• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not off topic..

86 posts in this topic

I have noticed that I am not enjoying books like I used to. I find they are actually just making me stressed and it has taken that "love" out of the hobby for me. I just buy books for the sake of buying... I figured my day off I would try and have some fun here, but that isnt working either. I guess I dont post enough anymore and people forgot how my sense of humor is, or people are just grouchier than I remember. I guess I just gotta figure out where I stand in the hobby, and see if it where I want to remain. But I really just am not enjoying it half as much as even last year. I just dont care anymore. I dont wanna attend conventions or shows, I dont read my monthly shipments of moderns.. I just buy some slabs, stick them in a box and forget them. I guess I just have to try and find why I stick around. I dont have the time to post much if at all anymore, and suppose I didnt keep in close enough touch with my friends here either. Now I feel like its all repetition and a waste...

:cry:

I'm guessing that the video game remedy will only succeed if video games were already a big part of your youth to begin with. There's a vast cultural gulf (not to mention something of an existential divide) between collectors who are in their late '20s now (and whose childhoods took place in the early '90s, when video games were everywhere), and and an aspiring old fart like me who was 10 years-old and addicted to comic books in the early/mid '70s, with no competition from video games whatsoever...

I don't get the video game thing, either, and I'm 37. I spent gargantuan amounts of time playing them as a kid, but that was back when you actually had to pay 25 cents for a rutn, or you your parents bought a Colecovision for $400 if you were lucky.

After college...no interest.

The only thing that has come close were the Might & Magic adventure games, but those types of games are uncommon.

I love the Might and Magic games. Simple but entertaining

Sometimes I get tired of my collections or part of them. Sometimes I will sell out. I sold my Beatles and Kiss collections and all my Spawn stuff.

Usually I find taking a lot of pictures of the items before shipping them off makes it easier to say "Yeah I had that it was sweeeeeeeeet!"

Comics sometimes I am just all over it. Comics everywhere bagging and boarding with my overstreet and immersed in reading some old back issues.

Then I just phase out of it for a bit I usually come back to them later but sometimes I just get in this mood and I won't even open a long box for a month.

It would be hard to phase them out completely I mean without collections all the pictures of our comic book themed wedding don't make much sense lol...

And all the household decor that is comic related would be hard to part with..posters wall art etc.

But like the internet.. I have phases with that too. I mean I didn't post here for weeks I was just out of it. Somedays I just want to get rid of everything in the house and turn off the TV and internet and go minimalist..but in reality..a certified hoarder just can't do that..

I just wanna say that this was not meant as some type of attention Ho-wa exit. But I am just seeing if other people feel the same, and if anyone had suggestions. Which I got plenty of, and I thank you all. I think once I pay off a few books I am going to just submit books for awhile. I wanna do some pre-screens and such, and maybe a few more CGC experiments such as I did with dust shadows last year. I think that might get me going again. And also I liked the advice of sharing my collection. I have rarely done so, and maybe I will start my own Detective Comics thread. I should be close to 200 slabs, which is 25% of my original goal of 50-850. Maybe that and a few group shots will spark that interest.

Again, thanks for the input. I dont ever wanna leave this hobby. But just need to find things to rekindle that fire for me.

Pat-

Perhaps buying slabs is the problem. While I love CGC books and appreciate the grading and resto check I always feel disappointed when a slabbed copy shows up in the mail. I always have the "is that it" feeling and wish I could open the book and read it.

Then just crack it out, and hold it, smell it, and read it - that's what I do :banana:

I own about 35 times the raw as I do slabs. Raw books are smelly..

That's because you live in east coast sludge depository...., :baiting:

Yea but you live in the most depressing state in the US. :baiting:

Maybe I will start my own Detective Comics thread. I should be close to 200 slabs, which is 25% of my original goal of 50-850. Maybe that and a few group shots will spark that interest. Pat-

Pat -- your goal is admirably ambitious, but also hardcore. Maybe adding a smaller, more achievable goal, one that can be completed with relative ease compared to the Big Goal, will give you that satisfaction you're looking for.

I go through the same feeling from time to time myself, BTW.

Perhaps buying slabs is the problem. While I love CGC books and appreciate the grading and resto check I always feel disappointed when a slabbed copy shows up in the mail. I always have the "is that it" feeling and wish I could open the book and read it.

