• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Highest graded cgc Action # 1 comming to Comicconnect.

206 posts in this topic

Yeah, if it werent for the staples I would give in a clean 9.2. and thats at least.

CGC will give books with rusted staples grades up to at least 9.2, possibly higher, so we can't say much until we know what defects are present on the book.

I actually am pleasantly surprised that they decided to sell the book in the old label, instead of having it reslabbed to lose the rusted staples comment. For many, the page quality bump would make for a good enough excuse.

I know the scan we saw had the old label, but was that from ComicConnect? Do we know if they plan on having it reholdered?

Yeah, if it werent for the staples I would give in a clean 9.2. and thats at least.

CGC will give books with rusted staples grades up to at least 9.2, possibly higher, so we can't say much until we know what defects are present on the book.

I actually am pleasantly surprised that they decided to sell the book in the old label, instead of having it reslabbed to lose the rusted staples comment. For many, the page quality bump would make for a good enough excuse.

I know the scan we saw had the old label, but was that from ComicConnect? Do we know if they plan on having it reholdered?

The scan that Action1Kid posted is the one that Steve sent out today.

I wonder if the buyer of the CGC 8.0 copy is kicking himself for not waiting for a CGC 8.5 copy :tonofbricks:
I don't think so...this copy will no doubt be at least 50% higher in price, and while it is the highest cgc graded copy, it is technically on .5 higher and not a pedigree...the KC buyer might even be ecstatic about it, as it might raise the "value" of his/her copy hm

Well I must say comic connect loves the action 1's. They have probably sold more than all of the other auction houses combined. I think the question is will it eclipse the record sale last month of the 8.0.

Is there anyone else out there who is willing to pay over seven figures for it?

My guess is there are MANY folks willing to pay upwards of 1.5 to 2mil for it hm

Well I must say comic connect loves the action 1's. They have probably sold more than all of the other auction houses combined. I think the question is will it eclipse the record sale last month of the 8.0.

It will and has already beatin the Tec 27 former record.

So the seller took a cash advance from Metro rather than waiting himself to see what it would garner at auction?

Why?

He sold it to them for more than 1.075M, wouldn't you?

No

I can see both points... 1) if you are truly the consumate action 1 fan, then you would want to have "the best" cgc'd copy, and you might not be motivated to sell... but 2) the individual(s) that owned this copy, might have bought it for investment purposes, and therefore, selling for 1.25mil (or whatever the number is) relative to their $137Kish purchase price in 1993, might be very happy to have sold it...

Old label means 2001-2003 submittal right?

The rust might have progressed into the pages by now?

Ticking time bomb if you ask me.

It should probably be reslabbed as well to get fresh micro chamber paper.

Still... WOW!

Rust doesn't migrate if the comic is removed from the environment that caused the rust initially.

under proper storage conditions, rust migration can virtually be 100% retarded (thumbs u

So for those of us out of the loop is this the second highest grade unrestored copy in existance only behind the Mile High?
as some have mentioned, the highest graded... there is, of course, the Mile High that would very likely grade higher, and there are rumors of copies in and around this condition out there in collector's hands, but nothing I can substantiate

Rust doesn't keep getting worse or migrate if a book is taken out of the environment which led to it in the first place.

All of this rusty staple talk is a lark...high grade books with rusted staples are all over, CGC just doesn't note it on the label anymore like they did back in 2000/2001. They stopped with the label comments a while before they changed label styles because people kept harping on the defects out of context with the overall set of defects, much like you are now.

correct...without chemical application, you cannot remove the rust, but you can person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point the growth any further under proper conditions... but, the existing rust (whatever level is it) will remain there indefinitely unless acted upon by an outside agent (to remove, etc)

Has anyone seen this book in person? How rusty are we talking about? Spotty? Completely rusted? If this book were cracked out and flipped through, anyone think that would be a problem considering the staples?

I'm pretty sure nobody here knows how rusty the staples are since they're on the back cover...which is why it's particularly stupid to keep harping on it. :screwy:

I've seen the "rusted staples" comment on books with VERY light rust, so light that 80% of people wouldn't notice if CGC hadn't pointed it out on the label. Having said that, the staples could be highly rusty with significant migration to the cover...who knows, probably only Fishler right now. (shrug)

I think Gator has seen the book in person. Maybe he can weigh in. Or maybe Fishler can put up a back cover scan when trying to sell a $1MIL+ book. Nah, who am I kidding :insane:

keep in mind I inspected and held and oogled over this book in 1993 at the SDCC PCE booth... almost 18 years ago, but I made nor recall any mental note and have no recollection of any rust, so there wasn't enough there to make any impression on me

Still... WOW!

totally agree

im not a biochemist but i would have thought the rust will spread and eventually start to decompose the paper??!!

can anyone verify this?

beautiful book EXCEPT for the rust

i think this will kill the sale and price

Still... WOW!

totally agree

im not a biochemist but i would have thought the rust will spread and eventually start to decompose the paper??!!

can anyone verify this?

beautiful book EXCEPT for the rust

i think this will kill the sale and price

Many of our esteemed colleagues here have already reported that under proper conditions, the rust migration can virtually be stopped dead in its tracks...............forever. Given continued, proper storage conditions.

i doubt this book will sell

it wont meet reserve

at this point i dont know if there are any new buyers/investors out there

maybe jerry seinfeld or di caprio or shaquille oneal may buy it, who knows?

1)this book will sell, I guarantee it, because I would find a way to buy it if no one else did

2)there will be no reserve, it will have an asking price, and an offer option

3)I know several folks that will take keen interest in this book, and there are no doubt MANY more

4)the only think I doubt is that jerry, leo or saq will buy

(thumbs u

i doubt this book will sell

it wont meet reserve

It's going to sold in a fixed price listing just like the Action 1 8.0

A, I tried to respond too, then cut it short and decided to give up, but at some point, the uninformed will remain uninformed (thumbs u

My guess is there are MANY folks willing to pay upwards of 1.5 to 2mil for it hm

Really? Considering the initial surprise over the 8.0 selling for $1m I'm surprised that you're certain (not doubting you, just surprised) that there would be people willing to pay maybe twice the 8.0

--jeez that's an amazing spread between an 8.0 and a 8.5!

Really? Considering the initial surprise over the 8.0 selling for $1m I'm surprised that you're certain (not doubting you, just surprised) that there would be people willing to pay maybe twice the 8.0

--jeez that's an amazing spread between an 8.0 and a 8.5!

Established price point + highest graded = all bets are off.

So if it's not the rusty staples, what's keeping this down at 8.5? It's beautiful, and given the GA bump I've seen elsewhere this should be graded higher, no?

I'm totally asking my mom to buy it for me.