• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will comic collecting end with our generation?

198 posts in this topic

Millions of kids played board games back in the 50s, 60s and 70s, as many if not more than play video games today

ROFL I give up.

Yeah, totally different comparison. There are characters created in games that are almost as marketable as comic book heroes (and even moreso outside of movies), and will certainly be more valuable in the future.

For example, I'd rather own the Mario license than Spider-man or Superman going forward. Final Fantasy and Pokemon are two other serious game licenses, as they're being being cross-marketed and are extremely lucrative. Lara Croft/Tomb Raider, Sonic the Hedgehog, Yoshi, Kratos, Prince of Persia, Link, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, etc.

But then again, board games have Professor Plum, King Kandy, Uncle Pennybags, and those hungry, hungry hippos. lol

Millions of kids played board games back in the 50s, 60s and 70s, as many if not more than play video games today, and while old board games are a collectible niche and have a base of collectors, their values are nowhere near the values of comics. I think it's a stretch to say that video games will be a huge collectible in the future simply because they're popular today. The fact that folks are saying it makes it even less likely that they will be valuable in the future (along with the fact that software - what actually brought joy to the potential nostalgic collector - is not tangible and hard plastic lasts a long time (i.e., there will be plenty of supply)). Valuable collectibles sneak up on you... you really can't predict them.

Here is the flaw to your argument. Video Games have already reached a price that is above, and beyond what board games go for. Just check on Ebay for a second, and you get a ton more Video Games going for over $1,000. Whether you like it or not, video games is a legitimate collectible hobby.. Several games have already reached over the $10,000 mark. Basically you're argument is that video games becoming a serious hobby will not happen. What I am telling you is that it already has happened.

do you honestly think that some board games do not sell in excess of 10,000 dollars?

naturally only the hardest to find and most desirable ever get past 1000 dollars... just like

video games.

i thought his basic premise was quite solid. you did not really convince me at all. please

define what you mean by "serious". Perhaps that is the confusion.

Millions of kids played board games back in the 50s, 60s and 70s, as many if not more than play video games today, and while old board games are a collectible niche and have a base of collectors, their values are nowhere near the values of comics. I think it's a stretch to say that video games will be a huge collectible in the future simply because they're popular today. The fact that folks are saying it makes it even less likely that they will be valuable in the future (along with the fact that software - what actually brought joy to the potential nostalgic collector - is not tangible and hard plastic lasts a long time (i.e., there will be plenty of supply)). Valuable collectibles sneak up on you... you really can't predict them.

Here is the flaw to your argument. Video Games have already reached a price that is above, and beyond what board games go for. Just check on Ebay for a second, and you get a ton more Video Games going for over $1,000. Whether you like it or not, video games is a legitimate collectible hobby.. Several games have already reached over the $10,000 mark. Basically you're argument is that video games becoming a serious hobby will not happen. What I am telling you is that it already has happened.

do you honestly think that some board games do not sell in excess of 10,000 dollars?

naturally only the hardest to find and most desirable ever get past 1000 dollars... just like

video games.

i thought his basic premise was quite solid. you did not really convince me at all. please

Do a check yourself, don't take my word for it. Just do a simple check of highest prices for completed auctions on Ebay for Milton Bradley and the highest for the NES. Tell me what you see.

i think this factor will be bigger then most realize when it comes to the folks who have

nostalgia to actually play the game instead of getting the thrill of owning the physical media.

the online generation we have now is quite savvy in getting what they want without paying

a red cent. another factor will be things like buying an atari joystick that has every

atari game installed inside it with no need to buy anything else. just hook it up to your

tv/computer and go crazy. i never used it but i know it exists. same with the atari flashback.

i think it will be a rare person who wants to collect video games versus the people who want

to play them for nostalgia reasons is all i am saying.

This captures why I've never ended up collecting carts. I began to feel nostalgia for the games of my youth at least a decade ago, but emulators and downloadable ROMs quenched my thirst. Without those, I would likely have hunted the carts down, which would have had a great chance of making me a collector.