Then just crack it out, and hold it, smell it, and read it - that's what I do :banana:

I own about 35 times the raw as I do slabs. Raw books are smelly..

That's because you live in east coast sludge depository...., :baiting:

Yea but you live in the most depressing state in the US. :baiting:

and yet...., I'm the happy one..., :think:

Crack addicts unite! :headbang:

You probably need to think about what it is/was that made you get excited about collecting comics in the first place. In spite of the fact that everyone on these boards has a common interest in comic books, we all find enjoyment of the hobby in many different ways. Whether it's owning the highest graded copies of something, collecting a specific title or genre, or hunting down scarce/rare books, etc... we all get excited about the hobby in our own way.

The other thing that I think is important is having some balance in your life. I love collecting comics, but for me, collecting is only a part of my life. If it took up too much of my time, I think it would start to feel like work and then I would definitely lose interest. I already have a job, collecting is supposed to be the thing I do for fun.

Personally, I find joy in simply owning the comics I do. I like being able to go through my boxes and pull out a few books to read that fit whatever mood I'm in at the time. I like the fact that I now own almost every book I had as a kid. I like the nostalgic feelings that looking at, holding, and reading a comic book evokes.

I don't know whether this will help or not, but several times throughout my collecting life I've gone out and bought stacks of beaters from quarter bins. I spend about $20, then I take them home and throw them out across my bed, living room floor, couch, whatever, and lay there and read them, just like I did when I was a kid. I don't have to handle them carefully, I just lay there and enjoy the experience (out of context quote?) of reading a comic book. I may even eat a bag of Nacho Cheese Doritos or Cheetos while I'm doing it (again with the OOCQ?).

At any rate, if the thing that gave you a thrill about collecting is gone, then you may need to either find a way to rekindle that passion or possibly take a break for a while.

Either that, or you could have a huge fire sale here on the boards where you sell all your books for 20% of their value, spend all the money you get on beer, hookers, beanie babies, whatever, then six months from now have sellers remorse and buy back all your books at 3x what you paid for them originally. ^^

Res, I know what you mean. I'm in a lull point right now as well. Just not feeling it right now like I used too. At my old job, there were a few guys that were hardcore comic geeks, and we would hit up the LCS during lunch. They got me back into comics again. Now I'm at a new job and I don't see those guys as often. I noticed I've lost a bit of that passion. I doubt I will leave this hobby, but I don't think I'm going at full force like I did when I started back up.

So I will see what happens.

Res, I know what you mean. I'm in a lull point right now as well. Just not feeling it right now like I used too. At my old job, there were a few guys that were hardcore comic geeks, and we would hit up the LCS during lunch. They got me back into comics again. Now I'm at a new job and I don't see those guys as often. I noticed I've lost a bit of that passion. I doubt I will leave this hobby, but I don't think I'm going at full force like I did when I started back up.

So I will see what happens.

I think that when you find that something "special" you need to keep it special by not overdoing it. By that I mean always keep it in balance.

I associate good friends and nostalgia with the hobby and so always have an appreciation for it, but I do find that if I get too tunnel-visioned that it can become heavy.

I'm by no means a balanced person, but me trying to moderate my involvement in the hobby keeps it interesting. It's like dating or relationships...don't go all in....always keep a little healthy tension on the rope in the tug of war called life.

You probably need to think about what it is/was that made you get excited about collecting comics in the first place. In spite of the fact that everyone on these boards has a common interest in comic books, we all find enjoyment of the hobby in many different ways. Whether it's owning the highest graded copies of something, collecting a specific title or genre, or hunting down scarce/rare books, etc... we all get excited about the hobby in our own way.

The other thing that I think is important is having some balance in your life. I love collecting comics, but for me, collecting is only a part of my life. If it took up too much of my time, I think it would start to feel like work and then I would definitely lose interest. I already have a job, collecting is supposed to be the thing I do for fun.

Personally, I find joy in simply owning the comics I do. I like being able to go through my boxes and pull out a few books to read that fit whatever mood I'm in at the time. I like the fact that I now own almost every book I had as a kid. I like the nostalgic feelings that looking at, holding, and reading a comic book evokes.

