• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your pick for the big silver-age book of 2010?

114 posts in this topic

I think Mary Jane is the most important female in the Marvel Universe.

Strange as it is, I'll have to say +1

What impact has she had beyond Spider Man's book?

What impact has the Wasp had ever?

Sue Storm, I can sort of buy. She's the top of the female supes. And the arguement could be made for Jean Grey.

But, MJ is the tops.

I'd say Aunt May has had a bigger impact than the Wasp. :baiting:

Sue Storm.

Put it this way, if MJ were so important to the Marvel U, would there be a mandate from editorial to write her out of the Spidey mythos.

Eventually, reader pressure is going to bring her back, but you don't just "poof, gone" a character if she's so important, you have the absence mean something.

Volume wise, ASM definitely tops Batman in the SA, but price wise the Bronze Age Adams Batman run holds up very well and they are probably close to ASM in combined raw and slabbed volume as well. Over the past 10 years or so that I have been selling at local shows (and the net as well) I have sold significantly more BA Adams Batbooks at cons than I do late SA or BA Spideys in the same grade.

I find this statement to be quite shocking. You are saying that the Adams run on Batbooks outsells the entire output of late SA and BA Spideys?

The Adams Batrun is equivalent to what, 20 issues or thereabouts? And you've sold more of them in same grade as 100 issue run of ASM? (shrug)

Yes. The only place I can move HG Spideys above #150 for a reasonable discount to OSPG is here on the boards. Locally - good luck even with NM- or better copies even at 50% off - they are just too common. The OSPG needs to come down on these issues quite a bit IMHO as they do not sell for those prices in 8.0/9.0/9.2 unless you find someone desperate to fill a hole in their run. You can probably buy slabbed 9.4 copies of most issues outside of #194 for guide or less.

As far as late SA - #150, I had a killer OO run a couple of years ago of ASM #51 - #150. The slabbed copies sold on the net (30 or so 9.2 - 9.6 books), but the rest of them (avg. grade 8.0/8.5 raw) took a long time to move locally and on the net without a steep discount. I have heard similar comments from other dealers at the shows as well. My guess is that most collectors either have them or are just missing the keys, and the sticker shock on 8.0 - 9.0 raw copies does not help locally as well for late 60s ASMs.

On the flip side, I can move FN or better condition Adams Batbooks above guide with no problem locally. The only problem is finding them cheap enough to flip for a reasonable profit margin. lol

Sue Storm.

Put it this way, if MJ were so important to the Marvel U, would there be a mandate from editorial to write her out of the Spidey mythos.

Eventually, reader pressure is going to bring her back, but you don't just "poof, gone" a character if she's so important, you have the absence mean something.

I didn't even know she was gone. She'll be back. Marvel will make it a maxi-series event!

? How is Peter Parkers GF/Wife the most important female in the Marvel UNIVERSE...lol.. I see her being the most important in Spideys world... but she seems no more relevant than say... Jane Foster or Betty Ross.

IMO it's def one of these women...

Invisible woman, Jean Grey, Madame Web, Storm, Wasp (Founding member of the Avengers, one time leader and I think she even named the Avengers)

Sue Storm.

I didn't even know she was gone. She'll be back. Marvel will make it a maxi-series event!

Well the Wasp is dead too actually. That being said, the Wasp's impact was more far reaching to the rest of the Marvel U than say, MJ. I agree you could argue for Jean Grey, Sue Storm or Storm as well... regardless, in the context of the Avengers movie, the Wasp is still their most important female character and a founding member who will make the movie. But by all means, please pass along those nice looking TTA 44s!!!!

Too true...that's never happened before to a major character in the Marvel Universe such as Reed Richards. Or has it? :baiting:

It will be interesting to see how spidey does going forward. I think that the X-Men took over in the late 80s after the McSpidey run (and sporadically before then) and through the 90s. Wolverine (and to a lesser extent Deadpool - but that is likely a 80s Punisher like fad) is the most popular Marvel heroes now, and unless Marvel smartens up with Spidey they will have a hard time changing that.

WRT the long run, depending on how far out you are looking there really are only 3 safe bets for comics - Action #1, Tec #27 and AF #15.

Not to split hairs, but the McSpidey run started in Mar 1988 and ran through Jan 1990. Adjectiveless McSpidey ran from Aug 1990 - #17 Nov 1991.

It will be interesting to see how spidey does going forward. I think that the X-Men took over in the late 80s after the McSpidey run (and sporadically before then) and through the 90s. Wolverine (and to a lesser extent Deadpool - but that is likely a 80s Punisher like fad) is the most popular Marvel heroes now, and unless Marvel smartens up with Spidey they will have a hard time changing that.

WRT the long run, depending on how far out you are looking there really are only 3 safe bets for comics - Action #1, Tec #27 and AF #15.

Not to split hairs, but the McSpidey run started in Mar 1988 and ran through Jan 1990. Adjectiveless McSpidey ran from Aug 1990 - #17 Nov 1991.

True enough. If I recall, though, the X-Men run was still going strong then as well. For whatever reason Marvel has let its flagship character slide (sort of like DC with Superman but nowhere near as badly) and the X-Men/Wolverine have taken the lead since then. To be honest, the only ASM storyline I have read since the McSpidey run as a kid was the Sins of the Past due to it really pushing the envelope and getting some Spidey fanboy friends all hot and bothered. lol

I think I would say Jean Grey is top girl for Marvel.

The whole Phoenix saga, can you think of another female who had such a prominent role in as major story-line (please don't include One More Day)?

Strange as it is, I'll have to say +1

What impact has she had beyond Spider Man's book?

Good point. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of popularity. I can't muster any enthusiasm for the Wasp. The Wasp and Ant-Man register the same feeling of (shrug) for me. I think you are correct that TTA 44 may take off if she is in the movie but I would think that any monetary increase would be a result of there being only 12 copies available in 9.2 or better. Then again, I could be wrong lol

Hmmm. Not enough DC on this list.

Isnt there talk of a Supergirl movie? Once that's more definite, I would think that ACTION #252 would be included on this list. Same with Wonder Woman #105 should see some interest.

I will go out on a limb and say that the GL Showcases and 1-10 will also become a hot item. As we all know, if the film is a success, they will stay hot...I am getting the feeling, however, that if one was looking to make a profit, to sell all their GLs in the weeks just before the release.

I would also conjecture that the upcoming Sgt Rock film will cause a spike in the numerous first apperance of Sgt. Rock in OOAW and (to a much lesser degree) his other BIG 5 protoype apps.

Hmmm. Not enough DC on this list.

Isnt there talk of a Supergirl movie? Once that's more definite, I would think that ACTION #252 would be included on this list. Same with Wonder Woman #105 should see some interest.

I will go out on a limb and say that the GL Showcases and 1-10 will also become a hot item. As we all know, if the film is a success, they will stay hot...I am getting the feeling, however, that if one was looking to make a profit, to sell all their GLs in the weeks just before the release.

I would also conjecture that the upcoming Sgt Rock film will cause a spike in the numerous first apperance of Sgt. Rock in OOAW and (to a much lesser degree) his other BIG 5 protoype apps.

Plenty of profit has already been made on GL #1-10 and SC #22 if you bought HG copies prior to last summer's run up. I think that books like GL #6 and maybe #16 have some room to go yet, but the other main/semi key issues like GL #1, #7 and #8 have already seen a big jump.

SC #22 is pulling back just like Avengers #1 right now and probably has a bit more room to drop. I missed it tonight due to a day of flight delays, but I was shocked to see the CGC 5.0 Avengers #1 only hit $1321 on Clink. That was a $2K+ book last spring.