• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics from your birth month

58 posts in this topic

After listening to Chris Moyles this morning on the radio (BBC Radio 1 for the US boardies), I was rather pleased when I heard that someone had bought him a copy of the Beano published on the week he was born as a present.

It got me thinking about a rather self indulgent set of Marvels from my month of birth (September 1975)

I checked Marvel Wikia to find what issues were cover stamped for 09/75 and unfortunately only got this list

http://marvel.wikia.com/Category:1975,_September

I've yet to find a source for DC's for the month.

Anyone else thought of doing this and got any results worth collecting???

If you're using the "cover date" for your "birth month" book, you are going to be way off. In the example above, books that were cover dated 9/75 came out in May or June of that year. If you want a book that came out in September, 1975, you'd want something like this the Planet of the Apes 2 in this auction has a date stamp of September 11, 1975, yet has a November, 1975 cover date. This Daredevil 128, has a September 1(?) date stamp on it. and, as you can see, it clearly doesn't have a "September" date on it.

This, btw, is an AWESOME date stamp book for April 9, 1975.

I have always understood this conundrum, but it made my head hurt trying to figure it out. So therefore I have still been collecting all of the Marvels with cover dates of the month and year of my birth. I just think it is cool to own books that say July on the cover and came out in 1970

Same here...

Me too!

Dan

Just for the sake of information, Marvel's October issues were released in July 1975 (i.e., Fantastic Four #163). These issues, if date stamped, will read July. You might even find one with your actual birthdate.

To put it another way, these would be the issues your father picked up to glance at while in the hospital's waiting room.

I dont give a Giant Rat's implied arse from the cover of Tower of Shadows 6 (whose particular arse was (or was not) on the stands in april 1970, cover dated July 1970 and concepted even before that) if the books i am seeking were on the stands in JULY of 1970, because they say JULY and came out in 1970.

They were NOT on the stands in July, 1970. Books on the stands in July, 1970, would have a cover stamp of either October or November, 1970.

I dont give a Giant Rat's implied arse from the cover of Tower of Shadows 6 (whose particular arse was (or was not) on the stands in april 1970, cover dated July 1970 and concepted even before that) if the books i am seeking were on the stands in JULY of 1970, because they say JULY and came out in 1970.

They were NOT on the stands in July, 1970. Books on the stands in July, 1970, would have a cover stamp of either October or November, 1970.

Thanks, Schleprock. Don't you have any puppies to beat? hm

Interesting thread and after digging around

November 1966 is a decent year and month

X-men #26

Thor 134

ASM 42

Avengers 34

Fantastic Four 56

are some of the highlights...not hard to see since 63 to 66 were decent Marvel years.

now if I can only find any of those books with date 11/13/66 on the cover would be cool.

Now to get more technical on the actual date that a book is on the stand instead of whatever is on the cover, then the closest I can find is

FF 59 - this book went on sale on 11/10/1966

http://dcindexes.com/marvel/comic-details.php?comicid=41018

and it is by coincidence and special that I have this

kirby.jpg

Interesting thread and after digging around

November 1966 is a decent year and month

X-men #26

Thor 134

ASM 42

Avengers 34

Fantastic Four 56

are some of the highlights...not hard to see since 63 to 66 were decent Marvel years.

now if I can only find any of those books with date 11/13/66 on the cover would be cool.

Now to get more technical on the actual date that a book is on the stand instead of whatever is on the cover, then the closest I can find is

FF 59 - this book went on sale on 11/10/1966

http://dcindexes.com/marvel/comic-details.php?comicid=41018

and it is by coincidence and special that I have this

I'm afraid you won't find any of the first-mentioned comics with that date stamp. In November of 1966, these Marvels were on sale:

Thor #136, January 1967 (Nov.3)*

X-Men #28, January 1967 (Nov.3)

Daredevil #24, January 1967 (Nov.3)

Tales to Astonish #88, February 1967 (Nov.3)

Rawhide Kid #56, February 1967 (Nov.3)

Patsy and Hedy #110, February 1967 (Nov.3) Last issue.

Marvel Collector's Item Classics #7, February 1967 (Nov.10)

Strange Tales #153, February 1967 (Nov.10)

Avengers #36, January 1967 (Nov.10)

Sgt. Fury #38, January 1967 (Nov.10)

Spider-Man #45, February 1967 (Nov.10)

Fantastic Four #59, February 1967 (Nov.10)*

Tales of Suspense #86, February 1967 (Nov.10)

Millie the Model #146, February 1967 (Nov.10)

Date stamps would differ if a store was late in opening the bundles.