I don't know whether this will help or not, but several times throughout my collecting life I've gone out and bought stacks of beaters from quarter bins. I spend about $20, then I take them home and throw them out across my bed, living room floor, couch, whatever, and lay there and read them, just like I did when I was a kid. I don't have to handle them carefully, I just lay there and enjoy the experience (out of context quote?) of reading a comic book. I may even eat a bag of Nacho Cheese Doritos or Cheetos while I'm doing it (again with the OOCQ?).

At any rate, if the thing that gave you a thrill about collecting is gone, then you may need to either find a way to rekindle that passion or possibly take a break for a while.

Either that, or you could have a huge fire sale here on the boards where you sell all your books for 20% of their value, spend all the money you get on beer, hookers, beanie babies, whatever, then six months from now have sellers remorse and buy back all your books at 3x what you paid for them originally. ^^

This post has it all. :cloud9: A bed covered in comics, Nacho Cheese Doritos, beanie babies and hookers. Sounds like a ton of fun but your bed is gonna be mighty crowded. Imagine the nasty paper cuts the hookers are gonna get.

Pat,

You just need a slump buster. Take a "road trip" , leaving friends and

family behind, and do things that will normally land you in divorce court.

Staring at beautiful canyons, and the reflection of bright lights and cold

beverages can revitalize your life. There's nothing like cramming your way

thru a tight obstical to free the soul and make you feel like all your troubles

will gush out of you, lightening your spirit tremendously. Taking things

in your hands and kneeding them to suit your satisfiaction can be so

enlightening. Manipulating what God has made to suit your fancy can

make you appreciate the other blessings you've been given and make

you appreciate what you have and what you have left behind, annonymously.

Pat,

You just need a slump buster. Take a "road trip" , leaving friends and

family behind, and do things that will normally land you in divorce court.

Staring at beautiful canyons, and the reflection of bright lights and cold

beverages can revitalize your life. There's nothing like cramming your way

thru a tight obstical to free the soul and make you feel like all your troubles

will gush out of you, lightening your spirit tremendously. Taking things

in your hands and kneeding them to suit your satisfiaction can be so

enlightening. Manipulating what God has made to suit your fancy can

make you appreciate the other blessings you've been given and make

you appreciate what you have and what you have left behind, annonymously.

English, hick.

:taptaptap:

This post has it all. :cloud9: A bed covered in comics, Nacho Cheese Doritos, beanie babies and hookers. Sounds like a ton of fun but your bed is gonna be mighty crowded. Imagine the nasty paper cuts the hookers are gonna get.

I actually have some real life childhood stories that sound very similar to that, :o but that would be for a completely different thread.

I have noticed that I am not enjoying books like I used to. I find they are actually just making me stressed and it has taken that "love" out of the hobby for me. I just buy books for the sake of buying... I figured my day off I would try and have some fun here, but that isnt working either. I guess I dont post enough anymore and people forgot how my sense of humor is, or people are just grouchier than I remember. I guess I just gotta figure out where I stand in the hobby, and see if it where I want to remain. But I really just am not enjoying it half as much as even last year. I just dont care anymore. I dont wanna attend conventions or shows, I dont read my monthly shipments of moderns.. I just buy some slabs, stick them in a box and forget them. I guess I just have to try and find why I stick around. I dont have the time to post much if at all anymore, and suppose I didnt keep in close enough touch with my friends here either. Now I feel like its all repetition and a waste...

Just venting. But how do I find that excitement again? Anyone else had this problem?

Take a break and play some videogames,try some non-superhero,non- marvel and dc stuff.Also share your love and experience about this hobby to people who are just getting into it. ;)

Pat, I was kind of getting burnt out as well and began to get more into pulps. I've bought far more pulps in the last couple of years than comics. Its cheaper for one thing and there isn't all the pressure to find the highest grade possible. In fact there are only 4 or 5 grades, not 20. I think it must be similar to what comic collecting felt like in the early 70's.

Pat, I was kind of getting burnt out as well and began to get more into pulps. I've bought far more pulps in the last couple of years than comics. Its cheaper for one thing and there isn't all the pressure to find the highest grade possible. In fact there are only 4 or 5 grades, not 20. I think it must be similar to what comic collecting felt like in the early 70's.
I think I just have to find something about collecting I still enjoy.