• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lets be honest, the market has gone up for about 2 percent of collectors.

68 posts in this topic

The average Joe who does not spend 4 plus figures has seen a decrease in comic prices. Yep the ultra high grade has gone up tremendously, but the average stuff is has gone down.

This is my "Bear Chasing you Up a Tree" theory I would espouse to potential speculators, put to real life.

The more the low-hanging branches fail, you leave them behind, and the higher you climb, but the bear keeps following, so you move higher and higher, onto thinner and more risky branches, until you can start to see the top of the tree.. yet the bear's hot breath is still on your heels...

But the fact of the matter is we are getting older and we have not done a good job of recruiting new readers which eventually turn into collectors.

I blame the Modern adult nerd, as they continue to pay nosebleed prices for retcon after revamp, and have effectively killed off any hope in the future, just like sportscards. Any "kid hobby" adults take over as their own has a very short lifespan - theirs.

The average Joe who does not spend 4 plus figures has seen a decrease in comic prices. Yep the ultra high grade has gone up tremendously, but the average stuff is has gone down.

This is my "Bear Chasing you Up a Tree" theory I would espouse to potential speculators, put to real life.

The more the low-hanging branches fail, you leave them behind, and the higher you climb, but the bear keeps following, so you move higher and higher, onto thinner and more risky branches, until you can start to see the top of the tree.. yet the bear's hot breath is still on your heels...

So, what are you actually saying here?!?

Bears need breathe mints?

Bears like comic books?

Climbing trees will take you to new heights?

(shrug)

If you let a bear chase you up a tree, one of two things will happen.

You'll fall out of the tree, or the bear will get you. Climbing higher doesn't do anything but delay the inevitable, and potentially make the fall even harder.

So, what are you actually saying here?!?

Bears need breathe mints?

Bears like comic books?

Climbing trees will take you to new heights?

(shrug)

He's into anthropomorphic activities and just wanted to share?

(shrug)

:eek:

Here's a simple picture of how I envision the CGC market:

And where do the Golden Age books that I collect (that continue to escalate due to increased demand) fall on your little Tree of Woe?

Frankly, that bear looks a little scrawny...I think I'd kick its @ss if it came near me, considering high-tailing it up a tree isn't really an option for Yours Truly.

Everything's cyclical. If books I like get cheaper, I'm happy because a) I can afford them now and b) even if I already own them, I can buy more, cheaper (dollar-cost averaging).

For me, the CGC modern crash has been great (Sandman 1, Death in the Family, Punisher Ltd. 1 in 9.8). Likewise, I'm biding my time before buying CGC 9.2-9.6 Bronze that's fallen precipitously (Defenders 1, Iron Fist 14).

Even early Justice Leagues are more affordable now that the movie hype's dead. IE--the CGC 4.0 # 1 that sold in Brent's auction last week for just over $400, 20% under GPA.

But GA's not immune either. GPA on say...Superman # 9 3.0 is basically the same as it was 3 years ago. And I'm trying to build out my Nedor collection, war cover and otherwise. Shouldn't we be concerned that the Exciting # 9 CGC 5.5 sold this week for basically the same price the 4.0 one sold for six months ago on C-Link (not reported on GPA, but still listed on their site)?

Or that Zaid's 8.5 Fighting Yank # 1 didn't meet reserve because it ended more than 30% under both guide and what he paid for it a few years ago?

How about the slabbed 6.0 Kubert Hawkman cover late Flash Comics that were selling for $90-$130 apiece in Brent's auction? Or the 5.0-6.0 slabbed sub-100 Batmans that went for under $100?

This isn't rocket-science. Buy what's being ignored for the time being, and when the tides shift, you'll be alright.

I would (and am) pour money into select Golden Silver Age comics right now rather than my stock portfolio or Gold. Although, if you can work out a good margin deal, I think a better bet against the U.S. dollar and Euro (thank you Greece!) over the next 12-18 months.

But GA's not immune either. GPA on say...Superman # 9 3.0 is basically the same as it was 3 years ago. And I'm trying to build out my Nedor collection, war cover and otherwise. Shouldn't we be concerned that the Exciting # 9 CGC 5.5 sold this week for basically the same price the 4.0 one sold for six months ago on C-Link (not reported on GPA, but still listed on their site)?

Or that Zaid's 8.5 Fighting Yank # 1 didn't meet reserve because it ended more than 30% under both guide and what he paid for it a few years ago?

High grade Schomburg cover Nedors have been on fire recently, while the rest have cooled off. The cream always rises to the top, and all that. :headbang:

My point is about the illusion that is happening with the hobby. Just because a Tec 27 goes for 1 million does not mean your ASM 244 has gone up in value. If you have mainly bought high grade silver, and gold, than hey the hobby looks like cherries, but don't get carried away with the illusion that these sales mean anything for the hobby. New issues are now being printed at a record low. Copper is cheaper now than where it was at 5 years ago.

Can we get all the glass half empty people to line up on one side of the room?

:preach:

Here's a simple picture of how I envision the CGC market:

And where do the Golden Age books that I collect (that continue to escalate due to increased demand) fall on your little Tree of Woe?

Frankly, that bear looks a little scrawny...I think I'd kick its @ss if it came near me, considering high-tailing it up a tree isn't really an option for Yours Truly.

Don't you understand? One post covered it all. The end is near.

High grade Schomburg cover Nedors have been on fire recently, while the rest have cooled off. The cream always rises to the top, and all that. :headbang:

94197.jpg.e1eacf31189d9eab90dbaf1fe7c29142.jpg

Frankly, that bear looks a little scrawny...I think I'd kick its @ss if it came near me,

I guess you don't know much about bears - their musculature is insane (designed for digging and uprooting tree roots, rocks, etc.), kind of like a super-animal, and a bear could crush a lion's skull with a swat of its paw.

Pound per pound, they are many times stronger and have more stamina than a lion/tiger, so I'd bet even a baby bear (if it was sufficiently angry) could rip any weaponless human being apart. Plus, they can go like 30-35 mph, so don't run. :insane: