• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was there not a Peter Parker variant included in a newspaper?

8 posts in this topic

Does anyone know? I do not know where I first heard this but its been on my mind and wanted to see if it was just me: I heard or read somewhere there was an issue of Peter Parker (v2) that was put in newspapers from a certain city (dallas? houston?) wiht a variant cover. Not sure what issue. And I am not talking about the Spider-man dallas gazette or houston gazette issues from the late 70's and early 80's, this was something recent since the Peter Parker series restarted. Thank you

Does anyone know? I do not know where I first heard this but its been on my mind and wanted to see if it was just me: I heard or read somewhere there was an issue of Peter Parker (v2) that was put in newspapers from a certain city (dallas? houston?) wiht a variant cover. Not sure what issue. And I am not talking about the Spider-man dallas gazette or houston gazette issues from the late 70's and early 80's, this was something recent since the Peter Parker series restarted. Thank you

I think they reported this happening in CBG. You might want to email them and ask them. If I remember correctly, this wasn't a variant.. just a regular issue that someone was buying and inserting into the newspapers... possibly in conjunction with the Spider-man movie (?) or Free Comics Day.

Hope this helps.

Don't know about Peter Parker but I believe a large quantity of the 9 cent FF #60 was inserted in the Baltimore Sun newspaper as promotion for the Baltimore Comic-con.

Jim

You're right. It was for the 2002 Baltimore Con and was inserted into the Baltimore Sun. (And it DOES seem to be a variant with a different back cover.) Of course, since there are 200,000 copies floating around...

http://www.strange-haven.com/news/070802/news3.html

As mentioned earlier, Marvel and retailer Marc Nathan, organizer of the Baltimore Comicon chose this weekend to confirm what may be the biggest retail order of a single comic by a single retailer ever.

Nathan, who in addition to organizing the con is also the owner of Cards, Comics & Collectibles in Reisterstown, Maryland has placed an order for 200,000 copies of Fantastic Four #60, the stand-alone ‘Nine Cents’ issue featuring the debut of the title’s new regular creative team Mark Waid and Mike Wieringo.

The 200k copies will be used as a promo for the con (taking place on October 26th-27th) and will be inserted into the Baltimore Sun the week before the show. Nathan will receive a customized cover for the event with a promo on the bottom of the page reading something along the lines of, “Meet writer Mark Waid at the Baltimore Comicon this coming weekend”, along with information on the con.

According to Nathan, the back cover will also be customized for the con and local comics shops, with part of the back cover promoting the show and the rest used to list all Baltimore and DC area comics shops for people unable to make the show.

As to if and how this affects overall orders of the issue, and Diamond’s previous announcement that the issue may be allocated to retailers, Quesada explained there is a relation between the two.

Diamond’s allocation warning came out when Marvel first became aware of Nathan’s plans for such a large order (350k was an early figure mentioned), because he and Jemas considered potential problems for the loss-leading promotion … for example if another retailer or two planned to place a similar order., skewing orders way beyond their projections.

Marvel worked out a separate deal with Nathan and Quesada said they’d perhaps be open to another similar side deal and added that because it’s been worked out, he was confident nearly all retailers (he cited the figure 99%) wouldn’t see any allocation of their orders.

Man, I wish i could remember where i read that at. I still do not think it was for the free comic day event. In my mind I feel like it was for a special event, but that it was a limited variant cover specific to that city and newspaper. Who knows, one will probably pop up sooner or later if they do exist