• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hellboy all the way
3 3

245 posts in this topic

What other books have this characteristic?

Being able to grab a CGC 9.6 for under $80 seems like an absolute steal if people are willingly paying $50 for a raw 9.2.

You may not be familiar with the comic, but Archer & Armstrong 0 Gold. :baiting:

I've watched CGC 9.2's sell for low prices, but then if someone posts a raw guaranteed 9.4, the bidding goes crazy.

What other books have this characteristic?

Being able to grab a CGC 9.6 for under $80 seems like an absolute steal if people are willingly paying $50 for a raw 9.2.

You may not be familiar with the comic, but Archer & Armstrong 0 Gold. :baiting:

I've watched CGC 9.2's sell for low prices, but then if someone posts a raw guaranteed 9.4, the bidding goes crazy.

I haven't noticed that happening on Archer & Armstrong #0 Gold.

I have noticed something similar, though...

there is a strange effect in raw books that people buying raw on Ebay BELIEVE they might get a 9.6 or a 9.8

buying a raw book, even though it's only a remote possibility... and they pay extra to gamble.

Once a book is in a CGC 9.2 slab, there is no "gamble factor" and the price being paid goes down,

even though some of those "raw 9.4" books selling for more money are probably closer to being 8.0 than 9.8.

People who avoid CGC altogether tend to convince themselves that their raw books are "just as good", however,

I'm sure many would be surprised (and very disappointed) to know what portion of those "Ebay NM+" books they bought are under 9.2.

Unfortunately, I went through it last year trying to find a second high-grade copy to go with my OO that was sent to me years ago by Valiant.

Twice CGC 9.2's were posted, with one being a Qualified Label example (believe it was signed by Shooter). They sold in the $30 range.

But four times over the year supposed high-grade raws were posted, and the bidding went crazy. I won two of those books, and one was a 9.0 at best, the second was a solid 9.6/9.8 and the seller shipped in an envelope with two pieces of backing board for protection. Guess what didn't arrive in the same shape?

:(

Unfortunately, I went through it last year trying to find a second high-grade copy to go with my OO that was sent to me years ago by Valiant.

Twice CGC 9.2's were posted, with one being a Qualified Label example (believe it was signed by Shooter). They sold in the $30 range.

But four times over the year supposed high-grade raws were posted, and the bidding went crazy. I won two of those books, and one was a 9.0 at best, the second was a solid 9.6/9.8 and the seller shipped in an envelope with two pieces of backing board for protection. Guess what didn't arrive in the same shape?

:(

Sorry to hear that the gambles didn't pay off... :sorry:

Incase you haven't seen this...or had a chance to read it

Early Hellboy from May 1994. Came out during the Seed of Destruction line. It's a 4 page B&W story featuring The Head of Von Klempt as the villain. It was a 1-wrap 6 1/2 X 10 insert from Comics Buyers Guide #1070.

Too bad it can't be slabbed. Would be a great addition to the Hellboy (1993-1994) registry set.

Click on link to read large version

6865952740_6989cbc4de.jpg

I stopped reading Hellboy, but I used to be a great fan of the series.

I just got a little annoyed by the proliferation of spin-off characters (and mini-series) and less and less Mignola working on them (since he was involved in the making of the Hellboy movies).

Besides this, I felt a little slip on focus in his writing, but I still consider some backup artists' characters amazing work (e.g. Gary Gianni's The Monstermen), and I keep my collection (although I don’t recall if I have the first appearance: is that a Next Men issue?). :)

Another early Hellboy appearance from October 1994 which includes a one-page panel with a partial origin. This should probably be included in the Hellboy (1993-1994) registry set... hm

7086002875_da7a8fd651_c.jpg

Picture of little-Hellboy look familiar? (movie)

6939931088_ba271e9129_b.jpg

Another early Hellboy appearance from October 1994 which includes a one-page panel with a partial origin. This should probably be included in the Hellboy (1993-1994) registry set... hm

7086002875_da7a8fd651_c.jpg

Picture of little-Hellboy look familiar? (movie)

6939931088_ba271e9129_b.jpg

Very cool!! I didn't know about this one.

That's the supplement that was in Previews, right? Neat item - I'm not even sure I own a copy :cry:

Sure is. It's a pretty cool little book.

From Hellboy's Wiki page...

"Celebrate Diversity

Hi, My Name is Hellboy by Mike Mignola was a one-page panel ad that related the characters fictional origins. It was published by Diamond Comic Distributors in catalog supplement Celebrate Diversity collector's edition (October 1994).[12] The ad was collected in the trade paperback The Art of Hellboy."