• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Narrow down the Gerber no shows

75 posts in this topic

Here's a no show.

rocketkelly5.jpg

super pretty

I have a copy of that as well. Mine is not as nice, maybe a fine before taking into account one very rusty staple.

Bruce

I love that cover. Look at the blast out the tail end of the rocket while he casually climbs the ladder. You just know ol' Kelly is gonna be 100% arm-free in about a nanosecond or two.

And it looks like his gal lost her right platform shoe somewhere along the line.

I am curious. Has the market value of the no-shows risen a lot due to them being no-shows. I picked up my Rocket Kelly for guide on ebay, at that price figured I cant go wrong.

Bruce

I have found, and sold, a large percentage of the Gerber 8s, 9s, and White Spaces over the years and more often than not have gotten a nice price. At least I know a lot of them went to a good home...

Hi, Mark! ;)

I think even in the early days it would just depend on the issue. Never saw anyone get into a fight over Mammoth Comics 1. Some no shows, 8, 9, 10s are that for a reason, there's only one maybe two people in the world that even care it exists.

I am curious. Has the market value of the no-shows risen a lot due to them being no-shows. I picked up my Rocket Kelly for guide on ebay, at that price figured I cant go wrong.

Bruce

I have found, and sold, a large percentage of the Gerber 8s, 9s, and White Spaces over the years and more often than not have gotten a nice price. At least I know a lot of them went to a good home...

Hi, Mark! ;)

:hi:

Bruce

I think there was probably more interest in white space books 15 years ago when CBM used to do articles on them, giving many collectors their first look at these books. Some with above average covers or a mystique about them (Capt. Aero #26, Catman #13, Exciting #28) still fetch a premium, even if collectors now believe they aren't as rare as initially thought, while others have settled into valuations similar to the issues around them.

There are also plenty of early-mid fifties no-shows (including some horror books!) - due to Gerber's lack of interest in reproducing every cover in some of the more esoteric runs, and their absence has nothing to do with scarcity.

Bruce

I think there was probably more interest in white space books 15 years ago when CBM used to do articles on them, giving many collectors their first look at these books. Some with above average covers or a mystique about them (Capt. Aero #26, Catman #13, Exciting #28) still fetch a premium, even if collectors now believe they aren't as rare as initially thought, while others have settled into valuations similar to the issues around them.

There are also plenty of early-mid fifties no-shows (including some horror books!) - due to Gerber's lack of interest in reproducing every cover in some of the more esoteric runs, and their absence has nothing to do with scarcity.

I went to a small show in Long Beach on Saturday, and was surprised to see a dealer with a good sized stack of Photojournals, V1, at $15 each.

Bruce

I went to a small show in Long Beach on Saturday, and was surprised to see a dealer with a good sized stack of Photojournals, V1, at $15 each.

Same dealer probably had 'em at Terry's show. Borock bought them all.

Rookie question here, but what's up with Gerber and "Crime Does Not Pay?" The run's omitted, right? Or am I just blind?

It's after Silver Streak because it picked up the numbering starting at #22 although there are some quirky Silver Streak numbers at the end of the run it appears. Three no shows at the end of the Silver Streak run.