• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most fun with comics I've had in a long, long time.

48 posts in this topic

I have always (and suspect will always) enjoyed buying collections and books more than I have selling them. I still get a thrill going through collections, especially original owner/newstand bought collections, and looking at all the books together. There is something special about having a complete set of a book. I would love to have a comic store, just to see what was brought in. I would probably be a buying fool.

I'm not sure if a lot of you collectors (or collector/dealers as blazing bob would say) have ever felt burned out on comics, but I certainly have, especially recently. For as much as I flip there's fewer and fewer books which I really relish and cherish owning. That being said, I picked up (off of craigslist of all places) a beautiful collection of early to mid 80s books (1981-1986 for the most part). It was a complete one owner collection. There were no gaps, the runs were complete and in tact. Major Marvel and DC titles including ASM, Avengers, FFs, Caps, Swamp Things, Batman, Tec, Teen Titans, Hulk, Iron Man etc.

The cost of the collection boiled down to roughly 7 cents a book. The collection was stored in brand new short boxes with brand new (basically) bags and boards. A lot of nice books and while there were a few 9.6s, most of the books were a nice 9.2 or 9.4, plenty nice to read and collect. Some issues were a little lower grade and they were the ones I suspect he read over and over again.

I enjoyed this immensely because this was the time period that I began collecting and reading comics in. The books were so much fun. I split the collection (because I couldn't find the time to drive up and get it) with a friend of mine who drove up and got it... he was able to get the GI Joes (including a 21), Transformers etc.

I just leafed through the 12 short boxes that I kept and it was a thrill. Finding a NM DK 1 was cool, but it was more fun to see how complete the runs were and to go through month by month and year by year of certain titles I'm going to buy an ASM 238 and (some more) Cap Annual 8s to slide into the time period (the only two books missing). I loved looking through the ads and letter pages as I remembered I had so carefully poured over many of these books as I grew up.

It seems strange that a collection of 80s books would be more exciting to me than buying another Avengers 4 or even when I bought my AF 15(s). But it was, and after I go out to dinner tonight, I'm looking forward to flipping through the boxes again, popping open some books, and doing some reading!

Great story, cool find. (thumbs u

I don't think your reaction is strange at all. Personally I think of that time period as a "second golden age" of comics. What was cranked out in bull pens finally gave way to some creative and artistic vision. Publishers were willing to risk a chance, especially DC Comics. A sweet bright spot for comic storytelling. :cloud9:

Congrats on the find.

In my opinion the ONLY good thing to come out of the 80's was comic books.

I began collecting aged 8 (1983), mainly on UK reprints due to the cost of US comic over here back in the day. I still remember buying my copy of X-Men 1.

These nostalgic, early memories are the main drive for my collection today.

A couple of years ago, I spotted a copy of Micronauts which I remember reading in the waiting room of my mother's dental practice. the warm fuzzy nostalgic glow ended up with me buying the entire run!

Likewise, Brian! Props for Craigslist, where in DC I find about one great deal a year.

And the best thing about early 80s collections for me is that _every_ one includes quality books like Wolverine, ASM, later Byrne X-Men, Byrne FF, Teen Titans, etc. Even Vigilante is a fun read.

Sadly--they also include the horrible Saga of the Sub-Mariner # 1. That book (of which I now have 9 copies, all by accident) is my nemesis.

I have been buying a collection, several boxes at a time from a local collector who had purchased them off the racks from the same time period Brian. I know what you mean. It has been fun seeing these all together like this.

It really isn't my focus though, and since there are so many, I've been putting the runs into sets for sale at some point. Lots and lots of work though!

I have always (and suspect will always) enjoyed buying collections and books more than I have selling them. I still get a thrill going through collections, especially original owner/newstand bought collections, and looking at all the books together. There is something special about having a complete set of a book. I would love to have a comic store, just to see what was brought in. I would probably be a buying fool.

lol

That's probably the main reason I don't have a comic store anymore. Collections would come in by the droves and I would buy them, even if I knew we couldn't afford them! New comics coming in every week from the distributor kept getting in the way of buying back issue collections

:frustrated:

I guess I havent been buying enough to not have that warm fuzzy feeling. If you feel burnt out maybe its time to diversify your collecting of what you like or take a break :shrug: I started finding more interest in off the beaten path stuff with my favorites in them like the UK marvel runs and oddball coloring books or obscure comic book releases of my favorites. As long as your happy and collecting doesnt become a chore.

