• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Slabbing

27 posts in this topic

It seems people look at slabbing different, authentication, preservation, grading, $$

I wanted to know what do people think about when deciding to slab a book. Is it purely to get the grade verified? Is it money? How much more something will be worth slabbed? Is it just cause they collect slabbed books?

What sort of criteria do they look at to decide slab or not? I have seen people grade 7.0s , 1.8, 9.8, etc....

What are some peoples criteria to get and spend that $30 plus dollars to get the book slabbed.

I wanted to know what do people think about when deciding to slab a book. Is it purely to get the grade verified? Is it money? How much more something will be worth slabbed? Is it just cause they collect slabbed books?

Yup to all

It seems people look at slabbing different, authentication, preservation, grading, $$

What sort of criteria do they look at to decide slab or not? I have seen people grade 7.0s , 1.8, 9.8, etc....

What are some peoples criteria to get and spend that $30 plus dollars to get the book slabbed.

for me alot has to do with the preservation/display factor of cgc ...even tho my TOS 39 & xmen 1 are low grade (1.5's) it was best to not handle the books more then they need to be so slabbing them made it safer for me to show them off to friends who wanted to see them...and i wish i could spend 30 bucks on slabbing lol i always do the 20 to 5 day turn around cause i hate waiting..so that 54-84 bucks a pop =( plus i like knowing my books are graded by a company MOST dealers/collectors can agree on which makes things easier when i do sell or trade.....

It's so I can take expensive comics to look at on the can and protect them from the, err...elements. :cloud9:

I slabbed the books

a) to preserve even in low or mid grade some books I keep for my collection.

b) and to sell...I have a ton of 9.8 raw bronze books. It is not easy to sell 9.8 raw so off to CGC they go.

I don't slab to sell anymore. I slab my keepers.

Copper/Modern/Late Bronze is only worth slabbing if you are pretty confident in a 9.8 . Many 9.8's are now cheaper to purchase already slabbed.

I will slab early Bronze in 9.4, especially if it's a Pedigree or a favorite.

Early SA keys are worth slabbing in any grade.

Non-keys, Pre-Hero, and GA are worth slabbing in 8.0 or better.

Besides simply looking better,I like the resto check,and the CGC Registry.

Also I have a blanket insurance policy on my collection so it's good for insurance reasons.

I slabbed the books

a) to preserve even in low or mid grade some books I keep for my collection.

b) and to sell...I have a ton of 9.8 raw bronze books. It is not easy to sell 9.8 raw so off to CGC they go.

Yes but you live in Sarasota. Would you slab as much if you had the added expenses of shipping ? The return shipping/insurance on CGC books is expensive.

I get books slabbed mostly for the protection that slabs offer as well for aesthetic reasons. The value or condition of the book has no bearing, if I like the book, I get it slabbed. I have to admit that I've been caught up in building several registry sets and that just adds a little fun to the whole process.

I used to send in a lot more books, but since they raised prices I limit myself three books a month.

I love the idea of slabbing books, I understand you are getting a tremendous service for what they do when they slab. For me personally the biggest factor in slabbing is finances. I would love to slab all my keepers but that would be ridiculas price. Even though I probably have a smaller collection than most people we are still looking at thousands. So it comes down to maybe slabbing keys or certain boooks, but again with $$ i hesitate to get something slabbed that might be low grade and really slabbed doesnt impact the value to it.

Most my books are SA so your looking at least $32 plus a book plus shipping ins. Adds up quick. Wish there was some sort of bulk discounts or payment plan hahahah

I used to send in a lot more books, but since they raised prices I limit myself three books a month.

thats an interesting way to go about it, I guess hm Do like 30 books a year or so.

Would you slab more if it were cheaper or a bulk discount or something.

I agree and that is why I only slab 9.8 bronze that I want to sell. SA books, I only slab what I want to keep.

Since I am in Sarasota and can drop off, I must bring at least 100 books or I can't so it isn't like I can drop off 2 books and save money on shipping. Either way, it is expensive so unless a book can fetch $40 or more, it is really not worth the time and effort in my opinion. Heck if I can get someone to pay me a fair price for a 9.8 raw, I will gladly sell them but we already have a thread on how most want 9.8 raw but will not pay a fair or even reasonable price for them.

Why not wait until you have 10 or so books ready and then send them in? CGC charges $21 + insurance to ship back 3 books, but "only" $30 + insurance to ship back 10 books ...

I love the idea of slabbing books, I understand you are getting a tremendous service for what they do when they slab. For me personally the biggest factor in slabbing is finances. I would love to slab all my keepers but that would be ridiculas price. Even though I probably have a smaller collection than most people we are still looking at thousands. So it comes down to maybe slabbing keys or certain boooks, but again with $$ i hesitate to get something slabbed that might be low grade and really slabbed doesnt impact the value to it.

Most my books are SA so your looking at least $32 plus a book plus shipping ins. Adds up quick. Wish there was some sort of bulk discounts or payment plan hahahah

Get in tight with a dealer. Submit your books through them and if they like you you might get a better discount on the submissions. 20% off of $32 is $6.40 per book. Sub 30 books and you are spending $192 less.

94614.jpg

Get in tight with a dealer. Submit your books through them and if they like you you might get a better discount on the submissions. 20% off of $32 is $6.40 per book. Sub 30 books and you are spending $192 less.

joey is that a dealer discount?

I buy slabbed because of the resto check, I submit for slabbing for preservation/display purposes. I returned to collecting after a 30 year hiatus, and at first I was vehemently opposed to slabs, but now I prefer them and wish my entire collection were CGC'd.

So is it realistic to think you can slab your keeper collection that is raw into slabs and come out ahead economically with a middle of the road collection ( no super keys or midgrade books mostly SA and early copper/bronze) ??

The tipping point for me is that a book must be worth at least $100 for me to slab it*, and I generally keep everything I acquire. If I were slabbing for resale the threshold would be a bit higher than $100.

*factoring in that I only collect silver & gold, I might have a lower threshold on later books that are cheaper to slab.