I really don't get this attitude. It would be saying that I would rather have the rolex from the guy on the street than the actual thing. Heck both tell time, and say Rolex. Or saying that you would rather have a reprint of a silverage comic than the same thing. The emulators are not the same. Even the game play is tweaked a bit. See a computer is not an Atari 2600 machine or a NES machine. The emulators do come close but it is not an exact match. There is something to be said about the feel of an original game, or holding an original cart that was part of your childhood that you just can't get from playing on the computer. Or even the way the sounds that come from the tv while playing the game. I would challenge you to play a game from the actual system, and ask yourself if this is the same thing? Most likely you will have a different attitude than you do now.

yes i would be happy with reprints of old expensive comics. i am all about the story now days.

I can be content reading the story and feel no need to own the original. hard to believe eh?

i actually own an atari 2600 with about a 100 games. i loaned it to my brother as he wanted

to play around with it. I have owned old apple computers where i played wings of fury.

i have owned old ibm computers where i played car wars and panzer general.

i have also played all these games on emulators on an x86 computer and if you know

what you are doing you can make it just like how it used to be. naturally i would grab

a x86 copy for wings of fury instead of the apple version or what have you.. but i knew how

to use dosbox to slow down the game so it matched the speed i remembered. It uses

the same files from the game. I can set up the controls as i remember. etc...

so i have no idea what you are talking about. perhaps some games do suck when

emulated but i have yet to encounter them. most of the time when i think suck is when

i try an old game and realize just how low my expectations where back in the day.

cough raiders of the lost ark on atari cough. ;-)

i think this factor will be bigger then most realize when it comes to the folks who have

nostalgia to actually play the game instead of getting the thrill of owning the physical media.

the online generation we have now is quite savvy in getting what they want without paying

a red cent. another factor will be things like buying an atari joystick that has every

atari game installed inside it with no need to buy anything else. just hook it up to your

tv/computer and go crazy. i never used it but i know it exists. same with the atari flashback.

i think it will be a rare person who wants to collect video games versus the people who want

This captures why I've never ended up collecting carts. I began to feel nostalgia for the games of my youth at least a decade ago, but emulators and downloadable ROMs quenched my thirst. Without those, I would likely have hunted the carts down, which would have had a great chance of making me a collector.

I really don't get this attitude. It would be saying that I would rather have the rolex from the guy on the street than the actual thing. Heck both tell time, and say Rolex. Or saying that you would rather have a reprint of a silverage comic than the same thing. The emulators are not the same. Even the game play is tweaked a bit. See a computer is not an Atari 2600 machine or a NES machine. The emulators do come close but it is not an exact match. There is something to be said about the feel of an original game, or holding an original cart that was part of your childhood that you just can't get from playing on the computer. Or even the way the sounds that come from the tv while playing the game. I would challenge you to play a game from the actual system, and ask yourself if this is the same thing? Most likely you will have a different attitude than you do now.

yes i would be happy with reprints of old expensive comics. i am all about the story now days.

I can be content reading the story and feel no need to own the original. hard to believe eh?

i actually own an atari 2600 with about a 100 games. i loaned it to my brother as he wanted

to play around with it. I have owned old apple computers where i played wings of fury.

i have also played all these games on emulators on an x86 computer and if you know

what you are doing you can make it just like how it used to be. naturally i would grab

a x86 copy for wings of fury instead of the apple version or what have you.. but i knew how

to use dosbox to slow down the game so it matched the speed i remembered. It uses

emulated but i have yet to encounter them. most of the time when i think suck is when

i try an old game and realize just how low my expectations where back in the day.

You need the instruction booklet for Raiders of the Lost Ark. Without it, the game is simply unplayable. Try playing some real Atari 2600 games.

cough, Megamania, Galaxian, Space Invaders, Pitfall, Pitfall II, Adventure, H.E.R.O., Ms Pac-man, Centipede, Kaboom, River Raid on Atari cough.

video games.

Do a check yourself, don't take my word for it. Just do a simple check of highest prices for completed auctions on Ebay for Milton Bradley and the highest for the NES. Tell me what you see.

is ebay the only auction house that you visit? naturally ebay is great for video games

as the more mainstream auction houses will not give video games the time of day

yet but will gladly have toy/game auctions. here is a famous game i could google up

fast. I am not even touching old chess sets or victorian games. The one below is 1936

i think. I wonder what a mint condition first release of monopoly sells for?

