• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage seller's fees?

30 posts in this topic

wow 29% seems like a whole heck of alot.

They make a killing.

Wow! I thought just the buyer pays a fee and the seller pockets 100% of the sale price. Given this, I don't think I would ever sell through HA.com.

First off, that's Heritage's "list price", as it were, so depending on the books you might be able to get a better deal.

Second, you have to look at the big picture. For example, let's use Comiclink as the basis of comparison for who you'd want to sell through. Comiclink's seller's commission is 10%. If Heritage gives its fairly standard discount on seller's commission to knock it down to 7.5%, then roughly speaking the total commission you would pay to Heritage is 26.5%. So then the question is would the book sell for at least 16.5% higher on Heritage than it would on Comiclink. If it would, then you're better off selling on Heritage despite the higher commission. If it wouldn't, then you're better off with Comiclink.

This is why I would never sell SA or BA Marvels on Heritage, because you don't get any edge in selling on Heritage compared to other sites.

Assuming a book sells for $100 and the seller's commission is 7.5% and the BP is 19.5% then Heritage takes in $119.5 and sends $92.5 to the seller, making it a total commission of 22.6%. If the seller chose a straight 10% commission site, then they would need the book to sell for $102.78 in order to receive the same amount.

Therefore, you need to think that Heritage will get you at least 16% more from its bidders than the competition if you are choosing solely on price.

They make a killing.

They definitely are expensive compared to the online only sites like clink, cconnect etc. but I don't think they make a killing in comics. Heritage offers printed catalogs, an excellent pool of bidders, heavy promotion, previewing of material as well as live bidding that is integrated with phone, internet and absentee bidding processes. Whether that extra expense results in high enough bids for it to be worthwhile to a consignor is certainly debatable given the excellent result some of the other sites have produced for certain categories of comics and art.

Agree. Even with all of this marketing, results are spotty but there may be a lot of variables at play. Here are some of my sales results (2009). Given the exposure that I expected, I was disappointed with the overall results of my sales. I would say that 70 percent of my sales netted me less than my cost.

For example

Superboy #1 CGC 2.0 gross $717, guide $833, 76 page views

Plastic Man #4 CGC 9.0 gross $507.88, guide $922, 71 page views

Boy Commandos #14 CGC 9.2 Crowley gross $262.90, guide $400 , 81 page views

World's Finest #16 CGC 8.5 gross $597.50, guide $851 for 8.0, 48 page views

All-American #16 CGC 8.0 (ext restored). $8,366.20, guide $12,000 for unrestored good, views 437, 13 bids

All-Star #8 CGC 8.5 (ext restored) gross $2,868, guide $3,333 unrestored good, views 200 views, 12 bids.

Needless to say, net take home was much less. They advertise 86,000 plus comic bidder members so I was expecting better results.

I agree with you on these 2...I won them both with just my "tracking " bids...

already sold the AA 16 for 20% more than we paid for it from heritage on ebay (just a quick "flip" ) and I had a 3500 offer on the as 8, but the guys CC declined :cry:

They make a killing.

They definitely are expensive compared to the online only sites like clink, cconnect etc. but I don't think they make a killing in comics. Heritage offers printed catalogs, an excellent pool of bidders, heavy promotion, previewing of material as well as live bidding that is integrated with phone, internet and absentee bidding processes. Whether that extra expense results in high enough bids for it to be worthwhile to a consignor is certainly debatable given the excellent result some of the other sites have produced for certain categories of comics and art.

Agree. Even with all of this marketing, results are spotty but there may be a lot of variables at play. Here are some of my sales results (2009). Given the exposure that I expected, I was disappointed with the overall results of my sales. I would say that 70 percent of my sales netted me less than my cost.

For example

All-American #16 CGC 8.0 (ext restored). $8,366.20, guide $12,000 for unrestored good, views 437, 13 bids

All-Star #8 CGC 8.5 (ext restored) gross $2,868, guide $3,333 unrestored good, views 200 views, 12 bids.

Needless to say, net take home was much less. They advertise 86,000 plus comic bidder members so I was expecting better results.

already sold the AA 16 for 20% more than we paid for it from heritage on ebay (just a quick "flip" ) and I had a 3500 offer on the as 8, but the guys CC declined :cry:

8300 bucks is not a tracking bid. It's a shoot to kill. :makepoint:

They make a killing.

For example

8300 bucks is not a tracking bid. It's a shoot to kill. :makepoint:

:acclaim:

They make a killing.

Wow! I thought just the buyer pays a fee and the seller pockets 100% of the sale price. Given this, I don't think I would ever sell through HA.com.

First off, that's Heritage's "list price", as it were, so depending on the books you might be able to get a better deal.

Second, you have to look at the big picture. For example, let's use Comiclink as the basis of comparison for who you'd want to sell through. Comiclink's seller's commission is 10%. If Heritage gives its fairly standard discount on seller's commission to knock it down to 7.5%, then roughly speaking the total commission you would pay to Heritage is 26.5%. So then the question is would the book sell for at least 16.5% higher on Heritage than it would on Comiclink. If it would, then you're better off selling on Heritage despite the higher commission. If it wouldn't, then you're better off with Comiclink.

This is why I would never sell SA or BA Marvels on Heritage, because you don't get any edge in selling on Heritage compared to other sites.

Assuming a book sells for $100 and the seller's commission is 7.5% and the BP is 19.5% then Heritage takes in $119.5 and sends $92.5 to the seller, making it a total commission of 22.6%. If the seller chose a straight 10% commission site, then they would need the book to sell for $102.78 in order to receive the same amount.

Therefore, you need to think that Heritage will get you at least 16% more from its bidders than the competition if you are choosing solely on price.

yeah, I was too lazy to do the exact mathematical calculations.

Seriously, Congratulations. (thumbs u

I just don't seem to have the touch to make any money off of my collection. The good news is I still have 5000 plus books that I can take with me to the grave since my kids show no interest in the hobby.

I just don't seem to have the touch to make any money off of my collection. The good news is I still have 5000 plus books that I can take with me to the grave since my kids show no interest in the hobby.

feel free to offer books directly to me, and save the heritage vig (thumbs u

I wonder how many NY bidders have gone elsewhere since they began charging NY sales tax? I hardly even look at their auctions anymore because of the high BP and tax. :shrug:

The fact that C-Link is no longer charging NY sales tax must have boosted their amount of bidders 2c

A little welding on those slabs, and you can go down in the coolest coffin ever.

A little welding on those slabs, and you can go down in the coolest coffin ever.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

:roflmao:

There is one book in my collection that just might go in with me. That or I will burn it before I die....