• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 DC Coppers

37 posts in this topic

To specifically define "Top Ten" would just take the fun out of it.

Rick

Well, sure, but then it becomes a pointless exercise, with each person listing their personal favorites....

Hi RMA! I'm a typical CGC "list"... nice to meet you. :hi:

Rick

hm

What's a "typical CGC list"...?

Surprised no one answered this for me.

OK, how bout "Your Favorite" blah blah blah... or "The Best" blah blah blah... or "Top Ten/Twenty/315" blah blah blah... or "Most Important/Influential/Defining Moment/Game-Changing Event" blah blah blah... that's enough for now.

And don't start up with 'some are more specific than others' cuz every list ends up about personal favorites regardless of whatever guidelines are offered.

But that doesn't stop them from being fun!

Now what do ya say we start a poll: best posts that talk about lists?!

Rick

And don't start up with 'some are more specific than others' cuz every list ends up about personal favorites regardless of whatever guidelines are offered.

I don't agree. There are enough intelligent people around here who can objectively discuss topics within given parameters, especially when there's hard data to back it up, that it doesn't need to devolve into "well, this is my list because I say so" situations.

If you ask me what are the most valuable books, I can start with GPA sales data and work from there.

If you ask me what are the most influential books, they will certainly include books that I thought were terrible, and certainly not among my favorites, but which nevertheless had a tremendous impact on the industy (Superman #75, for example, or Death in the Family, which is about as badly written as Starlin ever got.)

Not too difficult.

If the list is most influential:

DC Comics Presents 26

New Teen Titans 1

Watchmen 1-12 (entire story arc)

Swamp Thing 21

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns 1-4 (entire story arc)

Man of Steel (Byrne) 1-6 (entire story arc)

Swamp Thing 37

Batman 426-429 (as a single story arc)

Entire "Death of Superman" story arc

Sandman 1

DC Comics Presents 26

New Teen Titans 1

Swamp Thing 21

Swamp Thing 37

Sandman 1

I would place Batman #404-407 in the list over Swamp Thing #37, though, and Crisis on Infinite Earths is missing.

Killing Joke, New Teen Titans 1 (I know it's not the first appearance, but the DC Comics Presents 26 would have been nothing without the amazing first two years of this series), if 1990 still counts I'd go with Green Lantern: Emerald Dawn # 1.

Conversely, the first two years of Teen Titans never would have happened without DC Comcis Presents 26.

DC Comics Presents 26

New Teen Titans 1

Swamp Thing 21

Swamp Thing 37

Sandman 1

I would place Batman #404-407 in the list over Swamp Thing #37, though, and Crisis on Infinite Earths is missing.

No problem with Batman 404-407 joining, although Constantine did have a 200+ issue series AND a movie. Crisis should be on, would probably take DC Presents 26 off.

Flash #347-350

NTT #1-judas contract

Dark Knight Returns #1-4

Batman Year One

Watchmen 1-12

Ronin 1-6

Crisis 7

Green Arrow Longbow Hunters 1-3

Batman Gotham by Gaslight (first elseworld)

V for Vendetta #1

OK, so the thread heading should now include the word "influential" in it. More specific. Good.

Now how about deciding between story arcs vs single issues? Or would that take too much fun out?

BTW, I'll support FDs list, though I'd definitely replace NTT #1 -redundant- with COIE #1 (if not the whole series).

Glad this thread got revived.

Rick