• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Slabbing

27 posts in this topic

I only slab books for resale,or to get a restoration check. One DC book I bought raw from a well known dealer as an 8.0 came back as an PLOD 8.5. Notes said a tear had been sealed, and there was a touch of color. I never saw either, and didn't after the dealer removed it from the slab. He refunded my money, gave me an undercopy 5.0 for my troubles and later told me he'd returned the book to the dealer he had got it from.

For display purposes, I've bought a number of slabs off ebay and at shows for $10 or less, opened them and put my own books into the hard case.

I never see $10 or less slabs in Canada, so I am using the former Showcase Sealer as a slab or storage case. They only make SA and modern widths though:

P3060905.jpg

Best for signed comics you may not want to pay to be slabbed or raw vg keys, semi-keys. :gossip:

I buy slabs because I trust the grade and when I'm buying key issues online, it's a good way to know roughly what I'll be receiving. I've never been disapointed.

Also, I like the restoration check and the peace of mind.

Lastly, I think comics look great in slabs. It's an amazing comic holder, superior to all others for preservation!

I love the idea of slabbing books, I understand you are getting a tremendous service for what they do when they slab. For me personally the biggest factor in slabbing is finances. I would love to slab all my keepers but that would be ridiculas price. Even though I probably have a smaller collection than most people we are still looking at thousands. So it comes down to maybe slabbing keys or certain boooks, but again with $$ i hesitate to get something slabbed that might be low grade and really slabbed doesnt impact the value to it.

Most my books are SA so your looking at least $32 plus a book plus shipping ins. Adds up quick. Wish there was some sort of bulk discounts or payment plan hahahah

Get in tight with a dealer. Submit your books through them and if they like you you might get a better discount on the submissions. 20% off of $32 is $6.40 per book. Sub 30 books and you are spending $192 less.

joey is that a dealer discount?

Anyone can get the 10% discount, but the 20% discount is limited to dealers.

I don't really like slabs or the space they take up. I only buy them if it's the only way to get a HG issue, or if it's a bargain. I've never gotten anything slabbed. I have, however, deslabbed over 100 books...., probably more, for my permanent collection.

Personally, it seems "the honeymoon is over" with a lot of slabs - you can pick up quite a few SA 8.5s to 9.2s for less than the OSPG prices. I would question spending money to get stuff like that slabbed if you're doing it for resale, as I don't think you'll ever recoup the expense. I do understand it if you like the appearance of slabs.