• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My package is "under review"

52 posts in this topic

I have a real hate-on for Canada Customs (and Canada Post).

I purchased some OA from a US dealer and it was shipped on Feb 19th.

(The seller waited a full 9 days after I submitted my Paypal payment to contact me to confirm my shipping address - which I'd already given him - and then another 7 days after that until he shipped the package... but that's a rant of a different colour.)

I've been following the package's progress via Canada Post's online tracking system.

It "left the country of origin" on Feb 21st, and it arrived in Canada on Feb 24th.

Since last Wednesday, Feb 24th, the tracking status hasn't budged. Here's what it says:

"International item arrived in Canada and will be reviewed by Customs."

The package has been in "review" for 8 days so far. How long does it take to review two pieces of comic art???

I wrote to Canada Post and got this reply:

Thank you for your message to Canada Post.

I can certainly appreciate your concern and I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

The only information available to us is the information listed on our online tracking

Once an item is assessed by Customs, it will be handed over to Canada Post for delivery. Customs does not have an internal tracking system. They are unable to trace a particular item within their office. By calling their office, they will only be able to provide an explanation on their review processes.

If this delay is too long, the sender must contact his local post office as the originating country is responsible for tracing and processing claims on their own items regardless of where the item was last scanned.

I know all about the process for initiating a trace, and how it has to be done by the shipping, not the receiver. I get it. That's not where my frustration lies.

I don't understand how a package can just disappear into limbo once Canada Custom's takes possession of it. They just swallow your package whole. You can't trace it, you can't call anyone, nothing. You just have to wait and bide your time until they regurgitate it back into the system.

And apparently, this Canada Customs digestion period can be insanely long. I did a google search and found countless horror stories from people who had to wait 4 weeks, or 2 months, or... ulp!... a year and a half until their package emerged from the bowels of Canada Customs and was put back in the hands of Canada Post for delivery. Again, no word of explanation. Long after the recipient had forgotten about the package, it suddenly appeared on their doorstep.

I've never felt so.... impotent in my life.

------

Between my subject line and that closing line, I realize I've just spun gold for the "out of context" thread. hm

that sucks, and as a fellow Canuck I feel your pain. I haven't had anything held at customs for more than a week though. But then again, I've also never purchased OA from the US

First off, let me say that I thought this was about a `guy problem'. Second, it took customs up to two weeks to let sumthin through that I had coming from the great white north. And lastly, don't you guys have a Captain Canada to use for your avatars? (shrug)

you're lucky sometimes you have to pay to get your package under reviewed !!!

Agreed...there's nothing I enjoy more than having my package reviewed. :cloud9:

This thread will remain derailed until it dies. :insane:

Well, I'd put on a suit and tie. Because if you're going to feel impotent, you might as well look impotent.

lol One of my favorite non-PC punchlines of all time.

PS: This is the 1st thread title that could make the out-of-context quotes thread . . .

PS: This is the 1st thread title that could make the out-of-context quotes thread . . .

Ah, but my tale of woe got some attention ... albeit for all the wrong reasons.

The post was laced with out-of-context goodies, but only some were inadvertent.

I once purchased a rare and complete miniature model from someone in the US and Canada Customs held my package for 2 months. Upon receipt of the package it was clear customs had opened it to inspect the contents. My guess is they spilled all the pieces everywhere because when I got the model it was no longer complete. The seller assured me it was definitely a complete model when sent. I was indeed powerless. the Canada Customs juggernaut can do whatever it wants with no repercussions.

Well, I'd put on a suit and tie. Because if you're going to feel impotent, you might as well look impotent.

lol One of my favorite non-PC punchlines of all time.

Agreed, I thought this was going to be about a trip to the free clinic for some penicillin.

My guess is they spilled all the pieces everywhere because when I got the model it was no longer complete. The seller assured me it was definitely a complete model when sent.

:o

I've heard a couple of horror stories about Canadian customs. I remember going over to Victoria on a clipper from Seattle. Customs never checked any of me baggage coming off the boat.

A relative has a horse training business and he told me some other horse trainer was driving into Canada for a show and told the folks at the customs she had nothing to declare. She conveniently forgot to mention the two cases of horse training DVDs and books she intended to sell at the show. Canada told her to not come back. No joke. :eek:

My worse Canada Post experience is when I shipped an insured box of valuable comics to USA but the buyer quoted me his address wrong over the phone (old days before email, PayPal, eBay). Crushed box was eventually returned to me after 3.5 months with damaged corner on all comics. Since the parcel itself was not lost, Cda Post would just reimburse me the initial cost of postage, not the value of the goods inside since they were physically returned to me albeit bent. :sick: Rip off!