Then again you could just send me all your keepers for safe keeping ?

I wonder if you were in a large city with lots of access and lots of customers, if a person could run a store based solely on vintage product. Let the other stores fight over the Diamond is sending out, and just carry an extensive amount of back issues, including Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age, Copper Age, and lots of bargain bins and second hand trades and HCs. If I was in a large city, I might try it. But unfortunately, might be hard to make that work in a city of 5,000 people.

Dale I think in a city like mine it would work. There are no stores except for one that carries a decent amount of vintage stuff and is what i call a real comic book store. There rest have issues that date back to like 1995 or if they have something older the amount they have wouldnt fill a long box and you need a mortgage to buy them regardless of condition.

There is one shop here that I think his collection would probably compete with alot of guys here. If your looking for it he probably has it, just give him a day or two to dig it out.

lol

That's probably the main reason I don't have a comic store anymore. Collections would come in by the droves and I would buy them, even if I knew we couldn't afford them! New comics coming in every week from the distributor kept getting in the way of buying back issue collections

:frustrated:

lol

I'm pretty sure a lot of us here would make terrible shopkeepers...buy everything in sight and then hide it so the customers can't buy it.

Ideally, if I were going to do this, I would try to carry only solid decent product in back issue. Something like this would be my business plan. If any of you guys do this, you can send me a cut.....

Here is how I would do it. Grading/pricing is of utmost importance on alot of this stuff. Also, let it be known that you will buy just about anything that comes in the door. Good stuff pay fairly on, don't pay much for the rest. This is where many stores go wrong. They try to steal everything and people stop bringing them product and back issues get stale.

GA - Carry as much as you can get of mainstream product. Might even carry quite a bit of Westerns if you are in the South, or if you have a market for such. Westerns, Four Colors, humor and other less product would probably need to be discounted.

SA - Obviously, you would like to have good inventory of the good stuff and move the other stuff. This is a mistake most stores make. Probably need to either have super tight grading on mid grade/lower grade product(especially post 1965) or have discount bins in which you carry this product. I would also be willing to carry Gold Key & Charlton, but only if you can sell it at a discount(with the exception of a few titles like Turok and Scooby Doo).

BA -

1970 - 1975 - I would actually want high grade(strictly graded) copies(say 8.0 or better) in inventory, and also would love to keep mid lower grade copies in the bargain bins. There are lots of people who just want to read this stuff. Especially the keys. Mid grade bronze keys sell great at guide.

1976 - 1980 - Only 9.0/9.2 stuff in inventory. Everything else goes into bargain bins unless it is a key issue.

CA - Only carry the premium stuff in back issues. New Teen Titans, Swamp Thing, Hell Blazer, Amazing Spidey, X-men, etc. Only 9.2 or better. Everything else in bargain bins.

Moderns - Carry stuff which is currently relevant, or tougher to find. Don't fill the bins full of Image and bad Valiant, or even bad Marvel and DC. Just the good stuff.

Bargain bins - You can really make some serious money here if you work at it a little. Sort the stuff, uniformly bag & board it (so it doesn't become ragged), don't put huge multiples out, just a copy or two of each at most. Use dividers. Make the stuff so cheap it seems like a good deal(translated 1.00 - 2.00 on bronze, 1.00 - .50 on everything else. Make a section especially for Kids comics(Batman Adv etc).

Carry used trades and HCs at big discounts(at least 50% off). Carry used, slightly dinged statues and sell them cheap(unless you get something good). These things are everywhere. You can buy them at shows for $5.00 sometimes.

Sell supplies cheaper than the competition. It is a completely replaceable product, so you don't have to make a fortune off of it, just call and get some more.

And finally, what to do with everything else. Depends on the space, but you can try that Image/Valiant/Icon/etc in .25 boxes, but probably would be better to just donate it, or throw it out. It really is just about unsellable.

