• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most fun with comics I've had in a long, long time.

48 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if a lot of you collectors (or collector/dealers as blazing bob would say) have ever felt burned out on comics, but I certainly have, especially recently. For as much as I flip there's fewer and fewer books which I really relish and cherish owning. That being said, I picked up (off of craigslist of all places) a beautiful collection of early to mid 80s books (1981-1986 for the most part). It was a complete one owner collection. There were no gaps, the runs were complete and in tact. Major Marvel and DC titles including ASM, Avengers, FFs, Caps, Swamp Things, Batman, Tec, Teen Titans, Hulk, Iron Man etc.

The cost of the collection boiled down to roughly 7 cents a book. The collection was stored in brand new short boxes with brand new (basically) bags and boards. A lot of nice books and while there were a few 9.6s, most of the books were a nice 9.2 or 9.4, plenty nice to read and collect. Some issues were a little lower grade and they were the ones I suspect he read over and over again.

I enjoyed this immensely because this was the time period that I began collecting and reading comics in. The books were so much fun. I split the collection (because I couldn't find the time to drive up and get it) with a friend of mine who drove up and got it... he was able to get the GI Joes (including a 21), Transformers etc.

I just leafed through the 12 short boxes that I kept and it was a thrill. Finding a NM DK 1 was cool, but it was more fun to see how complete the runs were and to go through month by month and year by year of certain titles I'm going to buy an ASM 238 and (some more) Cap Annual 8s to slide into the time period (the only two books missing). I loved looking through the ads and letter pages as I remembered I had so carefully poured over many of these books as I grew up.

It seems strange that a collection of 80s books would be more exciting to me than buying another Avengers 4 or even when I bought my AF 15(s). But it was, and after I go out to dinner tonight, I'm looking forward to flipping through the boxes again, popping open some books, and doing some reading!

Cool stuff. I have slowly tried to rebuild a high grade collection of my favorite titles from that era and it has really kept the collecting fires burning. Collecting GA books can get frustrating as it takes time, money and patience to acquire. Some of the best stuff produced comes from the late 70's to early 80's which is when I really started to get into comics so I can totally relate. :applause:

Nice find on craigslist all I ever see is crazy asking prices for VG 80's books listed in my area. I would say my love of comics is at a all time high too. These boards made it fun and prowling them makes it a real learning experience. Oh and I love the eighties adds too as this was the time I started collecting.

Congrats, Brian. A cousin of mine recently gave me a few old books that I had lent him 30+ years ago. They are the only few survivors of the "collection" my brother and I had as kids and I got as much pleasure out of those beaters as I did from some bronze 9.8s.

I'm not sure if a lot of you collectors (or collector/dealers as blazing bob would say) have ever felt burned out on comics, but I certainly have, especially recently. For as much as I flip there's fewer and fewer books which I really relish and cherish owning. That being said, I picked up (off of craigslist of all places) a beautiful collection of early to mid 80s books (1981-1986 for the most part). It was a complete one owner collection. There were no gaps, the runs were complete and in tact. Major Marvel and DC titles including ASM, Avengers, FFs, Caps, Swamp Things, Batman, Tec, Teen Titans, Hulk, Iron Man etc.

The cost of the collection boiled down to roughly 7 cents a book. The collection was stored in brand new short boxes with brand new (basically) bags and boards. A lot of nice books and while there were a few 9.6s, most of the books were a nice 9.2 or 9.4, plenty nice to read and collect. Some issues were a little lower grade and they were the ones I suspect he read over and over again.

I enjoyed this immensely because this was the time period that I began collecting and reading comics in. The books were so much fun. I split the collection (because I couldn't find the time to drive up and get it) with a friend of mine who drove up and got it... he was able to get the GI Joes (including a 21), Transformers etc.

I just leafed through the 12 short boxes that I kept and it was a thrill. Finding a NM DK 1 was cool, but it was more fun to see how complete the runs were and to go through month by month and year by year of certain titles I'm going to buy an ASM 238 and (some more) Cap Annual 8s to slide into the time period (the only two books missing). I loved looking through the ads and letter pages as I remembered I had so carefully poured over many of these books as I grew up.

It seems strange that a collection of 80s books would be more exciting to me than buying another Avengers 4 or even when I bought my AF 15(s). But it was, and after I go out to dinner tonight, I'm looking forward to flipping through the boxes again, popping open some books, and doing some reading!

Very nice! Buy what you like and you won't be disappointed. It's worked for me!