Bulls and Bears: The Great Wall Street Game

McLoughlin Brothers, 1883

Estimated value: $10,000–$12,000

One of the rarest antique financial games, this one is based on the oscillations of the stock market. On the board, moths drawn to flames are sketched above alternating “rise?? and “fall?? spaces near caricatures of tycoons Jay Gould and William Henry Vanderbilt.

You need the instruction booklet for Raiders of the Lost Ark. Without it, the game is simply unplayable. Try playing some real Atari 2600 games.

cough, Megamania, Galaxian, Space Invaders, Pitfall, Pitfall II, Adventure, H.E.R.O., Ms Pac-man, Centipede, Kaboom, River Raid on Atari cough.

i was just using the game as an example of me remembering a game that sucked.

it sucked then with the manual and it sucks now.

and yes.. i own all those games except for a few. it seems no matter who comes up with

a different opinion that makes a bit of sense.. you will find a way to bash it.

lol, so an ultra-rare board game from 1883 is *only* worth $10-$12K?

Well, you sure sold me. :roflmao:

1883 is when the company started... 1936-1937 is when they released the game.

what is it with people and picking one minor thing and bashing the whole point of the post?

this place is so good at that.

and yes.. i own all those games...

Let's see some pics of this "massive" video game collection you keep talking about.

who in the world takes pictures of a brown grocery bag full of atari games and an old

avon box from back in the day from my grandma with the system in it and two sets of

controllers?

are you really that odd? truly? that you think by asking me to prove it i will feel the need

to

go out of my way to take pictures of it or i will lose all credibility?

i am done with this thread. video games are collectibles. no one disagrees. the point that

is interesting is if it will ever compare to comics. that can be debated.

Video games haven't been around long enough to say whether or not they'll have lasting impact as a serious high value collectible. No doubt there will be folks that will collect them but whether they'll have staying power is another matter. Keep in mind that comics have been around for eighty years now and the back issue market has never been as strong as it is today. My guess is that part of the reason that you're seeing video game appreciation today is essentially the argument folks have been making... that they'll be REALLY HOT 20 years from now. I also guess though that there are likely pallets of unopened old video game cartridges sitting in warehouses and storage containers -- and plenty more sitting in boxes in people's basements in attics.

Not to mention the fact that he's comparing board games to an 18 billion dollar industry that has become a main part of pop-culture.

Comparatively speaking, that's pretty small compared to the board game industry in it's day. Milton Bradley, Hasbro, and Parker Bros. were huge companies at the height of board game popularity (some have been around since the turn of the century). And from a cultural impact perspective, board games have been bigger (and certainly more lasting) than video games. Monopoly, Battleship, Life, Twister, Trouble, (there are many more) are absolutely iconic games that have been around forever. The oldest, best condition copies don;t go for anywhere near what the top comics go for (all this despite the fact that millions more kids played these games than read comics).

Millions of kids played board games back in the 50s, 60s and 70s, as many if not more than play video games today

ROFL I give up.

Yeah, totally different comparison. There are characters created in games that are almost as marketable as comic book heroes (and even moreso outside of movies), and will certainly be more valuable in the future.

For example, I'd rather own the Mario license than Spider-man or Superman going forward. Final Fantasy and Pokemon are two other serious game licenses, as they're being being cross-marketed and are extremely lucrative. Lara Croft/Tomb Raider, Sonic the Hedgehog, Yoshi, Kratos, Prince of Persia, Link, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, etc.

But then again, board games have Professor Plum, King Kandy, Uncle Pennybags, and those hungry, hungry hippos. lol

Weren't you the one who argued that big budget comic book movies didn't translate into more comic book collectors? So now you're saying that that there will be plenty of video game collectors in the future due to licensing of characters?

Not to mention the fact that he's comparing board games to an 18 billion dollar industry that has become a main part of pop-culture.

