• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flee-Marquette's MEGACON report w/ pics, video, music, wildlife,etc.

163 posts in this topic

Once again Megacon rolls into town and I am not prepared. I wanted to be there on

Friday but was too busy, plus it was raining cats and dogs. The storm front moved through

overnight and it was nice Saturday morning for the trip over to Orlando. When we got

to International Drive the traffic was backed up and moving sloooooooow.

megacon1-traffic.jpg

The con was held in the older West Hall and there was no parking on that side. :cry:

megacon2-parking.jpg

That place brings back some memories :cloud9:

The Convention Center, not the concourse or the gas station.

Once again the lines to get in were long if you bought your tickets in advance. I walked up

and bought our tickets at the door within minutes and went right in. You save a couple of

bucks by buying in advance but have to wait for an hour to get in. (shrug)

megacon6-tickets.jpg

The con was held in the older West Hall and there was no parking on that side. :cry:

megacon2-parking.jpg

I was able to breeze my way in Saturday morning and park in the lot behind the loading docks. 20 minutes later their was a line of traffic that took 45 minutes to get through. It filled up that fast.

Megacon on a Saturday is a people-watcher's paradise. So many colors and sounds that it

can be a bit overwhelming. There was a cheerleaders contest in the next hall and I saw

a few Moms hurrying their little ones past the guys wearing skimpy anime dresses. There

was also a Tony Robbins motivational speaking event in another hall and those attendees

also seemed a bit confused as to what was going on. This year it seemed to me that more

con-goers were dressed as superheroes than ever before. I think that is a good sign. (thumbs u

megacon7-costumes.jpg

There was plenty for fan-boys to be happy about. Not sure who she was supposed to be. hm

She carried a big hammer that said POW!

megacon8-girl.jpg

The entrances, as well as the aisles that had mostly manga and anime were packed so tight

that you got caught up in the flow like fish heading downstream. The comic aisles were a little

lighter and is where I spent most of my time.

Here is Doc Watson eating his lunch in Bedrocks booth.

megacon9-doc-ramen.jpg

It was actually a plastic sculpture of some Japanese Ramen noodles. In Japan the restaurants

have a display of all their dishes that they serve in a window outside. They are very realistic

and I have been looking for some for a long time and my wife found them there at the show. :luhv:

megacon-noodles.jpg

When the noodles were in Bedrock's booth he put it next to Gator's Action 1 comic to take

a picture. People were stopping to take a picture of the noodles and not the Action 1. doh!

It kind of sums up the show really, the majority of the attendees are there for a pop culture

event and not for comics.

megacon10-action-ramen.jpg

Richard has a great picture of this exact moment from another angle and hopefully

he will share it soon. :insane:lol

Once again the lines to get in were long if you bought your tickets in advance. I walked up

and bought our tickets at the door within minutes and went right in. You save a couple of

bucks by buying in advance but have to wait for an hour to get in. (shrug)

megacon6-tickets.jpg

seems like an azz backwards way of doing things.

There was plenty for fan-boys to be happy about. Not sure who she was supposed to be. hm

megacon8-girl.jpg

The entrances, as well as the aisles that had mostly manga and anime were packed so tight

that you got caught up in the flow like fish heading downstream. The comic aisles were a little

no surprise you couldn't hold the camera steady for her. (thumbs u

megacon8-girl.jpg

Thats the girl from the Order I believe. mulholland. Could be one of those anime people no one here knows.

I don't have the opportunity to go to many shows, so I always look forward to Megacon

to say HI to boardies and see some incredible comics. There was an oasis

on the south side of the hall with Gator, Bedrock, McMiles, and Dale within

an arm's length of each other. There were definitely some heavy-weight GA books

there that I had never seen before in person. :cloud9: I spent most of my time

in this area chatting with Doc Watson and Richard, but in my wandering around I

ran into lookwhoitis, Joeypost, Theagenes, gcstomp, Tupenny!, KingofRulers,

Jiveturkey, Darth Corgi, Brent, and met for the first time BlindOwl, John Verzyl,

and of course Roy and Louise. I wasn't introduced but from looking at the

Megacon pictures posted I saw Sardo Numspar and I believe Trey Cannon.

megacon8-girl.jpg

I had to do it quickly, my wife was giving me the look. :blush: