productive and thoughtful endeavor to relieve you of yours (thumbs u

As a Catholic I'm an expert on the subject of Guilt.

I like to make use of General for Public Apologies.

The shelter is for much needed stress combat though.

Taking time out of your week to offer your time for noble causes is good for the soul. I do commumity work on a regular basis and am in the process of figuring out a way to do more of it.

Wow, after seeing that picture of you flipping the bird over and over again, I have to say this is a nice ray of sunshine. (thumbs u

Andy

:sorry:

Bill you are a better man then me. (worship)

Not that being better then me is is a tough task but I still applaud your efforts. :golfclap:

BTW don't burn the candle at both ends. I've had my full time job and ran a business for years and always felt exhausted.