• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will comic collecting end with our generation?

198 posts in this topic

I've been playing video games since I was 4 or 5 (I'm 39 now), so I said what I meant.

I highly doubt that, as the first mass market home gaming system was the Atari VCS/2600. and I count that as the Action #1/GA of video CART game collecting.

He misrembered his age, but he's not wrong.

Since I was contesting his "I was 4 or 5" age, your comment is quite a mind bender. :insane:

not clearly, you weren't. your response was generally broad. and in context of his earlier comment about collecting/playing at all, could have been three or four different things.

i certainly didn't understand you were simply challenging his age.

as you were.

I highly doubt that, as the first mass market home gaming system was the Atari VCS/2600. and I count that as the Action #1/GA of video CART game collecting.

I was playing this weird Sears Pong-only system before Atari came out.

see, Joe?

FF thought the same thing. That you were challenging his participation, not chronology.

I think I'm finally coming to peace with the gradual decline of my favorite hobby.

Not the death.

The gradual decline.

There are guys just one board over trading two thousand year old bits of metal.

I think I'm going to be okay.

Between American power, comic books and Christianity waning in the West, this is going to be an odd upcoming five decades for me.

lol

Oh man, you just made my day!

:whee:

But that has nothing to do with the conversation, which concerns game CART/DISC collecting. Arcade unit/one-use only systems are a totally different topic.

But that has nothing to do with the conversation, which concerns game CART/DISC collecting. Arcade unit/one-use only systems are a totally different topic.

I totally agree...so why'd you lead us here by trying to prove I didn't play video games at an impressionable age? :insane: Oh yea...because you're an argumentative , I forgot. :makepoint:

So I'll repeat the assertion that led us here...the reason it's harder for us older guys who played video games in our youth to get into collecting video games ourselves is because video game collecting wasn't popular when we were impressionably young, so other collecting habits crept into our lives instead of video games. When did it start becoming so popular, anyway? Sometime in the 1990s? (shrug)

Is there a more common game in the world than super mario bros? yet sealed copies are regularly $500-$1000 and I'm sure a really outstanding example would get more (haven't seen one in that kind of condition for a good long while though).

over time the games that have gone up a lot are A) the big franchises like mario, final fantasy and to a lesser extent resident evil and pokemon or B) the extremely rare ('just rare' hasn't been enough).

In the case of A) though you need the condition to be either sealed or mint opened for it to be worth anything because of the huge supply of opened/used copies. In the case of B) condition is less important.

Ah, cool to know!

Are all the valuable big franchises that people go for based around original characters, or do sports games go for a lot too?

I totally agree...so why'd you lead us here by trying to prove I didn't play video games at an impressionable age? :insane: Oh yea...because you're an argumentative , I forgot. :makepoint:

So I'll repeat the assertion that led us here...the reason it's harder for us older guys who played video games in our youth to get into collecting video games ourselves is because video game collecting wasn't popular when we were impressionably young, so other collecting habits crept into our lives instead of video games. When did it start becoming so popular, anyway? Sometime in the 1990s? (shrug)

its still not "so popular" but its been growing since the late 90s

Is there a more common game in the world than super mario bros? yet sealed copies are regularly $500-$1000 and I'm sure a really outstanding example would get more (haven't seen one in that kind of condition for a good long while though).

over time the games that have gone up a lot are A) the big franchises like mario, final fantasy and to a lesser extent resident evil and pokemon or B) the extremely rare ('just rare' hasn't been enough).

In the case of A) though you need the condition to be either sealed or mint opened for it to be worth anything because of the huge supply of opened/used copies. In the case of B) condition is less important.

Ah, cool to know!

Are all the valuable big franchises that people go for based around original characters, or do sports games go for a lot too?

when it comes to franchises its usually character driven

sports games that are worth something generally (although not always) derive their value from rarity

Do you agree with COI that there are more video game collectors than comic book collectors? In terms of things that people collect and hoard, comics have been up there for decades now, so if video games have surpassed them, the reality would be that they're quite popular, even if public perception hasn't caught up to that yet.

Do you agree with COI that there are more video game collectors than comic book collectors? In terms of things that people collect and hoard, comics have been up there for decades now, so if video games have surpassed them, the reality would be that they're quite popular, even if public perception hasn't caught up to that yet.

I think it all depends on how you define it. ultimately its apples and oranges.

Do I think there are more people playing games than reading comics? no question.

But at what point is one a collector? does having 100 games make you a collector? uploading a youtube video? I don't know and really I don't have a good sense of the numbers.... especially since the fan base is splintered. The games forum I go to is strictly vintage nintendo. There are sega boards, neo geo boards, boards for more recent stuff. So its hard to guage because its as though these boards talked timely only - would you ever get a good feel for the number of charlton collectors that way?

The way I think COI is interpreting the question I agree with him but I'm really not sure what the right way to interpret the question is.

My suspicion is that there are a good number of collectors of 80s and 90s games as compared to 80s and 90s comics. Overall? I'm not so sure. But if you bring it back to apples and apples by limiting it to a date range on both sides of the equation then I think you can get a better sense and maybe games start to "win". But if you include all the stuff prior to those dates it can't help but seem like comics smacks the holy bejeebus out of games because of all the big money traded on 30s - 70s comics.

now the question is number of collectors not dollar value of transactions, I guess, but its difficult to not put the two together psychologically at least.

There is no comparison, the videogame market is now bigger then the movie industry. Videogames are mainstream, comics are a niche.

all he said was he'd been playing video games a long time. he's not wrong

In JC land, he is.

I just love people that dislike me so much that they will agree with a totally illogical and unfounded argument, just because I disagree with it.

It's like some ancient guy telling us he doesn't collect comics even though he read "picture books" in 1909 when he was 3 years old.

There is no comparison, the videogame market is now bigger then the movie industry. Videogames are mainstream, comics are a niche.

Videogame collectors, I meant--I definitely agree videogames are mainstream, they've been that way since the 1980s, I just have no way to measure how many people are actively hunting out old carts in boxes.

Video games and characters that have trancended the medium? Mario, Lara Croft, Final Fantasy, Pokemon, Resident Evil?

Here is a list of movies based on video games:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_video_games

So you're saying that sealed boxes of Mario, Lara Croft, Final Fantasy, Pokemon, and Resident Evil are worth a lot due to their popularity? I didn't think that was the case... ???

and believe it or not all those characters are much more popular then the deadpools,green lanterns and captain america`s we ballyhoo about. Shows how far videogames have come.

all he said was he'd been playing video games a long time. he's not wrong

In JC land, he is.

I just love people that dislike me so much that they will agree with a totally illogical and unfounded argument, just because I disagree with it.

It's like some ancient guy telling us he doesn't collect comics even though he read "picture books" in 1909 when he was 3 years old.

I don't "dislike you so much".

Scroll back through your PM's from me, kemosabe. I think you will find they are quite complementary and friendly.

But you have a Mellvillian inability to admit any error or mistake.