• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re-submitted AF#15, Got Downgraded

75 posts in this topic

I just found out through online tracking that it is now has a 4.5.

I still love the book, but it will depress me a bit every time I now look at it. Lesson learned, be careful when re-submitting.

I think if you are really honest with yourself, you listened to the praise from others and thought the book would get a bump up, thereby netting you potentially thousands on a book of this nature.

I'm not having a go at you for this, however you pays your money, you takes your chance.

Personally I would be sick as a pig if my AF15 got downgraded (not that I own one-I wish).

I think even if the case had a crack in it, as long as the book is undamaged, don't re-submit.

Lesson learned? An AF 15 in a cracked slab weighing in as a 5.0, is still more desirable and sellable than an AF 15 weighing in as a 4.5 in a pretty new shiny plastic case. (thumbs u

2c

I still love the book, but it will depress me a bit every time I now look at it. Lesson learned, be careful when re-submitting.

I think if you are really honest with yourself, you listened to the praise from others and thought the book would get a bump up, thereby netting you potentially thousands on a book of this nature.

I'm not having a go at you for this, however you pays your money, you takes your chance.

Personally I would be sick as a pig if my AF15 got downgraded (not that I own one-I wish).

I think even if the case had a crack in it, as long as the book is undamaged, don't re-submit.

Lesson learned? An AF 15 in a cracked slab weighing in as a 5.0, is still more desirable and sellable than an AF 15 weighing in as a 4.5 in a pretty new shiny plastic case. (thumbs u

2c

(thumbs u

I'm not sure I understand your comment on being honest with myself. I'm pretty clear in my original post I said I thought the book was under-graded, and was found wrong by the three graders this time around. I fully understand the monetary consequences and obviously don't feel too peachy now.

I didn't plan on selling this book any time soon (read - in the next 5 years, or ever), but figured since I wanted to replace the slab I might as well have a go at re-subbing it if I truly thought the downside was receiving the same grade. I'll see how I react every time I see this book (stupid to be emotional, I know), if it tortures me enough I'll sell it at some point and upgrade back. Don't have to remind me how unsavvy I am.

Crack that bad boy out. If you ever sell it you can grade it as a 5.0 It wouldn't be a stretch grade wise. You can also list it as restoration free with a money back guarantee on that issue. You may very well get a 5.0 if you did re sub it. The 4.5 grade wouldn't bug me in the least. Grade is subjective as proven even with CGC.

I hear you. It sucks. It's happened to me a few times.

I really wouldn't sweat it if you were not planning on selling it any time soon. Just enjoy the book. I crack my books out and enjoy them.

The book is the same, only the number has changed. You might try for another resub (play the odds) or compare grading notes (old label vs. new label) and see if maybe something has changed this go round...books do get damaged over time if not handled properly. They also seem to have tightened up a little bit on some things that they used to be a bit more lax on. Could be one of many things.

Bottom line, if the book is not for sale....enjoy it.

Crack that bad boy out. If you ever sell it you can grade it as a 5.0 It wouldn't be a stretch grade wise. You can also list it as restoration free with a money back guarantee on that issue. You may very well get a 5.0 if you did re sub it. The 4.5 grade wouldn't bug me in the least. Grade is subjective as proven even with CGC.

You mean similar to what Robojo does? Cracking out CGC books & selling them raw at a higher grade? Once again you've proven to be a class act all the way (thumbs u

What are you talking about?? Read my post before posting utter garbage. I said the book could be graded as a 5.0 IT WAS Graded at that grade by The CGC.. The grade given by the CGC is just there opinion. The CGC isn't always right now are they?? Or are you saying there always right? This book could come back at a 5.0 if re submitted yet again.

Robo takes a 8.0 and sells it as a 9.2 or better. That is not the case here, not even close.

He also sells restored books as un restored. Your saying the OP does this. prove it!!! You say he could be just like Robo...

Once again, that isn't the case here. Your showing your class with ignorance. This book was a 5.0 It may be once again..

Your putting the OP in the same class as Robo. That is a complete and utter insult to him.. Pure classless spewed garbage..

Maybe im reading it wrong but if the holder was damaged dont they just reholder it with the same grade or did you want them to regrade it im sorry if i misunderstood this .

If it were me id wait a couple of months then crack it and send it back maybe getting lucky i feel bad for you id be very angry .Its a great book either way and i die to own a 4.5 but i feel your pain .I guess some of it depends on how much you paid for the book also if you bought it for 10K or more i guess that stinks but if you got a deal on it them id just enjoy it either way

What are you talking about?? Read my post before posting utter garbage. I said the book could be graded as a 5.0 IT WAS Graded at that grade by The CGC.. The grade given by the CGC is just there opinion. The CGC isn't always right now are they?? Or are you saying there always right? This book could come back at a 5.0 if re submitted yet again.

Robo takes a 8.0 and sells it as a 9.2 or better. That is not the case here, not even close.

He also sells restored books as un restored. Your saying the OP does this. prove it!!! You say he could be just like Robo...

Once again, that isn't the case here. Your showing your class with ignorance. This book was a 5.0 It may be once again..

Your putting the OP in the same class as Robo. That is a complete and utter insult to him.. Pure classless spewed garbage..

I'm insulting you, not the OP :screwy:

You were basically giving him a page from Robojo's playbook - which, come to think of it, isn't really that surprising considering your Hall of Shame status, and the alarming lack of both class & morals you repeatedly show here on the boards.

their

they're

and don't use :takeit: ever again

2c

(thumbs u

I don't see how Freddie's somewhat condescending post merits a thumbs up. The real issue here is why was the book downgraded.

Bomber Bob suggested calling CGC for grader notes. That deserves a (thumbs u

I suggest calling CGC for grader notes on both the original submission (hope you have the slab number for it) and the new submission. If the notes are the same then I would really press for a reason for the downgrade. And lettuce know here. Any insight in the current grading process is valuable. If a 4.5 and a 5.0 have the same grading notes, it would be good to know.

How many people actually start threads or complain when they receive a grade bump?

If the book is not for sale then why have it regraded? It seems that the gamble was taken for monetary gain and this time the OP lost. :shrug:

.... If the book is not for sale then why have it regraded? It seems that the gamble was taken for monetary gain and this time the OP lost. :shrug:

Did you read the OP? Two reasons were given. (shrug) (shrug)

I did read it. We all know that grading a front and back cover from a scan is not very accurate. Did the OP get the graders notes?

Because several people said it looked better from a scan that would lead someone to take a gamble with a 10k book?

It's a gamble that can be very rewarding and it can also be very costly. I'm sure this thread would not be here if it graded out at a 6.0.

.... If the book is not for sale then why have it regraded? It seems that the gamble was taken for monetary gain and this time the OP lost. :shrug:

Did you read the OP? Two reasons were given. (shrug) (shrug)

I did read it. We all know that grading a front and back cover from a scan is not very accurate. Did the OP get the graders notes?

Because several people said it looked better from a scan that would lead someone to take a gamble with a 10k book?

It's a gamble that can be very rewarding and it can also be very costly. I'm sure this thread would not be here if it graded out at a 6.0.

But it IS here due to a downgrade. I would think anyone using or interested in TPG grading would be interested in why it was downgraded while still in an, albeit, mildly damaged, slab.

I would also think anyone using or interested in TPG grading would be interested in why a book would get an upgrade.