• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is an appropriate finder's fee?

7 posts in this topic

Is there a "rule of thumb" for the appropriate amount one should pay for a finder's fee? Say you were looking for a hard-to-find comic in the $20K range and wanted to entice people to help you by offering a finder's fee for information leading to a successful transaction - what would be considered a fair amount to offer? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Gene (and no, I'm not looking to spend $20K for a comic...just curious)

Is there a "rule of thumb" for the appropriate amount one should pay for a finder's fee? Say you were looking for a hard-to-find comic in the $20K range and wanted to entice people to help you by offering a finder's fee for information leading to a successful transaction - what would be considered a fair amount to offer? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Gene (and no, I'm not looking to spend $20K for a comic...just curious)

A hunk of beef jerky and a tub of Ben & Jerry's seems to placate most all of the comic collectors I know... confused-smiley-013.gif

I agree with Brent: Normally 10% is fair but for that price range, I'd be OK with 5%.

Would it make a difference if you weren't actively soliciting someone to help you find such a book, but someone you knew (e.g., a friend, a fellow Board member) who volunteered his help for free? Say you posted in the "Marketplace" section that you wanted to buy a FF #1 CGC 8.5 and a fellow Board member PM'd you saying that he knew someone with a copy and would ask them on your behalf if they would consider a sale. Say that a deal is done at $20K. The Board member has not asked for a finder's fee and nor was one offered in exchange for his help, but you wanted to be a good guy and cut him in on the action. Would you still offer $1K (5%) or more? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Gene

It actually does make a difference (to me) if someone offers to help and no finders fee was offered or asked for. In that case, to be a nice guy and show my appreciation, I would offer some token of compensation but it might only be a couple hundred $. I certainly wouldn't feel an obligation other than to express my thanks.

Take Ian for example. He's enlisted Board members help to find the remaining books on his list but I don't think I've seen mention of a finders fee being offered. I've looked around and tried to find his wants of my own free will because it's fun. If I actually found something he needed I wouldn't expect anything more than his thanks, even if I found a Double Action #1.