• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dell Told In Pictures

17 posts in this topic

I was wondering if any of you have some of the Dell Told In Pictures digests?

I just managed to pick up the "Four Frightened Women" in low grade but pretty cheap, $20. I also understand there is a reprint on this issue. There are a couple of romance ones I'd love to see Twice Loved and Rich Girl, Poor Girl. I haven't seen these for sale. Does anyone actually have copies of these?

FourFrightenedWomen.jpg

IMG_7145.jpg

aaaaaaaaa.jpg

I have had 2 over the years but that was due to some serious searching. You made a killing nabbing it for $20! I have seen a couple copies of Twice Loved before but have never been to find conclusive proof that the Rich Girl, Poor Girl was ever even published. If it was it is rare as heck. Great find!! :applause:

The back cover of both issues advertises Rich Girl, Poor Girl and I Met a Handsome Cowboy, but they do not exist.

IMG_5588.jpg

Is your Twice Loved in color? My copy of the Four Frightened Women also has a blue edge to it as well. I read somewhere that the I Met A Handsome Cowboy turned into a Four Color comic.

I think Twice Loved was a completely new story. Four Frightened Women is based on the 1939 novel of the same name (which Dell had also published).

These are basically the earliest graphic novels, along with It Rhymes With Lust, Honeymoon Romance, Mansion of Evil, and The Case of the winking Buddha. All were published in 1950.

Thanks for sharing the scans and information about these books. This was all interesting news to me! (thumbs u

The Rich Girl Poor Girl Told In Pictures that was never printed was a novel previously published by Dell and other publishers previous to this. It's a shame this one never made it to print. It seems like it would have made for an interesting read. I think it was first published in 1938.

I read somewhere that the I Met A Handsome Cowboy turned into a Four Color comic.

It's # 324, dated March 1951. Is that in line with these Dell Told in Pictures timeframe?

Oh, and thanks. I've always thought that I Met A Handsome Cowboy was an odd FC choice and this puts it into perspective. Nothing else like it amid all the Andy Pandas, Mickey Mouse, Donald Ducks, Porky Pigs, Bugs Bunnys, etc ...

These are basically the earliest graphic novels, along with It Rhymes With Lust, Honeymoon Romance, Mansion of Evil, and The Case of the winking Buddha. All were published in 1950.

Here is pic of Mansion of Evil.

mansionofevil.jpg

Is there anything you don't have an example of! :makepoint::baiting:

Here is pic of Mansion of Evil.

mansionofevil.jpg

Found a copy today at the Balt Comic Con!!

Mansion.jpg