• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's more difficult to find in High Grade?

Which is tougher to find?  

249 members have voted

1. 1. Which is tougher to find?

27 posts in this topic

My experience in buying OO collections with unread multiples has been that even in the late 60s through 70s Marvels tend to survive in better shape than DCs. I have suspected that there is a bit of a difference in the cover stock between the two since in the collections I have found that were stored in the exact same way the DCs had more damage than the Marvels from the same month and year.

We discussed this on the CBCA Boards recently. There was certainly a period in the mid-late 70s where DC paperstock was almost tissue thin. It would crease if you looked at it the wrong way.

It's probably a convergence of factors including paperstock and the other factors discussed in this thread.

:hi:

I can think of 2 DC bronze comics off the top of my head. HOS 92 and Green Lantern 76.

(thumbs u DC Horror is so hard to find in high grade.

Certain issues yes...but this is proving more difficult to prove as time goes by and the submissions rise.

WWT 5, WH 4, HOS 81, HOM 175, HOM 179, HOM 205 (and until very recently HOM 190) are a few of the difficult ones to find.

Some of the more ecclectic Charlton horror titles are tough...Gold Keys were more so until File Copies were uncovered.

Some horror are simply tough to find because no one has bothered to submit them, due to lack of financial incentive to do so.

If anyone has any thoughts relating to this topic, please share. :)

I remember as a kid in the late 1970`s DC Comics were considered a notch above Archie Comics(which I love). The going rate was 5 DC`s for 1 Marvel in trade back then and this was right after the Superman Christopher Reeve movie came out,I was a so-so DC FAN but my fellow classmates downright called them junk but of course it all changed a few years later with Perez/Wolfman`s Teen Titans. so yeah as you alluded to RockMyAmadeus the DC `s are harder to find supply then the Marvel`s in highgrade but the Marvel demand is beyond double of the DC`s. 2c

My experience in buying OO collections with unread multiples has been that even in the late 60s through 70s Marvels tend to survive in better shape than DCs. I have suspected that there is a bit of a difference in the cover stock between the two since in the collections I have found that were stored in the exact same way the DCs had more damage than the Marvels from the same month and year.

We discussed this on the CBCA Boards recently. There was certainly a period in the mid-late 70s where DC paperstock was almost tissue thin. It would crease if you looked at it the wrong way.

It's probably a convergence of factors including paperstock and the other factors discussed in this thread.

:hi:

Which creates a fascinating counterpoint to the quality of cover stock and paper that DC used in the late 50's/early 60's which is far, far superior to that Marvel/Atlas was using during that same period. Just a side by side comparison will demonstrate that (that is, put a Kid Colt #58 next to a Superman #122, and the difference is pretty obvious.)

In fact, outside of independent books that had "non-standard" print runs, 9 of the 10 most valuable regular 9.8 comic books from the 1980's are MARVELS:

Daredevil #168 - $744

Star Wars #107 - $665

Amazing Spiderman #300 - $648

GI Joe #21 - $521

X-Men #129 - $459

Amazing Spiderman #238 - $443

Star Wars #68 - $400 (last sale 10/09)

X-Men #130 - $313

Incredible Hulk #345 - $283 (last sale 7/09)

Amazing Spiderman #301 - $275 (last sale 12/09)

Green Lantern #141 - $246 (last sale 7/09)

X-Men #131 - $231

Justice League #3 Variant - $237 (last sale 5/09)

Source: GPA 90 day averages

I take it back...as noted above, the Top 10 most valuable 1980's 9.8 books are, in fact, ALL Marvels. I forgot Amazing Spidey #238.

Sorry, GL #141. ;)