• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lets be honest, the market has gone up for about 2 percent of collectors.

68 posts in this topic

If that's true, that's great for me. I hope it goes down more so my X-men run is cheaper! lol

Things always go up and down but it's not like the market is gonna crash for Silver age. If someone says that again I'm gonna laugh. It's been said on this forum every single year and it NEVER happens.

The average Joe who does not spend 4 plus figures has seen a decrease in comic prices. Yep the ultra high grade has gone up tremendously, but the average stuff is has gone down.

Over what period of time are you talking about here?

If that's true, that's great for me. I hope it goes down more so my X-men run is cheaper! lol

Things always go up and down but it's not like the market is gonna crash for Silver age. If someone says that again I'm gonna laugh. It's been said on this forum every single year and it NEVER happens.

x2 :wishluck:

The sky is falling! :tonofbricks: The sky is falling :tonofbricks:

The average Joe who does not spend 4 plus figures has seen a decrease in comic prices. Yep the ultra high grade has gone up tremendously, but the average stuff is has gone down.

If it bothers you enough that it worries you, maybe you should buy fewer "ultra high grade" items instead of a lot of average items. I don't even know what books you are talking about specifically--I'm just saying in the general sense.

I disagree; while the Action 1 and Detective 27 sales do not directly affect the value of, say New Mutants 98, the notion of comic books as a legitimate hobby has been strengthened.

That's not to say that your collection is worth 10% more today than it was a week ago, but the thinking of comic books as an investment, if not a store of value, almost certainly must gain momentum in the following months. Hopefully, unlike the 90's bubble, any new collectors flowing into the market understand that supply (or lack thereof) will almost always be a more powerful driving force market force than artificial demand (hello Valiant!).

There is alot of uncertainty in the Stock Markets so the wealthy look at other things. For example, Honus Wagner BB card, always sold among the wealthy, Classic Art, so the wealthy have turned there attention towards our Hobby and the "Holy Grails".

Basically what I am saying is that the ultra rich have put a ultra inflated price tag on certain books in our hobby. While I know some people are happy and feel that these books are worth that much, I feel that it was a disaster for our hobby, once the Wealthy get involved it will be left in ruins as prices will be driven to artificial levels and forcing the average collector out.

I understand that the goal of those who sell are to make as much money as possible, but in the long run I think this is bad and fore Record prices to be set during a time when our economy is suffering and people are out of work...............makes no sense other then a short term person parking money for a short term.

My point is about the illusion that is happening with the hobby. Just because a Tec 27 goes for 1 million does not mean your ASM 244 has gone up in value. If you have mainly bought high grade silver, and gold, than hey the hobby looks like cherries, but don't get carried away with the illusion that these sales mean anything for the hobby. New issues are now being printed at a record low. Copper is cheaper now than where it was at 5 years ago.

Copper is cheaper now than where it was at 5 years ago.

It's okay for buyers. Now they can afford books a few years ago due to the CGC impact on the market were selling at extremely crazy prices (e.g. Sandman 1 CGC 9.8 selling for $700; Harbinger 1 CGC 9.8 selling for $2,000-$2,500).

Collectibles go through these periods of a lulled inflation in prices. As a minimum, they come back to a reasonable level over time.

But for anyone that buys a common book and then wants to flip it when another book they want comes up for sale, these are tough times to try this regularly.

obiously, as long as there is more demand for a comic than supply, prices should be stable or possibly rise.... demand is very thin for high 6 figure books as is supply, so it is true that these sales should have no impact what so ever on the average comic book price, unless these type sales bring in more demand (but again, at what level, etc)...

still a fun hobby (thumbs u

The sky is falling! :tonofbricks: The sky is falling :tonofbricks:

Wass up chicken little :acclaim:

I think a lot of the modern new collectors might feel the same way, why buy a pile of comics to clutter up your house while you can get a nice trade/hardback to replace it?

On the contrary, I prefer to buy the floppies to form long complete runs. I hate TPBs unless it's something I'm trying out for the first time.