• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Underrated, Overrated, JAR

41 posts in this topic

Pick a series/run/title/artist/writer/project that you think is overrated, one that you think is underrated, and one that you think is rated just about right. (JAR) Tell us why.

Afterall, life isn't fair. Some drek is praised, some brilliances go unread and some stuff gets just about the right amount of attention.

I'll start with these three recently read series, one of which inspired me to start this thread.

OVERRATED: Y:The Last Man. Wow. This book is so average. I don't hate it, but I am nowhere near blown away by it. And in every single trade, Vaughn finds a way to pull me out of the narrative with some outlandish or boorish element that defies the "brilliant" label that has been put on this book. No less than Stephen King said it was his favorite GN which just scares me. Equal parts Bad Twilight Zone and freshman year feminine psycho-babble, I remain very underwhelmed by this par book. (I have read the first five trades)

UNDERRATED: The Umbrella Academy, I, II. I love this book, and I so wanted to hate it. Handsome rock star (emo, no less) decides to write a comic book? No thanks, I gave at the Image. I put off reading it until about six months ago. I would occasionally pick it up and flip thru the trade (loved the art from the first glance) but just couldn't make myself do it. And of course, there's been good buzz on the book, but after reading it, not nearly enough. This is a great coming of age, wait, we didn't get that right, keep on coming of age book. It's about family. violence. 'merica. Pain. Love. And I'm not trying to be pretentious, cause the book isn't. It's a whole lot of fun. I really enjoyed reading, and plan on rereading the UA books. I can't wait to see what Way does next.

JAR: The Walking Dead. It deserves every bit of praise heaped upon it. No, it's not the Holy Bible, part three, (the Even Newer Testament-Zombie Edition), but it is a fine work, and I've enjoyed every trade. I recommend it as, "The zombie book written for non-zombie lovers." (to which zombie lovers always pipe up, "we love it too!". So needy, zombie lovers.)

OVERRATED: The Walking Dead. Really wanted to like this one, but I gave up after reading the first few trades. The writing and art are fine, but the concepts are just so well-trod. How many movies have I seen, and how many books have I read, with variations on the same zombie apocalypse theme? That sub-genre has already been covered in every way possible. I'd love to see some truly original horror in comics, with concepts that haven't already been mined a thousand times already.

UNDERRATED: Milk and Cheese. I know it isn't a series and a new issue hasn't come out in forever, but it was some of the funniest stuff to ever hit a comics page and I am still floored by how many people haven't read it or even heard of it.

JUST RIGHT: Goon. Hype on this book seems to have waxed and waned right along with the quality of it. When it was in the first 10 issues of Dark Horse I didn't stop hearing about it, then the heat seemed to gradually die down as the series got a little less good each consecutive month.

I sent in a letter to Wizard when I was like 12 years old. On the front of the letter I drew my best Milk and Cheese I could hoping it would make it into the magazine.

Walking Dead has expanded upon a Romero style zombie story that you simply cannot delve into in a short film. Just not enough time. It's getting a tad depressing now though. I'd like to feel good about SOME aspect of the story eventually lol

I haven't made up my mind whether or not Chew is overrated yet. I like it a lot...though in some ways it seems it's trying to be too clever. Too early. Interested in seeing where it's going.

Another one i'm liking lately is RASL..though I'm a huge Jeff Smith fan so anything he does I usually love. RASL rules!

I wanna pick up Locke and Key.

I'm very behind on modern comics though, and I think I always will be. I only have time to pick and choose what I hear is decent enough to try out. If anything gets bad reviews I usually won't bother.

OVERATED: Chew - Average art and outlawed Chicken. His power is to get psychic impressions of the food he eats."cibopathic". Read first 3 issues and didnt take much to tell its overated. Its not WD and its not Invincible either. It doesnt have the magic of either. I know all get flamed for this because of the love for this title here, but it just didnt impress at all. A low print run doesnt mean a book is great.

UNDERRATED: Nova Current Series. Apparently everyone and their brother loves this series that is reading it. I have only read one issue so far and I was intrigued. I plan to pick up about 10 and try them out soon.

JAR: Walking Dead - Its everything everybody says it is. What I like best is Kirkman's nobody is safe attitude. I think he would kill anyone if it fit the bill. Been a long time since I have read a book like that.

OVERRATED: The Walking Dead. Really wanted to like this one, but I gave up after reading the first few trades. The writing and art are fine, but the concepts are just so well-trod. How many movies have I seen, and how many books have I read, with variations on the same zombie apocalypse theme? That sub-genre has already been covered in every way possible. I'd love to see some truly original horror in comics, with concepts that haven't already been mined a thousand times already.

bitch_slap.jpg

;)

Underrated - Proof. It's starting to get recognition here, but the comic community still hasn't really picked up on it. What other indy book made 24 comics in 24 months? I'd put both creators on my underrated list as well. Grecian and Rossmo's Seven Sons was really good (particularly the art).

Overrated - Batman and Robin. I read the first 2 issues and that was it. Grant Morrison and Quitely are both overrated. Although I understood this story, unlike RIP, it didn't do much for me story-wise. A bratty kid isn't enough of a draw for my comic money. Panel by panel, Quitely's stuff is beautiful. Sequentially, I don't like it at all (and comics are sequential....duh).

JAR - Walking Dead. Sells buttloads of trades. I'd guess probably more than all books except Watchmen and Dark Knight. Kirkman is probably an easy millionaire by now. The story kicks and is the main draw. It's refreshing that a character book is one of the hottest things out there. More people should be reading Invincible because it's really his best book. :baiting:

Honorable Mentions:

Underrated - Invincible, Cowboy Ninja Viking, Amazing Spider-man :) I Kill Giants (a must read)

Overrated - Kick , Ex Machina, Demo, Pride of Baghdad, Chew (I like it, but it's early),

Underrated- Mike Baron. Moore and Miller ruled the 80's. Sucks for Baron, cause Nexus was one of the best comics ever written.

Overrated- Garth Ennis. Strings of four letter words, blasphemies and a fascination for scat do not a genius make. Arrested Development is a hellofacomedy, but a horrible place to be as a writer.

JAR- Moore and Miller. (though Miller has lost some sheen. It's a shame, but he's creeping into the underrated category)