• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recommendations for a Pre-Screener?

7 posts in this topic

I'm looking to cull my collection and am thinking of sending in about 30-50 SA/BA books for grading, with an eye towards selling them.

I'd rather not waste money on a book I think is a 9.0 if it comes back a 8.0 so I'm thinking of sending them out for pre-screening.

As I understand it, CGC isn't really an option as they will only pre-screen all your books for a certain grade, not individual books at X grade.

For example- I'd slab an XMen 109 if it was 9.4 or better, but sell it raw at anything less. A TOS book might be worth slabbing at 8.5, while another might be worth it at 7.5.

Can anyone recommend such a service?

The boardies that I have bought multiple raw books from, subbed them and that were nearly always spot are greggy, october and foolkiller. Getting one of them to do it might be tough. I'd recommend F_T, but on three of the six books I've subbed from him he's been dead on and on three he was tougher than CGC. :insane:

Matt Nelson has looked at books for me, but it has always been with an eye toward whether the books were going to be pressed or not. He is 90+ percent accurate.

Matt Nelson.

It's called pro-screen. I had mixed results.

He saved me from grading a number of books that I missed stuff on. Small bc stains, staple problems, etc. Also, he will ship directly to CGC and fill out the CGC forms for you, and arrange with CGC to have the graded books sent directly to you. You pay Matt only, not CGC ,so you get Matt's CGC discount on the grading costs.

But, about half the books that were graded did not meet his assessment - CGC graded them lower, none (or maybe one) graded higher. The end result is that I had a number of them graded that shouldn't have been and were sold at or below the grading/screening cost.

This is my personal experience with a small batch of 20-30 silver/bronze books. I still think it was worth the money for the pre-screening, which was like $3/book. Also does a resto check.

If you use my pressing service I usually throw in the pre-screening for a nominal fee. I can also offer a better discount on the actual grading fees and charge less for the pressing.

I also fill out the paperwork and hand carry the books to CGC for you.