• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Since so many people have inquired about Leaf Casting

52 posts in this topic

And I can't post client books that have benefited from the process, I did the next best thing. I used Forrests beat to heck Action 56 to try out my newly rebuilt casting table!

While everyone can Google and read up on Leaf Casting, there still seems to be a lot of confusion about the almost magical process. So I will try and hit on a few things.

The concept itself is simple in theory. You submerge a page, document or comic cover and pull blended paper pulp through the missing areas as the water drains out. When this pulp accumulates it fills in the missing areas much like how paper is initially made. And through a process known as Hydrogen Bonding, the paper litterally bonds itself to the host as it dries. There is a world of difference in casting a document that will remain flat, and a comic book that obviously was meant to be folded and handled.

So...on to Forrests book

Keep in mind this was a low dollar book meant more to try out a few new things Matt and I worked out recently, then to fully restore. The procedures used would be quite similar if this were a Key book, the only difference being MUCH more time would have spent on the small details. So there are some warts on his book I am ashamed to admit I left...as is, simply because time did not allow for me to fix them along the way.

The problems that arise when casting a cover like this are numerous. Mainly being the cover is totally split, with no real outer edges to match up against the interior. So one must line up the cover to fit around the interior before casting, all while it is wet/underwater. Then you add in the problems with brittle edges and loose bits and well..you can just imagine the dance that ensues once you start the process.

Also the paper used for the pulp has to be carefully considered. While you try and match the texture and shade of the cover, it can be too dark when compared to the exterior side..or to light on the interior , or visa verca depending on the cover aged. So we have found it best to try and get a close match to the exterior whites since that is what is viewed the most. Also you need to be careful on how much pulp you use. If you do not create enough pulp your cast is too thin, too much and it is obviously too thick. Computers are used for determining the amount of pulp to fill the missing area in the "real world", but we found a nice work around for this problem.

So you can see it is not just a simple matter of "casting a cover" It takes a lot of pre planning, and a lot of things to go right along every step of the process to make a casted cover not only look, but feel like a comic book.

The exciting thing(to me) about leaf casting on a cover like this is it really does make the page "whole" again, as opposed to adding bits and pieces here and there old school, frankenbook style. Not to mention trying to rebuild this cover by hand would be out of the question on lower dollar books like this.

Anyhow, here is a progression of shots that take the cover from loose scraps, to washed/casted, and finally trimmed and folded. I will upload some scans of the book later tonight if people want to see actual scans.

1-4.jpg

DSC00093.jpg

DSC00097.jpg

DSC00074-1.jpg

DSC00092.jpg

DSC00095.jpg

Oh. My. GOD!

(worship)

Kenny, that is SO impressive! I nearly forgot how beaten and sorry that split cover was and now? I can't believe what you were able to do here. I was just showing my wife and she was really impressed with the preservation work you did (note her use of the word 'preservation'--thought you'd appreciate that!-).

And let me emphasize to the rest of you how brittle the edges of the cover were especially along the spine so it's almost a little unreal to hear that this will be a readable book again. Honestly, if Kenny is able to make a cover from a book in this shape look like that and he doesn't believe it's up to his normal capabilities, then it only reinforces to me the level of quality they bring to their work!

Really, really impressive stuff! :headbang:

Kenny, Thanks for showing us the work done, it is very impressive. I am curious as to why there are certain parts of the cover that were there before the leaf casting and then gone after. The boy looking through the telescope, the FREE area etc. Were these removed as the paper was to far gone to allow for a proper bond? Its extremely interesting and I would like to learn more.

Kenny, Thanks for showing us the work done, it is very impressive. I am curious as to why there are certain parts of the cover that were there before the leaf casting and then gone after. The boy looking through the telescope, the FREE area etc. Were these removed as the paper was to far gone to allow for a proper bond? Its extremely interesting and I would like to learn more.

I always love when Kenny posts resto photos. So cool to see a comic book return from the dead. Awesome stuff! You gonna cast all the interior pages, too? :baiting:

I noticed some "missing" areas, as well. The loose triangle below the telescope boy is nearly lost underneath the new paper. Especially on the inside. Looks like the interior is much fuzzier on the edges than the outside.. the back cover hole appears larger now and the tears are more pronounced. Probably because the interior was face-up during the process and collects most of the bonding pulp? Is there any way to reduce this effect, Kenny, or is that just the way it has to be to allow the paper to bond?

Yeah, any missing art you see if a result from it being torn or brittle to the point of falling off.

Normally we would rebuild the puzzle so to speak, re attach all the chippy bits by hand prior to casting. It's simply another step that takes time. The large piece I did place on the spine became displaced slightly while submerged. :pullhair:

Here is a shot of the interior that shows just how many little chips were stuck to it. I will probably go back and glue some back on, it just seems sort or pointless with so much other art missing.

int.jpg

Looks like the interior is much fuzzier on the edges than the outside.. the back cover hole appears larger now and the tears are more pronounced. Probably because the interior was face-up during the process and collects most of the bonding pulp? Is there any way to reduce this effect, Kenny, or is that just the way it has to be to allow the paper to bond?

Yup, you kinda answered your own questions. The tears get sealed by pulp passing through them, but since the tears go through cover art it is quite noticable.

The excess paper you see (the overhang feathered part) is necessary in this, or hand applied repairs. Imagine filling a hole with brand new paper, the new paper is only as strong as the bond it makes with the original material. So a repair that does not cover up any interior art would not add any tensile strength to weakened or missing area.

Hope this make sense.

But you are correct, some areas might have more pulp then desired, and can be removed. But again, this was just a sort of test run so I left it as it lay. It has an almost organic quality to it that only flowing water can create.

Appreciate the comments.

Mailed out Forrests book today, and as promised here are the scans. Where nothing can hide.

ForrestsbookFCbefore0001.jpg

forrestsbookafterfc0001.jpg

ForrestsbookBCb40001.jpg

bcafter0001.jpg

Kenny, bring your equipment to Chicago and lets see if we can join two board members together using the technique.

lol