• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite Golden Age Comic Cover

73 posts in this topic

So many to choose from...for today only though, I'll Select All Select #1. Schomburg, Cap, Subby, Torch, the whole gang knocking on the door of the impenetrable (or is it?) Eagles Nest - cool!

24627-allcvr.jpg

24627-allcvr.jpg.5baa7fea1cc8b745ced10f1b662c4fbd.jpg

My favorites, in no particular order:

SILVER STREAK#6 Classic Jack Cole Claw Cover

FAMOUS FUNNIES#213 My favorite Frazetta Buck Rogers cover, and I own this one, so I'm biased;)

DETECTIVE COMICS#31 Classic giant Batman over Castle Cover

SUSPENSE#3

MYSTERY MEN#3 and #8 beautiful Lou Fine work, worthy of being displayed in the finest art galleries

FOUR COLOR#29(Donald Duck and the Mummy's Ring by Barks)

BATMAN#37 See the pic on my profile!

And loads of Timelys, EC's and DC's that are too numerous to mention.

#1 is More Fun 54, classic Spectre!

Others: All-American #21, classic GL, Marvel Mystery #46 giant green Hitler head, Human Torch #12 Torch burns guys arm to the bone, Famous #211 classic Buck Rodgers, Great Comics #3 taking Hitler to hell, and Dynamic #11 one of the best Chesler covers.

Batman #1, 5,

# 11Batman punching Joker

# 20 Car bursting thru cover

# 37 Joker Cover (Conrad Veidt - The Man Who Laughs - movie)

World's Fines Comics #3 Baseball cover

Detective Comics #27

#38 1st cover Robin

#73 Scarecrow Cover

#69 All Joker Covers

#71 Drawn By

#76 Jerry Robinson

Captain America #74 Cool Red Skull Cover!

John

The 1 w/ Batman brooding over the castle. I think a red hooded KKK may be in the foreground.

#31. The KKK guy is the Monk, and he's carrying a blonde gal into a gloomy old castle.

I can't choose. Too, too many. But four come to mind anyway: Detective #29 (mad scientist foiled by BM), Detective #31, Superman #14 (classic patriotic cover) and All-Select #1, one of the greatest orchestrations of action-packedness I can imagine possible.

Natcherly, I don't own a one of these, but it doesn't mean I can't appreciate them!

Wow! What a great idea for a thread! It's 12:30 AM, I just drove 6 hours from Rhode Island to Philly, and I should be going to bed, but I just have to scan a few of my favorites! Enjoy!

Horrific #3 - Ouch! The classic Don Heck bullet in the head cover!

Hooded Menace nn

Feature Comics #80 - love that skull cover

Whiz Comics #153 - Captain Marvel vs. The Grim Reaper!

Exciting Comics #58 - where's that Rhino horn aimed?

Claire Voyant #3

Planet Comics #70

Weird Science-Fantasy #29 - some have called it the greatest comic cover ever!

Other faves:

Punch Comics #12

Dozens of EC's...especially the Wood/Williamson/Frazetta sci-fi covers!

Hit Comics #5

Ghost #1

I just snagged MARVEL MYSTERY #51 off of eBay, and there's no doubt that this is among my favorite covers. Schomburg had a penchant for outrageous covers, but this one is totally bizarre! The Hooded Nazis reminded me of the KKK style killers on the cover of SUSPENSE#3 and that's what sealed the deal when I saw this book. Between this and the other stuff I've been bidding on lately, I'm gonna have to pack a lot of peanut butter sandwiches to take to work for lunch. But it's worth it for these great books. Here's a link to the MM 51 auction with the cover:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2132700729