• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not off topic..

86 posts in this topic

I'm guessing that the video game remedy will only succeed if video games were already a big part of your youth to begin with. There's a vast cultural gulf (not to mention something of an existential divide) between collectors who are in their late '20s now (and whose childhoods took place in the early '90s, when video games were everywhere), and and an aspiring old fart like me who was 10 years-old and addicted to comic books in the early/mid '70s, with no competition from video games whatsoever...

I'm guessing that the video game remedy will only succeed if video games were already a big part of your youth to begin with.

As far as "serious collecting" goes, perhaps. But in terms of actually playing and enjoying modern games, anyone can get hooked.

I'm guessing that the video game remedy will only succeed if video games were already a big part of your youth to begin with.

As far as "serious collecting" goes, perhaps. But in terms of actually playing and enjoying modern games, anyone can get hooked.

You're probably right. But believe me, I've tried. Lots of people thought "Guitar Hero" and the other music-related games would do it for me, but so far...no luck. I just can't get into them. Too many GD buttons to press, I guess... :insane:

This is only true to a certain extent. I grew up on one button Atari contollers and have always hated all the fighting games that make you go "a-a-b-left-b-up-a-down" for a damn Falcon Punch. :mad:

I have noticed that I am not enjoying books like I used to. I find they are actually just making me stressed and it has taken that "love" out of the hobby for me.

You are going through Man-o-pause.

I have noticed that I am not enjoying books like I used to. I find they are actually just making me stressed and it has taken that "love" out of the hobby for me.

Oh.. I thought I was too young for that.

Oh.. I thought I was too young for that.

Obviously not.

I'm guessing that the video game remedy will only succeed if video games were already a big part of your youth to begin with. There's a vast cultural gulf (not to mention something of an existential divide) between collectors who are in their late '20s now (and whose childhoods took place in the early '90s, when video games were everywhere), and and an aspiring old fart like me who was 10 years-old and addicted to comic books in the early/mid '70s, with no competition from video games whatsoever...

I don't get the video game thing, either, and I'm 37. I spent gargantuan amounts of time playing them as a kid, but that was back when you actually had to pay 25 cents for a rutn, or you your parents bought a Colecovision for $400 if you were lucky.

After college...no interest.

The only thing that has come close were the Might & Magic adventure games, but those types of games are uncommon.

There are two other remedies to consider...

1. Sharpen your collecting goals. Pick something you've always wanted, but that is not easy to obtain....say, Golden Age Little Lulus....and then pursue them. The thrill of the challenge might help.

2. Post more pics of your collection. Sharing them with people around here for oohs and aaahs always makes me feel good.

I have noticed that I am not enjoying books like I used to. I find they are actually just making me stressed and it has taken that "love" out of the hobby for me. I just buy books for the sake of buying... I figured my day off I would try and have some fun here, but that isnt working either. I guess I dont post enough anymore and people forgot how my sense of humor is, or people are just grouchier than I remember. I guess I just gotta figure out where I stand in the hobby, and see if it where I want to remain. But I really just am not enjoying it half as much as even last year. I just dont care anymore. I dont wanna attend conventions or shows, I dont read my monthly shipments of moderns.. I just buy some slabs, stick them in a box and forget them. I guess I just have to try and find why I stick around. I dont have the time to post much if at all anymore, and suppose I didnt keep in close enough touch with my friends here either. Now I feel like its all repetition and a waste...

Just venting. But how do I find that excitement again? Anyone else had this problem?

Stop buying for a while. Seriously... if they cause you stress, then it's better for you. However, if after a few months you miss the things, well, then that question is answered as well isn't it?

(thumbs u

-slym (hasn't bought new comics in 4 years)

This is only true to a certain extent. I grew up on one button Atari contollers and have always hated all the fighting games that make you go "a-a-b-left-b-up-a-down" for a damn Falcon Punch. :mad:

1236444870156.gif

-slym

Perhaps buying slabs is the problem. While I love CGC books and appreciate the grading and resto check I always feel disappointed when a slabbed copy shows up in the mail. I always have the "is that it" feeling and wish I could open the book and read it.

Then just crack it out, and hold it, smell it, and read it - that's what I do :banana:

I own about 35 times the raw as I do slabs. Raw books are smelly..

That's because you live in east coast sludge depository...., :baiting:

Just venting. But how do I find that excitement again? Anyone else had this problem?

I went through something very similar in 2006. You cannot force liking the hobby. Don't make an FDQ exit. When I announced I was quitting collecting I said I would still be around the boards, and I have been.

I sold all of my pre-code and do not regret it. I am finding aspects of comics more interesting now after taking the pressure off myself. So don;t try to force anything. Just go with how you are feeling. As JC said, pursue something else, but only if you feel the need to pursue anything else. Otherwise just live your life and enjoy whatever things you enjoy. Eventually equlibrium will set in and then you take it from there.

Pat,

i've definitely gone through the stages of feeling like comics were just sort of "blah" about the hobby. However, I've always found a way to enjoy it and come back to it. You have to take a break and see whether you still really love it. I'm betting you'll feel re-energized after a break. You have a lot of other stuff going on in your life, and comics can feel -- well, less than important in the face of it.

Im hoping so. But the interest just isnt there. I really dont know why I keep buying books..

My interest fluctuates. I'm just getting over a few months of not really caring about them, and feeling silly for the amount of money I'd recently spent. I stopped buying moderns first, then everything else. But now I'm getting back into it again. I don't think I'll ever do moderns again though. And I don't miss them one little bit.

Your collection is your collection. If you stop buying new comics for a little while, you'll still have the ones you have (whoa, deep!). Take a little break and see if they don't start to pique your interest again in a bit.