• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A couple EXTREMELY Rare Underground Comix items.

5 posts in this topic

Both not in High Grade, but these show up so infrequently that you can't be picky (I estimate approx. once every 2 years).

Zap Comix #0 (U.K. Bootleg) condition looks around VG range.

Bacchanal #2 (April, 1962), oversized magazine in around Fine range. 2nd appearance of Gilbert Shelton's Wonder Wart-Hog (meets the Super Patriot). Bacchanal #2 shows up even less ofter than #1 which rarely shows up at all. Fogel mentioned to me it would be considered slightly higher in value to #1 in the upcoming supplement.

Paypal or money order accepted.

Shipping fee is actual cost and Priority Mail is probably easiest (insurance extra but suggested).

$120

th_ZapC0UK.jpg

th_ZapC0UKb.jpg

Bacchanal #1 is dated March 1962 (In the Jay Kennedy UG guide, 1963 only has 2 enteries for comix and nothing earlier. They are the original Das Kampf by Bode and Robert Ronnie Branaman by "Bob" Branaman). B#1 is the earliest appearance of an Underground comix character except for Fanzine appearances of ProJunior (by B horror movie maker Don Dohler). #2 is dated 1 month later and is the second appearance of Wonder Wart-Hog. #2 shows up less ofter than #1 (took me almost 3 years just to find a scan of the cover of it). In a way, Bacchanal #1 and 2 are the first (semi) professionally published work of Underground Comix work, there were only 2 issues of this college magazine. And it's by the great Gilbert Shelton (Freak Brothers). To Underground Comix collector's, #1 and #2 are very special items in my opinion. Hard to compare with regular comics, but wasn't there previous work by Siegel & Shuster in a "Circus program type magazine", as I remember is being described, before Action Comics #1?