• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will comic collecting end with our generation?

198 posts in this topic

Millions of kids played board games back in the 50s, 60s and 70s, as many if not more than play video games today, and while old board games are a collectible niche and have a base of collectors, their values are nowhere near the values of comics. I think it's a stretch to say that video games will be a huge collectible in the future simply because they're popular today. The fact that folks are saying it makes it even less likely that they will be valuable in the future (along with the fact that software - what actually brought joy to the potential nostalgic collector - is not tangible and hard plastic lasts a long time (i.e., there will be plenty of supply)). Valuable collectibles sneak up on you... you really can't predict them.

Here is the flaw to your argument. Video Games have already reached a price that is above, and beyond what board games go for. Just check on Ebay for a second, and you get a ton more Video Games going for over $1,000. Whether you like it or not, video games is a legitimate collectible hobby.. Several games have already reached over the $10,000 mark. Basically you're argument is that video games becoming a serious hobby will not happen. What I am telling you is that it already has happened.

Not to mention the fact that he's comparing board games to an 18 billion dollar industry that has become a main part of pop-culture.

Comparatively speaking, that's pretty small compared to the board game industry in it's day. Milton Bradley, Hasbro, and Parker Bros. were huge companies at the height of board game popularity (some have been around since the turn of the century). And from a cultural impact perspective, board games have been bigger (and certainly more lasting) than video games. Monopoly, Battleship, Life, Twister, Trouble, (there are many more) are absolutely iconic games that have been around forever. The oldest, best condition copies don;t go for anywhere near what the top comics go for (all this despite the fact that millions more kids played these games than read comics).

Yes, but board games are not video games. For instance your Milton Bradley example. Lets look at Milton Bradley prices compared to NES prices shall we?

Here are some are the top prices at the moment for Milton Bradley, and for the NES

NES

1.$41,300 Sealed Stadium Events for the NES

2. $2,000 Factory Sealed Mario Bros. for the NES

3. $1775 6 in 1 sealed by Caltran

4. $868.00 Cheetahman sealed

5. $550 Bubble Bobble sealed

Milton Bradley

1. $435.68 (Mostly because this game had cards of sports legends in the 60's

2. $202.50 Sealed The Goonies

3. $197.51 Boy Scouts a game

4.$199.99 Dark Tower (Free shipping)

5. $150.00 Trasportation box puzzle made in the 1890's

Do you get the picture yet? Video games are actually worth more than most board games at the moment. Sure if you get a mint condition Monopoly game than you have something.

Aren't you making my point? What I'm saying is that board games were as popular in their day as video games are today and despite that and the fact that their core audience today has mucho disposable income, they are not worth a whole lot (especially compared to their peers in the comic book field). I'm using that as an example (there are likely many others) to argue that what is popular today, doesn't necessarily become a valuable collectible in the future.

See my earlier post to account for why some select video games have appreciated (and will likely DEPRECIATE) in the future.

But have boardgames ever really appreciated? From what I know this has always been a dead hobby. Video games are far from a dead hobby.

Also take this antictodal evidence of video games compared to board games. I one time went to a yard sale, what I found were two extremely unusual board games. They were actually made by some black power organization from the late 60's, and early seventies. From what I could tell these board games were extremely rare, and I could barely find any info on them. I tried selling one of them when our current president was elected. I thought surely these things must be worth something considering the historical significance, the extreme rarity, and the situation that we were in. Guess what I could not even sell it for $9.99 with free shipping. Then a thought occured to me. If this was a video game it would of been worth a ton of money. And it did not matter which system either. Even for the Odyssey 2 which is the most uncollected system this would of gone for at least $200. But since it was a board game it went for nothing.

It's probably impossible to compare board games to video games for one primary reason--the Internet wasn't around when board games were in their heyday. Without the Internet, would video games even be a popular collectible? (shrug)

Here is the flaw to your argument. Video Games have already reached a price that is above, and beyond what board games go for.

Do we know that to be true for the entire history of board game collecting? It could be that the vintage board game market is in the same decline today that the video game and comic market could be in 50 years from now. (shrug) I have no knowledge of there being a board game collecting heyday that is now long past, but I also can't just discount it entirely.

Don't know for sure, but I don't think there ever was a heydey for board game collectibility. I think the reason for that though is not that board games are different from video games -- its more that pop culture items weren't all that collectible in the 50s and 60s when board games were big. People collected art, stamps, coins, antiques -- but pop culture items were not generally viewed as appreciable collectibles. Still, for some reason comics took off and board games didn't. Had video games come about in the 50s, few would have viewed them as collectible (and maybe today they would be valuable). But now the cats out of the bag -- pretty much everything is collectible in one way or another -- and so I don't see video games achieving enough scarcity to become a meaningful high value collectible in the future.

It's probably impossible to compare board games to video games for one primary reason--the Internet wasn't around when board games were in their heyday. Without the Internet, would video games even be a popular collectible? (shrug)

I don't think board games (with the exception of the top games in their earliest forms which as you mentioned might get some respect) have the oomph factor.

They don't define a generation (they have been around for centuries) and they are just not as attractive from a tech point of view as video games.

Video games are the ground floor for this sort of thing.

Millions of kids played board games back in the 50s, 60s and 70s, as many if not more than play video games today, and while old board games are a collectible niche and have a base of collectors, their values are nowhere near the values of comics. I think it's a stretch to say that video games will be a huge collectible in the future simply because they're popular today. The fact that folks are saying it makes it even less likely that they will be valuable in the future (along with the fact that software - what actually brought joy to the potential nostalgic collector - is not tangible and hard plastic lasts a long time (i.e., there will be plenty of supply)). Valuable collectibles sneak up on you... you really can't predict them.

