• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the next comic book Age?

132 posts in this topic

How can an ENTIRE AGE last only 8 years....?

hm

To factor in the implosion of the comics market. It doesn't make sense to have an "age" where circulation on any given book could be reduced by a factor of ten or twelve.

Thank you both for answering a rhetorical question.

:acclaim:

The answer is it cannot. This silly need to "name" ages is a fool's errand.

This silly need to "name" ages is a fool's errand.

hm

So attempting to subdivide an art form based on time, stylistic changes, social influences and economic forces is a waste of time. Who knew?

Enjoy your comic.

lol

Yes, that's exactly what I said, and meant, precisely. You didn't ignore the context of the conversation AT ALL!

:eyeroll:

Apparently, you are incapable of telling the difference between STYLISTIC designations that mark major turning points in artforms over a large number of years, and the A.D.D. of comic book fanboys who feel the need to define "time periods" that are less than a decade, using names that that do not reflect the actual changes in the artform.

Do you know how long the Classical period in music lasted? From about 1685 to about 1800. The Romantic? About 1800-1870. Impressionist? About 1870-1920.

These are large swaths of time, and they are so named based on predominant style...that is, their names bear some resemblance to the artform itself, instead of simply being a bastardization of the Periodic table based on the tradition of referring to "original comics" as "the Golden Age of comics."

Do you know that the Silver Age DID NOT call itself "The Silver Age" while it was happening...? Do you know that no other hobby/artform has "Gold, Silver, Bronze, Copper, etc." ages...?

Just answer this very simple, very easy question, since you failed to understand what I said in the first place:

How many "ages" will there have been in comics history by the year 2100?

And...let's ask some follow ups....

How many of these "age distinctions" will the collecting community tolerate before it becomes absurd? Will we have gone through the entire table of elements by then? Element names which continue to bear no resemblance to the artform itself? Are we going to have an Yttrium Age....?

Hmmm....?

(And please, no one bring up "chromium." Elemental chromium is a metal; comic book "chromium" is a patented printing process on plastic, which contains no actual chromium.)

No, sir, I never said attempting to subdivide an artform AS A WHOLE was a bad thing. Do not ignore context.

lol

Yes, that's exactly what I said, and meant, precisely. You didn't ignore the context of the conversation AT ALL!

:eyeroll:

Apparently, you are incapable of telling the difference between STYLISTIC designations that mark major turning points in artforms over a large number of years, and the A.D.D. of comic book fanboys who feel the need to define "time periods" that are less than a decade, using names that that do not reflect the actual changes in the artform.

Do you know how long the Classical period in music lasted? From about 1685 to about 1800. The Romantic? About 1800-1870. Impressionist? About 1870-1920.

These are large swaths of time, and they are so named based on predominant style...that is, their names bear some resemblance to the artform itself, instead of simply being a bastardization of the Periodic table based on the tradition of referring to "original comics" as "the Golden Age of comics."

Do you know that the Silver Age DID NOT call itself "The Silver Age" while it was happening...? Do you know that no other hobby/artform has "Gold, Silver, Bronze, Copper, etc." ages...?

Just answer this very simple, very easy question, since you failed to understand what I said in the first place:

How many "ages" will there have been in comics history by the year 2100?

And...let's ask some follow ups....

How many of these "age distinctions" will the collecting community tolerate before it becomes absurd? Will we have gone through the entire table of elements by then? Element names which continue to bear no resemblance to the artform itself? Are we going to have an Yttrium Age....?

Hmmm....?

(And please, no one bring up "chromium." Elemental chromium is a metal; comic book "chromium" is a patented printing process on plastic, which contains no actual chromium.)

No, sir, I never said attempting to subdivide an artform AS A WHOLE was a bad thing. Do not ignore context.

lol

No. I understood exactly what you were saying. You're caught up in semantics. Would you prefer the term "Era"?

To answer your questions:

1. 37.5 ages or approximately = to: Don't know, don't care.

2. Yes. I eagerly await the Unununium Age.