• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The most overpriced Timely?

81 posts in this topic

Tough Kid Squad almost never sells for guide....but it's a mighty cool book...the chapter splashes are off the hook. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

What category does the Red Raven fall into, over or under? Its one of those books you almost never see listed for sale on Metro, C-Link, etc.
It is Kirby's 1st signed work, but I've never had a desire to own a copy at it's prices...

I owned on once. Was glad to see it go. Took a while to sell too.

I wouldnt say it's a super high demand book--maybe for the Kirby enthusiast :)

the majority of timely collectors i know LOVE red raven 1, myself included. not just "kirby enthusiasts." i think among timely guys, it is very much in hi-demand. the only one sold on h'tage in the last two years, a 7.5 purple, sold for BLUE GUIDE. really, none of the other timely #1's would do that--most won't sell for blue guide even when blue, except cap 1, i guess, and maybe daring 1. mc 1, as 1, aw 1, ht 1, subby 1, mystic 1, ya 1, kid 1... don't sell at guide.

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7009&Lot_No=91094

here's my little copy.

redraven.jpg

I do not know much about this book besides what I have read in OSPG and a from pics. But if the cover reflects the inside of the book even in the least, that is a "sweet" comic to own. (thumbs u

What category does the Red Raven fall into, over or under? Its one of those books you almost never see listed for sale on Metro, C-Link, etc.
It is Kirby's 1st signed work, but I've never had a desire to own a copy at it's prices...

I owned on once. Was glad to see it go. Took a while to sell too.

I wouldnt say it's a super high demand book--maybe for the Kirby enthusiast :)

(thumbs u

It's a key for Kirby people. That may be what's keeping All-Winners #1 ahead of All-Select #1, too. There are only 12 GA comics with S&K Captain America stories, so they're all in demand. Also FWIW, I think All-Winners 1&2 are the only comics with Timely's Big Three drawn by their creators; Burgos Torch, Everett Subby and S&K Cap. But, as the CGC era transitions the market from interior-based value to cover-based value, I imagine we'll see All-Select push past All-Winners, if we're not already there.

good point, and CGC slabbing is already encouraging "cover only" collectors...Interior art wise, AW 1 is superior to AS 1, but cover wise, it's opposite.

. That may be what's keeping All-Winners #1 ahead of All-Select #1, too.

All-Winners #1 is ahead of All-Select #1?

When did this happen?

the last 40 years in the guide, but we all know AS 1 has a stronger FMV (thumbs u

When did this happen?

almost twice as much in high guide. since when? aw has always been way aheads of as in guide, i'd bet. i'm at work, and not around my run of overstreets, but i'll spot check a few to confirm this when i get home.

When did this happen?

the last 40 years in the guide, but we all know AS 1 has a stronger FMV (thumbs u

That's what I meant - who cares about an irrelevant guide value, I mean in the real world of cash dollar sales.

Yet another glaring example that if Overstreet can't even get the top 50 keys close, why should the rest of it be any different?

When did this happen?

That's what I meant - who cares about an irrelevant guide value, I mean in the real world of cash dollar sales.

Yet another glaring example that if Overstreet can't even get the top 50 keys close, why should the rest of it be any different?

the guide is a guide, but CGC is changing FMV in today's market...20 years ago the guide was more relevant to pricing comics, but not so today (except for maybe non keys or modern stuff)

When did this happen?

the guide is a guide, but CGC is changing FMV in today's market...20 years ago the guide was more relevant to pricing comics, but not so today (except for maybe non keys or modern stuff)

The guide is still extremely revelvant. There is one at every dealer's table at conventions, every comic store in the world, and in most collector's homes. Even when the guide is wrong, it is still the benchmark for determing FMV by multiples applied to what is listed.

And from a non-pricing perspective, the census at CGC and results at GPA don't give you 1,000,000th the infomation in the guide about the comics themsleves and the creators who brought them to us.

The hobby without the guide would be poorer indeed.

There is so much more to the hobby than what a blasted book sells for. Heck, most of what I collect is only valuable to me and a few others. So, the guide comes into play all the time for us.

I do, at times, grow fatigued of all of the "look what Framus #2 in 10.6 sold for threads", and hence I rarely click on them anymore. This one was an exception because it talked about the reverse.

When did this happen?

The guide is still extremely revelvant. There is one at every dealer's table at conventions, every comic store in the world, and in most collector's homes. even when the guide is wrong, it is still the benchmark for determing FMV by multiples applied to what is listed.

And from a non-pricing perspective, the census at CGC and results at GPA don't give you 1,000,000th the infomation in the guide about the comics themsleves and the creators who brought them to us.

There is so much more to the hobby than what a blasted book sells for. Heck, most of what I collect is only valuable to me and a few others. So, the guide comes into play all the time for us.

I do, at times, grow fatigued of all of the "look what Framus #2 in 1.6 sold for threads", and hence I rarely click on them anymore. This one was an excpetion because it talked about the reverse.

well said you seasoned Vet :cool: now get back to your Bat 1 (thumbs u The guide is still a valuable tool for the novice collector as well. (thumbs u

I've never advocated a hobby without the guide. And I understand that when pricing 50,000+ different books you can't be accurate on all of them - but couldn't some effort be exerted to at least be somewhat accurate on the top books in the hobby?

If you get those correct, people don't notice the minor mistakes quite so much.

When did this happen?

The guide is still extremely revelvant. There is one at every dealer's table at conventions, every comic store in the world, and in most collector's homes. Even when the guide is wrong, it is still the benchmark for determing FMV by multiples applied to what is listed.

I do, at times, grow fatigued of all of the "look what Framus #2 in 10.6 sold for threads", and hence I rarely click on them anymore. This one was an excpetion because it talked about the reverse.

Well said! Long live the OSPG!

:applause:

here's my little copy.

redraven.jpg

I do not know much about this book besides what I have read in OSPG and a from pics. But if the cover reflects the inside of the book even in the least, that is a "sweet" comic to own. (thumbs u

Here is my Larson copy.....fun book.....

96599.jpg.4fa1d079aca107dc5b10500f39ffc477.jpg