Here is the flaw to your argument. Video Games have already reached a price that is above, and beyond what board games go for. Just check on Ebay for a second, and you get a ton more Video Games going for over $1,000. Whether you like it or not, video games is a legitimate collectible hobby.. Several games have already reached over the $10,000 mark. Basically you're argument is that video games becoming a serious hobby will not happen. What I am telling you is that it already has happened.

Not to mention the fact that he's comparing board games to an 18 billion dollar industry that has become a main part of pop-culture.

Comparatively speaking, that's pretty small compared to the board game industry in it's day. Milton Bradley, Hasbro, and Parker Bros. were huge companies at the height of board game popularity (some have been around since the turn of the century). And from a cultural impact perspective, board games have been bigger (and certainly more lasting) than video games. Monopoly, Battleship, Life, Twister, Trouble, (there are many more) are absolutely iconic games that have been around forever. The oldest, best condition copies don;t go for anywhere near what the top comics go for (all this despite the fact that millions more kids played these games than read comics).

Yes, but board games are not video games. For instance your Milton Bradley example. Lets look at Milton Bradley prices compared to NES prices shall we?

Here are some are the top prices at the moment for Milton Bradley, and for the NES

NES

Milton Bradley

Do you get the picture yet? Video games are actually worth more than most board games at the moment. Sure if you get a mint condition Monopoly game than you have something.

Aren't you making my point? What I'm saying is that board games were as popular in their day as video games are today and despite that and the fact that their core audience today has mucho disposable income, they are not worth a whole lot (especially compared to their peers in the comic book field). I'm using that as an example (there are likely many others) to argue that what is popular today, doesn't necessarily become a valuable collectible in the future.

See my earlier post to account for why some select video games have appreciated (and will likely DEPRECIATE) in the future.

But have boardgames ever really appreciated? From what I know this has always been a dead hobby. Video games are far from a dead hobby.

I think FF has it right -- if board games came out in today's environment, they'd be just as collectible as video games -- perhaps moreso since condition and completeness would play a much bigger role.

they'd probably be bigger for sure, but then again as homer said you can't play a board game with just yourself, and if there's one thing collectors like doing, its playing with themselves :insane:

So, basically, a collectible hobby doesn't count if it can't be speculated on?

Let's ask these guys if their hobby doesn't count --

www.boardgamegeek.com

NES

Milton Bradley

I think FF has it right -- if board games came out in today's environment, they'd be just as collectible as video games -- perhaps moreso since condition and completeness would play a much bigger role.

So it seems we agree. You really can't compare boardgames to video games. Like you said Video games came out later. So this whole analogy was really a waste of time.

WOW! :o I just saw a kid collecting high grade silver age books and thought that the end is not as near as people think.That teens are still going to be interested in silver and bronze age books,never would I have imagined that the argument would move to collectable video games.If I knew that I could post a thread to get JC all jacked up I would have done it along time ago. :roflmao:

Just kidding JC :boo:

NES

Milton Bradley

So it seems we agree. You really can't compare boardgames to video games. Like you said Video games came out later. So this whole analogy was really a waste of time.

False, we don't agree and the analogy holds very well. I'm not going to repeat the argument... if you can't see it that's your problem.

Here's another reason; games have become an art form and a story-telling medium in the last 10-15 years; go try Heavy Rain which just came out last week, if you're looking for an example of how certain genres of video games are becoming interactive movies.

What kind of story does a board game tell you? Does they have memorable stories, enduring characters, and original scores? Do they provide atmosphere, or get in your head in any way? Do they envoke any emotions or make you think?

Condition and completeness play a huge role in video game collecting.

It amazes me that people can be so sure about their convictions in regards to something they know so little about.

You keep saying stuff like this, but I don't buy it. Please show me any kind of evidence of board game fandom. Where there board game conventions? Board game dealers? Board game collector guides? Movies made about board games? Examples of board games pervading pop-culture, other than maybe monopoly>

Here's another reason; games have become an art form and a story-telling medium in the last 10-15 years; go try Heavy Rain which just came out last week, if you're looking for an example of how certain genres of video games are becoming interactive movies.

What kind of story does a board game tell you? Does they have memorable stories, enduring characters, and original scores? Do they provide atmosphere, or get in your head in any way? Do they envoke any emotions or make you think?

Not sure what that has to do with whether or not video games will be valuable. Does a stamp do any of that? Or a coin? Or an antique? Video games are just next generation board games thanks to ever-improving technologies. By that argument, a modern CGI generated film would be incomparable to an old silent movie which is barely watchable and doesn't even have sound-- but they're both still films and are routinely compared in the context of their times.

I thought you said you were done? :baiting: can't stay away huh? :insane: me neither I always know how these threads will end but it doesn't stop me from posting lol

I'm procrastinating on school work. lol

NES

Milton Bradley

False, we don't agree and the analogy holds very well. I'm not going to repeat the argument... if you can't see it that's your problem.

Personally I know the video game market very well. Video games are not boardgames, no matter how you do the math. Video games are already valued more than boardgames. As community as a whole video games are extremely strong. There are many, many video game forums, with thriving active communities. We have conventions, heck even people at comiccon dress up as video game characters. No one dresses up as pennybags from monopoly. Or any other boardgame character for that matter. I know more about this hobby than you can possibly imagine, so it is surprising how hard core you are on this since you really don't know what your talking about.