*Even when I started to collect Marvels in 1970, I remember Thor as the first issue of the month and FF as the last.

If I could get this one with a date stamp of 1/3/72..that would be the bomb...

Capturetombofdrac.jpg

It looks to me that Marvel released the first books in January on Tuesdays (1966-1968 data). This would January 4th in 1972. Therefore it is probably impossible, unless someone has more "modern" data to the contrary, to get a 1/3/72 date stamp. :sorry:

Though 1/4/72 would be the day your parents brought you home from the hospital (might need to check this one with Mom). (thumbs u

If I could get this one with a date stamp of 1/3/72..that would be the bomb...

Capturetombofdrac.jpg

It looks to me that Marvel released the first books in January on Tuesdays. This would January 4th in 1972. Therefore it is impossible to get a 1/3/72 date stamp. :sorry:

No books have my birthday stamp either. I was born on Saturday. :cry:

Lemme break it down for you so you may understand... (by taking out the parenthetical)

I dont give a Giant Rat's implied arse from the cover of Tower of Shadows 6 if the books i am seeking were on the stands in JULY of 1970, because they say JULY and came out in 1970.

I will attempt to explain this specifically... I do not GIVE A GIANT RAT'S IMPLIED ARSE if the books I am seeking were on the stands in 1970.

There is a giant rat on the cover of Tower of Shadows #6, his arse is IMPLIED because you cant see it, as it is on the other size of the rat hole. Does that mean that the rat's arse isn't there?

Does you acting like a blowhard mean I cannot collect a run of books for my Birthday run because they were not on the stands during July 1970? Hell, no... I can collect what I like.

and I certainly will, because "TO ME" the books that are most important are those that say my birthday month of JULY and came out in 1970.

I never stated the July cover-dated books were on the stands in July of 1970. I stated that I consider the July cover books important to me because they have MY BIRTH MONTH ON THE COVER

Once again I will specify that I certainly know the books cover dated July 1970 were not on the stands in July. you can read that in the post above the one in which i posted my list (do you need me to quote it for you?)

or you can just continue beating the DEAD HORSE, expounding on your mental superiority by pointing out errors in others posts that were actually explained in previous posts. :foryou:

I copied and pasted a birthday books list that I have been keeping for a long time. Sorry if it didn't meet your expectations of technical accuracy, but hey I am still getting enjoyment of collecting books from my Birthday run, and thanks to Shootydog, who posted a constructive link, I now know specifically which books were on the stands during my birth month, which is something I wondered about but could not find a listing of what they actually were.

I will continue to find enjoyment from collecting my Birthday Books, and you can stick to trying to find errors in others posts, then pointing them out trying to make yourself look better! (thumbs u

So I'm cheating a bit, but I was born on April 11, and this came out less than 30 days later (May 1) :cloud9:

mirage.gif

Wow. I thought I was the only one doing this. My birth month was November 1971 which means the following:

Amazing Spider-man 102

Avengers 93

Conan 11

Fantastic Four 116

Iron Man 43

Sub-mariner 43

Captain America 145

etc.

In short, all the Marvel double-size books from that month which has been quite a challenge for some of the more esoteric titles like Ringo Kid, Our Love Story, My Love, etc.

It's cool to see others doing the same thing. Another facet that makes collecting so much fun.

I have an expensive month. :eek:

Marvel

Amazing Spider-Man 59

Avengers 51

Captain America 100

Daredevil 39

Fantastic Four 73

Incredible Hulk 102

Iron Man and Sub-Mariner 1

Not Brand Echh 7

Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos 53

Strange Tales 167

Thor 151

X-Men 43

DC

Action Comics 362

Adventure Comics 367

Aquaman 38

Detective Comics 374

Flash 178

Green Lantern 60

Metamorpho 17

Our Fighting Forces 112

Showcase 73

Strange Adventures 211

Superboy 146

Superman's Girlfriend, Lois Lane 82

Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen 110

Teen Titans 14

And the irony is that there are technically three books that should be issue number 1, but only one of them is actually numbered as such.

Today, on any given month, there are 6-10 number 1's on the stands, and none of them should technically be issue number 1.