• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help needed - what are these supplies made of

10 posts in this topic

Wasn't sure which forum to put this in but figure more people look in the general section.

If anyone knows can they tell me what these sleeves are made out of and how good they are for storing comic books.

The product in question was put out by Wizard (Ultra-Pro) and called Ultra-Pro Premium Comic Sleeves. These comic sleeves came 10 in a pack for about $10 or $12. They were made out of some hardish plastic and had a strap enclosure that the flap tucked into. They were really difficult to get comics into without damaging them.

I have a bunch of high dollar comics in them and am debating whether to move them to something else as I I don't think they are mylar.

I have done a google search and the best I can find on the web is the following descrition:

Ultra-Pro Premium Comic Sleeves feature a unique "Flap & Strap Closure" The 1 1/2" sleeve flap folds over and securely fits into the 1/2" clear strap. Each rigid comic sleeve flap is branded with Ultra-Pro's trade mark holographic logo stamp.

No PVC, 100% Archival, Acid Free, UV Barrier-Prevents fading, Heaviest Gauge, Highest Clarity. Made in the USA.

Stores most Current & Silver Age size comics from 1960 to Present :up to 7 5/16" x 10 1/2" ID

I have attached two pictures. The front of the product was also wrapped with a picture of Shi on it like all the other Ultra Pro comic products at one point in time were.

93853.jpg.dffbc8370d0f18fa956985ab22bac7db.jpg

93854.jpg.55e0f267f33f1500757b69a23bf33598.jpg

Those are horrible. They're hard to get the comic in and out of and frequently damage the comic if you're not careful.

They are Mylar though.

Nail. On. Head. (thumbs u

Here is yet another bad decision that i have some insight upon. If there is enough room, and the books are Silver or newer, the way to get the books out is to carefully use an exacto knife to make a slice on each side and bend the front down like a U and slide the book out. Otherwise you are looking at the mother of all thumb impressions on the top edge from the force you need to get them out.

Those are horrible. They're hard to get the comic in and out of and frequently damage the comic if you're not careful.

They are Mylar though.

Here is yet another bad decision that i have some insight upon. If there is enough room, and the books are Silver or newer, the way to get the books out is to carefully use an exacto knife to make a slice on each side and bend the front down like a U and slide the book out. Otherwise you are looking at the mother of all thumb impressions on the top edge from the force you need to get them out.

lol but sad at the same time.

To answer the first question: Evil, pure evil.

They are Mylar though.

lol but sad at the same time.

To answer the first question: Evil, pure evil.

It's put out by WIZARD, nuff said....

Yes they are terrible. I don't know what possessed me years ago to put books in those things.

I am glad to hear they are mylar so I'll keep my books and the acid free backing boards in them as they are a pain to get the books out. I also discovered that the only way to do it was to use an exacto knife and destroy the sleeve.