Didn't Keith Contario do something like this with his store? Back when he was writing for the Overstreet Updates circa 1990-1991, he only carried pre-1980 backstock.

But IIRC, he relented and started carrying new issues after ASM 361 jumped from $1.25 to $8.00 within a month.

I don't know how you would make it work (ie, compete with Ebay) with the necessary overhead--you'd be utterly dependent on renewing supply (ie, a good new 3,000+ vintage (pre-1985) collection coming through every 4-6 months. Easier just to do mail-order and post "Buying" ads and/or scanning venues like Craigs List all the time.

The one store I knew in suburban Philly that did this with vintage action figures (particularly GI Joe, Star Wars) went under in less than a year when he realized he could make just as much doing mail order without the front store front.

Still--it was impressive to be able to walk in and get vintage repairs done to my old Star Wars toys (ie, replace the trap door to Millennium Falcon, a few guns for my X-Wing Fighter, or the infernal harpoon with string on my Snow Speeder).

Wow, does such a store exist? Especially that cheap-dinged statues concept. Great ideas, across the board.

Another thing I think a store could do is invest in a shrink wrap machine and bundle some complete runs or desirable sets together, priced to sell. This is where a store could beat eBay due to weight/no shipping. In fact, you'd probably be drawing in eBayers who could part them out. Not to mention the reader-fan who could grab something complete in one fell swoop.

I had both types of stores in my city a vintage toy shop with replacement parts/pop culture stuff anf comic book store. The comic book store is still there , the toys store is gone not because of lack of business just the nieghborhood changed and the rent priced him out.

I think the dale model would work and work well. I see too many store with a back issue inventory consisting of 1990 and up calling it vintage. Most look like hospitals to me all steralized and nothing but statues and books at $5 a pop as far as the eye could see. Guess Im missing the good old comic shop that has a bit of everything to it and not just modern stuff.

Didn't Keith Contario do something like this with his store? Back when he was writing for the Overstreet Updates circa 1990-1991, he only carried pre-1980 backstock.

But IIRC, he relented and started carrying new issues after ASM 361 jumped from $1.25 to $8.00 within a month.

I don't know how you would make it work (ie, compete with Ebay) with the necessary overhead--you'd be utterly dependent on renewing supply (ie, a good new 3,000+ vintage (pre-1985) collection coming through every 4-6 months. Easier just to do mail-order and post "Buying" ads and/or scanning venues like Craigs List all the time.

The one store I knew in suburban Philly that did this with vintage action figures (particularly GI Joe, Star Wars) went under in less than a year when he realized he could make just as much doing mail order without the front store front.

Still--it was impressive to be able to walk in and get vintage repairs done to my old Star Wars toys (ie, replace the trap door to Millennium Falcon, a few guns for my X-Wing Fighter, or the infernal harpoon with string on my Snow Speeder).

I don't know, but wasn't Keith located in southern Indiana or somewhere like that. As I said, you would need to be in a big city. And you would probably want to look for a strip mall with a big empty anchor store or something similar. You would need quite a bit of space. I don't think getting the product would be a problem. I know Jamie Graham has a ton of stuff come into his stores.

I know its a different collecting focus but man if the " Dale Store " existed with adding some OA pieces and sketch covers etc.. not to mention offering a cgc service in store where perhaps you can get an opinion on projected grading and you could submit thru the store.

Also for me if the store offered and outlet to getting cgc ss .

ahh to dream. Otherwise my main source of getting boxs right now is you guys on the boards and Hotflips for my supplies.

I don't know, but wasn't Keith located in southern Indiana or somewhere like that. As I said, you would need to be in a big city. And you would probably want to look for a strip mall with a big empty anchor store or something similar. You would need quite a bit of space. I don't think getting the product would be a problem. I know Jamie Graham has a ton of stuff come into his stores.

Graham Crackers? My personal experiences with the stores was a big turn off for me. Several things that happened there with buying stuff made me make a decision not to shop there at all even for supplies. Would rather pay shipping to hotflips than patronize those establishments.