• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Old School Tag Team

150 posts in this topic

Ultimate Warrior on the left.

And it's Greggy in for the assist.

Back in the mid-80s I worked at a gym with a couple of guy who were wrestlers. These two unknown guys, using the name The Blade Runners, came to Dallas for a bout. They hung out and trained with my friends while they were in town.

I didn't keep up with wrestling much after that but several years later, when I saw Sting, I said, "Hey I know that guy. I drank beer with him in the back of a pickup behind our gym." Then I saw the Ultimate Warrior minus his makeup... "Hey, that's that other dude."

Back in the mid-80s I worked at a gym with a couple of guy who were wrestlers. These two unknown guys, using the name The Blade Runners, came to Dallas for a bout. They hung out and trained with my friends while they were in town.

I didn't keep up with wrestling much after that but several years later, when I saw Sting, I said, "Hey I know that guy. I drank beer with him in the back of a pickup behind our gym." Then I saw the Ultimate Warrior minus his makeup... "Hey, that's that other dude."

They were in Championship Wrestling from Florida (CWF), a division of the NWA, at the time

They were in Championship Wrestling from Florida (CWF), a division of the NWA, at the time

This was the summer of 1986, before they became successful as far as I know. Shortly after that summer, heck it might have been during that summer, UW (Rock) left the team. He stayed in Dallas and became the Dingo Warrior. Sting picked up another TT partner and they wrestled as the Blade Runners for a while too.

Man, that brings back memories :cloud9: The Road Warriros started out in CWF like the Blade Runners, and initially they wore leather get-ups: vest, pants, caps. They looked like something out of an S&M exhibit (think the dude that wore leather in the Village People)

This was the summer of 1986, before they became successful as far as I know. Shortly after that summer, heck it might have been during that summer, UW (Rock) left the team. He stayed in Dallas and became the Dingo Warrior. Sting picked up another TT partner and they wrestled as the Blade Runners for a while too.

CWF was a training ground for new talent. It allowed them to get their feet wet and develop their characters and technique in the ring. Scott Hall replaced the UW in the tag team (thumbs u

In forty plus years of watching wrestling, The Road Warriors stand heads and shoulders above any others. Only ones that come close, imho , would be The Steiners and Scott Hall/Kevin Nash.

Midnite Express( Jim Coronets version), the Valiant Bros and the ECW version of The Dudleys gave the best heat.

The Midnight Express were great, largely due to Jim Coronet. The original version of the Dudleys (Dances with Dudley, Dudley Dudley, etc) were lame. It's only when D-Von & Bubby Ray took over that they rocked (thumbs u

Big Dudley was the z. Sign Guy Dudley was my favorite, but DVon and Bu-bu-bubba Ray worked a crowd like no one I've seen since vintage Brian Pillman or The Animal.

Man, that brings back memories :cloud9: The Road Warriros started out in CWF like the Blade Runners, and initially they wore leather get-ups: vest, pants, caps. They looked like something out of an S&M exhibit (think the dude that wore leather in the Village People)

The word from my co-workers back then was the Road Warriors were what they called "shooters". If there were wrestlers who weren't toting the line in some way they would go in and mess them up for real. They'd drop them on their neck when they bodyslammed them or let their heads hit the ground when they did a piledriver. Nasty stuff. They were so strong (for the that time) they outclassed everyone in the lower ranks of professional wrestling.

Modern day pro wrestling wouldn't be what it is today if not for them. They set the stage for a lot of over the top theatrics.

Not tag team but Lex Luger and Mr. Wonderful lived in the same apartment complex as my father back in the early 80's.

As a side note, I gave JYD $5.00 in 1996 because he was staning outside a Circle K begging for some money for food.

Not tag team but Lex Luger and Mr. Wonderful lived in the same apartment complex as my father back in the early 80's.

As a side note, I gave JYD $5.00 in 1996 because he was staning outside a Circle K begging for some money for food.

Wow,that is sad. :(

What no votes for Nikolai Volkov and the Iron Sheik??? The day they won the belts from Barry Wyndham and Mike Rotundo was life changing :cloud9:

Jim

I might still remember watching that.

hm

Championship Wrestling from Florida

Every Saturday evening in the '70's & early '80's, little Tupenny watched Gordon Solie's broadcast of CWF from Tampa, FL.

:headbang:

Who tag teamed with Paul Orndorf? I remember an epic tag team bout with Orndorf and his partner against, I think, Hogan and Macho man. I had it on the same VHS tape as the first Hagler-Hearns fight. My bro and I watched it every day for a month straight one summer.

PS: No one was cooler the Rowdy Roddy.