Comparatively speaking, that's pretty small compared to the board game industry in it's day. Milton Bradley, Hasbro, and Parker Bros. were huge companies at the height of board game popularity (some have been around since the turn of the century). And from a cultural impact perspective, board games have been bigger (and certainly more lasting) than video games. Monopoly, Battleship, Life, Twister, Trouble, (there are many more) are absolutely iconic games that have been around forever. The oldest, best condition copies don;t go for anywhere near what the top comics go for (all this despite the fact that millions more kids played these games than read comics).

Yes, but board games are not video games. For instance your Milton Bradley example. Lets look at Milton Bradley prices compared to NES prices shall we?

Here are some are the top prices at the moment for Milton Bradley, and for the NES

NES

1.$41,300 Sealed Stadium Events for the NES

2. $2,000 Factory Sealed Mario Bros. for the NES

3. $1775 6 in 1 sealed by Caltran

4. $868.00 Cheetahman sealed

5. $550 Bubble Bobble sealed

Milton Bradley

1. $435.68 (Mostly because this game had cards of sports legends in the 60's

2. $202.50 Sealed The Goonies

3. $197.51 Boy Scouts a game

4.$199.99 Dark Tower (Free shipping)

5. $150.00 Trasportation box puzzle made in the 1890's

Do you get the picture yet? Video games are actually worth more than most board games at the moment. Sure if you get a mint condition Monopoly game than you have something.

I'm having trouble dismissing board games as a potential indicator of how the video games market will go...there appear to be similarities. Unless you already know what the market was like for new and vintage board games in the 1930s, 1960s, and 1990s, I'm not sure how you're dismissing it either. (shrug)

Here is the flaw to your argument. Video Games have already reached a price that is above, and beyond what board games go for.

Do we know that to be true for the entire history of board game collecting? It could be that the vintage board game market is in the same decline today that the video game and comic market could be in 50 years from now. (shrug) I have no knowledge of there being a board game collecting heyday that is now long past, but I also can't just discount it entirely.

I'm having trouble dismissing board games as a potential indicator of how the video games market will go...there appear to be similarities. Unless you already know what the market was like for new and vintage board games in the 1930s, 1960s, and 1990s, I'm not sure how you're dismissing it either. (shrug)

Big difference. Most board games have to be played by at least 2 players. Most Video games are played by the individual. With video games the individual is transported to a magical world where their job is to be the hero for a certain game. It is not uncommon to see someone dressed up as their favorite video game character. How often do people actually dress up as a board game character? I mean the Monopoly guy is probably the most famous board game character out there but I have never seen anyone ever dress like that guy. But you see people dressed as Mario or Zelda, or some other video game character all the time. In truth the only real similarity between a board game, and a video game is that they have game at the end of their title. Board games are about as much like video games, as sports games like baseball, football,or basketball, are to video games.

Yes, but board games are not video games. For instance your Milton Bradley example. Lets look at Milton Bradley prices compared to NES prices shall we?

Here are some are the top prices at the moment for Milton Bradley, and for the NES

NES

1.$41,300 Sealed Stadium Events for the NES

2. $2,000 Factory Sealed Mario Bros. for the NES

3. $1775 6 in 1 sealed by Caltran

4. $868.00 Cheetahman sealed

5. $550 Bubble Bobble sealed

Milton Bradley

1. $435.68 (Mostly because this game had cards of sports legends in the 60's

2. $202.50 Sealed The Goonies

3. $197.51 Boy Scouts a game

4.$199.99 Dark Tower (Free shipping)

5. $150.00 Trasportation box puzzle made in the 1890's

Do you get the picture yet? Video games are actually worth more than most board games at the moment. Sure if you get a mint condition Monopoly game than you have something.

Aren't you making my point? What I'm saying is that board games were as popular in their day as video games are today and despite that and the fact that their core audience today has mucho disposable income, they are not worth a whole lot (especially compared to their peers in the comic book field). I'm using that as an example (there are likely many others) to argue that what is popular today, doesn't necessarily become a valuable collectible in the future.

See my earlier post to account for why some select video games have appreciated (and will likely DEPRECIATE) in the future.