• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

State of the GA Market - 2010

62 posts in this topic

This hobby is now all about what shows through the plastic tomb.

I agree to an extent on this, just look at the recent discussion in another thread over choosing a Tec #31 over a Bat #1. the Tec has a very classic cover, but Bat #1 is a very big key book!!

however, I do think that the deeper a collector gets into the books themselves and the history behind them. that the stories do have a factor on desirability. besides, classic covers have always commanded a premium even before CGC.

I don't own too many GA books with a cover I don't like. :)

I have a tough question for you - What is you single favorite cover?

hm

that is probably too general a question for me to answer...All Select 1 is in my top 3 for sure though :grin: Top Timely cover: probably AS 1 and Marvel 9, Top DC cover: Tec 31

One can collect books based on A) cover alone B) cover and interior story/art C) interior only D) scarcity...I rarely buy books for "C". Normally, "A" and/or "B" apply (thumbs u

Heck of a good answer! (thumbs u

And when ever I hear the term "best cover" or "classic cover" the two that always come to mind are Marvel 9 and Tec 31. All-Select 1 is an amazing cover as well, one of the greatest Timely book covers out there! :applause:

(and I agree it is a very broad and tough question to answer)

Some of my fav's include Tec 31, Marvel 9, Cap 1, All-American 18, Action 13, countless others.

Got any covers in mind you would consider the worst cover?

If the hobby is all about what's in the plastic tomb then I'm in trouble! I think less than 1% of my entire collection is slabbed and the one slabbed GA book I owned was popped out of its casing and read the day I received it.

Covers rock--no getting around it. It seems like this is where most of the artist's time and energy were poured into most of the time. But there are some interior splashes and panels that are just something else! And then ads! Oh man, do you guys read the ads in these books? It's probably just as interesting to me as the storylines themselves! I mean, they're just such cool snapshots of who we were as a country decades upon decades ago. This is a component to comics that I never experienced with my SA-Modern comics. Probably the closest would be reading some of Stan Lee's responses in his letterbox (also quite fun to do), but still...

No... I think that something is lost when books are left forever in the tomb. I realize on the CGC Forum that makes me a minority, and that's ok! We've all said it before, collect what and how you like and you can't miss. :grin:

I realize on the CGC Forum that makes me a minority, and that's ok!
You are with different company on the GA Forum as there are more "crackers" percentage-wise when compared to the other forums.

You are with different company on the GA Forum as there are more "crackers" percentage-wise when compared to the other forums.

Slabs? What are they? ???

They are the things you have been using to serve dinner on.

State of the Hobby:

A) Everything I want costs too much.

B) Everything I want to sell to raise funds to address part A only sells at 50% of guide if at all. (Even books that used to be in category A that I bought anyhow.)

This hobby is now all about what shows through the plastic tomb.

I agree to an extent on this, just look at the recent discussion in another thread over choosing a Tec #31 over a Bat #1. the Tec has a very classic cover, but Bat #1 is a very big key book!!

however, I do think that the deeper a collector gets into the books themselves and the history behind them. that the stories do have a factor on desirability. besides, classic covers have always commanded a premium even before CGC.

I don't own too many GA books with a cover I don't like. :)

I have a tough question for you - What is you single favorite cover?

hm

that is probably too general a question for me to answer...All Select 1 is in my top 3 for sure though :grin: Top Timely cover: probably AS 1 and Marvel 9, Top DC cover: Tec 31

One can collect books based on A) cover alone B) cover and interior story/art C) interior only D) scarcity...I rarely buy books for "C". Normally, "A" and/or "B" apply (thumbs u

Heck of a good answer! (thumbs u

And when ever I hear the term "best cover" or "classic cover" the two that always come to mind are Marvel 9 and Tec 31. All-Select 1 is an amazing cover as well, one of the greatest Timely book covers out there! :applause:

(and I agree it is a very broad and tough question to answer)

Some of my fav's include Tec 31, Marvel 9, Cap 1, All-American 18, Action 13, countless others.

