• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wait... the Church Flash 1 just sold for $450k?

134 posts in this topic

So a top 3 book/key of all-time in 9.8 is going to only command, what $1.0M? No chance in hell.

Did not say that at all, nor am I implying it (even based on all the actual sales evidence of what high-grade Marvel #1s bring).

All I am saying is that the price it would bring would be less than the Church Action #1 and Allentown Tec #27, and the price that the top condition copy of Superman #1 would bring might be comparable.

I hope Veryzl slabbs the Church MC#1 and gets $3M+ for it and then we can watch the MC#1 haters scramble for cover. Lets face it if its really a 9.8 it won't be a stretch to suggest that it would sell for more than the Church Action #1.

This might be the funniest thing I've read all month.

I agree with Tim that it would be a distant 3rd at best, as most likely the nicest Superman #1 would also be a strong challenger for the #3 spot.

I don't have a problem thinking it could be a 9.8 though - John Snyder told me last year that the Marvel #1-10 was the nicest condition 1-10 run of any of the key titles (and since he had them all he should know). but 9.8, 9.6, 9.4, or even 9.9 it ain't beating the big two in price.

So a top 3 book/key of all-time in 9.8 is going to only command, what $1.0M? No chance in hell.

Not sayin that! Not sayin it cant do a mill, what is being said is it cant top a 9.2 Action 1 or a 9.6 Tec 27 and I whole hearted agree!

The Tec I would agree with, its just too high a grade to ignore.

Did not say that at all, nor am I implying it (even based on all the actual sales evidence of what high-grade Marvel #1s bring).

All I am saying is that the price it would bring would be less than the Church Action #1 and Allentown Tec #27, and the price that the top condition copy of Superman #1 would bring might be comparable.

I understood and reiterated it. Totally agree.

How are people trying to extrapolate that a Marvel #1, regardless of the grade, could come close to the highest graded copies of Action #1 and Tec #27 when a 9.0 Pedigree copy sells for 1/5 the price of 8.0s of both books ?

Also whether the Marvel #1 Church grades at 9.6 or 9.8 does it really matter as a price point ? Its the nicest copy in existance.

How are people trying to extrapolate that a Marvel #1, regardless of the grade, could come close to the highest graded copies of Action #1 and Tec #27 when a 9.0 Pedigree copy sells for 1/5 the price of 8.0s of both books ?

Also whether the Marvel #1 Church grades at 9.6 or 9.8 does it really matter as a price point ? Its the nicest copy in existance.

I hear ya !

Well what's the Church Action worth, double the recent sale of $1.0M, who knows? Personally I think that ($2m) would be a minimum starting point for the MC#1.

Marvel #1 is going to see further separation from the big two DC books for the simple reason that it did not introduce a significant character to collectors today. As a result, I would not be surprised to see the top copy of AF #15 eventually surpassing the top copy of Marvel #1 value.

my "guess" is similar to others...

the best of the best would be:

action 1

detective 27

superman 1

marvel 1

maybe batman 1 next (shrug)

AGREED.

Yep. The MH Batman #1 might very well be a million dollar book now also (as weird as that sounds to say).

Well what's the Church Action worth, double the recent sale of $1.0M, who knows? Personally I think that ($2m) would be a minimum starting point for the MC#1.

Hasn't the Dentist already turned down offers at that or higher levels already for the Action #1?

I would say $2M is a generous starting point for the MC #1 right now. As mentioned above, Supes #1 is probably a better comparison since neither book has a key 1st appearance.

Marvel #1 is going to see further separation from the big two DC books for the simple reason that it did not introduce a significant character to collectors today. As a result, I would not be surprised to see the top copy of AF #15 eventually surpassing the top copy of Marvel #1 value.

You beat me to sayin the same exact paragraph/

my "guess" is similar to others...

the best of the best would be:

action 1

detective 27

superman 1

marvel 1

maybe batman 1 next (shrug)

AGREED.

Yep. The MH Batman #1 might very well be a million dollar book now also (as weird as that sounds to say).

Thats one of the MH books with colortouch[sorry] even though not graded.

Hasn't the Dentist already turned down offers at that or higher levels already for the Action #1?

I would say $2M is a generous starting point for the MC #1 right now. As mentioned above, Supes #1 is probably a better comparison since neither book has a key 1st appearance.

Well I believe someone said that Verzyl wouldn't take $2M for the AA#16 when the rumoured $1M sale first broke. I don't think he would sell the MC#1 for less. Previous sales for lesser copies really don't mean much if we are talking about a gap from 9.0 to a 9.8.

Well I believe someone said that Verzyl wouldn't take $2M for the AA#16 when the rumoured $1M sale first broke. I don't think he would sell the MC#1 for less. Previous sales for lesser copies really don't mean much if we are talking about a gap from 9.0 to a 9.8.

Just because he wants 2 mil for a book doesn't mean it worth 2 mill.

Personally I would Rather have a Marvel #1 over a Superman #1.

Bruce

my "guess" is that john would and could find a buyer in the 2 mil range for the Marvel 1, but, as SS said, I think he would want 3+

Right now he would probably want to consider the AA #16 decision. I can't see it hitting $2M for a while now. MC #1 would hit that level well before AA #16.

Right now he would probably want to consider the AA #16 decision.

I don't know, with all these big dollar sales it can only help and the longer he waits the more expensive/valuable it will get (unless other high grade copies surface).

I hope Veryzl slabbs the Church MC#1 and gets $3M+ for it and then we can watch the MC#1 haters scramble for cover. Lets face it if its really a 9.8 it won't be a stretch to suggest that it would sell for more than the Church Action #1.

This might be the funniest thing I've read all month.

I agree with Tim that it would be a distant 3rd at best, as most likely the nicest Superman #1 would also be a strong challenger for the #3 spot.

I always forget about the best Superman #1. Is it from a pedigree?

Maybe even the best Batman #1 would place above the best MC #1.