Got any covers in mind you would consider the worst cover?

for worst covers, I don't like many of the later Cap covers that Shores and Avison did (like after #50). I'm pretty biased towards Schomburg Cap covers. S & K interior art is really cool though. I actually like SA interior art and stories much better than GA counterparts. But GA interior art is cool to look at and compare with later versions of superheros.

If the hobby is all about what's in the plastic tomb then I'm in trouble! I think less than 1% of my entire collection is slabbed and the one slabbed GA book I owned was popped out of its casing and read the day I received it.

Covers rock--no getting around it. It seems like this is where most of the artist's time and energy were poured into most of the time. But there are some interior splashes and panels that are just something else! And then ads! Oh man, do you guys read the ads in these books? It's probably just as interesting to me as the storylines themselves! I mean, they're just such cool snapshots of who we were as a country decades upon decades ago. This is a component to comics that I never experienced with my SA-Modern comics. Probably the closest would be reading some of Stan Lee's responses in his letterbox (also quite fun to do), but still...

No... I think that something is lost when books are left forever in the tomb. I realize on the CGC Forum that makes me a minority, and that's ok! We've all said it before, collect what and how you like and you can't miss. :grin:

forgive me Forrest, but you are right and I failed to mention your points. Splash pages rock (Tec 35) and the house ads (like a Bat 1 on a Tec 39 interior) rock as well. WWII ads are also cool to look at. And we know a few crack addicts (Roy, sacentaur, Silver Surfer, Ryan) that love to enjoy the interior art (was meant to be right?) (thumbs u

My biggest question about a slab is: is its plastic recyclable or not?

I put the cases into the recycle bin but never know for sure if that's appropriate :blush:

Ha! Ha! No offense taken! Multiple conversations taking place simultaneously is par for the course on the boards!

The pre-Robin splash pages were exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote that--too funny!

My biggest question about a slab is: is its plastic recyclable or not?

I put the cases into the recycle bin but never know for sure if that's appropriate :blush:

They are great for use as cutting boards and in craft projects. (thumbs u

Ha! Ha! No offense taken! Multiple conversations taking place simultaneously is par for the course on the boards!

The pre-Robin splash pages were exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote that--too funny!

and I should have known to think of that doh!

They're the cool packaging that comics come in so they are safe during transport... and they are the last thing you open before the comic becomes yours :D

In the aftermath of the Heritage auction, I am curious to know how people perceive the current state of the GA market. I have the following impressions:

1. Key books are continuing to rise in value and are proving to be solid investments that are unaffected by poor economic times.

2. A very few non-key book niches (e.g., early actions/supermans, some Nedors, some Timelys) are currently holding and/or increasing their values.

3. Most other books are 25% - 40% off their previous highs. This is not surprising in view of the current economy, which has seen the stock market suffer similar losses.

In short, now appears to be a very good time to buy, but not to sell, most books. I feel sorry for Gary Keller. He had an amazing collection, but took a bath on many of his books in the recent auction.

What are others' thoughts?

Great minds think alike, I agree with above ! ^^

Tec 35 splash is one of the greatest for a number of reasons. :luhv:

the BEST Bat splash page IMO (thumbs u I really wish that was the splash on the 31 ;)

the BEST Bat splash page IMO (thumbs u I really wish that was the splash on the 31 ;)

Yeah, if it was though then 31 would truly have it all!

I wish 31 had a splash, but at least it is the first new Batman logo! Head on Wings.

I wish 31 had a splash, but at least it is the first new Batman logo! Head on Wings.

i don't really like the splash on 31 for some reason (shrug)

yeah, it is really not a splash in my opinion. more of just a logo and some fancy words.

We should demand a refund. (shrug)

yeah, it is really not a splash in my opinion. more of just a logo and some fancy words.

We should demand a refund. (shrug)

just tear the page out. :makepoint: