• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 DC Coppers

37 posts in this topic

Killing Joke, New Teen Titans 1 (I know it's not the first appearance, but the DC Comics Presents 26 would have been nothing without the amazing first two years of this series), if 1990 still counts I'd go with Green Lantern: Emerald Dawn # 1.

Batman 404-407

Watchmen 1-12

Dark Knight Returns 1-4

Wonder Woman 1-20

The Killing Joke

Sandman 1-8

New Teen Titans 1-20

Green Arrow - The Longbow Hunters 1-3

Swamp Thing 20-63

Each of the above as a unit, not individual issues... the copper age was when the story arc became significant, not just a single issue...

To specifically define "Top Ten" would just take the fun out of it.

I'll add Crisis On Infinite Earths #1...or #7...or #8...?

Rick

Well, sure, but then it becomes a pointless exercise, with each person listing their personal favorites....

;)

Top 10 DC Coppers:

James Gordon

Jim Corrigan

Jim Harper

Harvey Bullock

Renee Montoya

That cop from Detective #576

That other cop from Batman #214

Oh, wait...wrong coppers...

Nevermind.

I was a Batman fan but not much else from DC at the time. And OGN's were off the table for me. I remember when The Killing Joke came out. I wanted it but it was too much money :sorry:

I think The Dark Knight Returns may have been a little before my time.

So with my limited experience with DC copper I will say that the Death In The Family arc should be on the list. I also really liked the Dark Knight, Dark City arc as well.

Here are a few more.

DC Comics Presents #26 (1st New Teen Titans)

DC Comics Presents #47 (1st He-Man)

New Teen Titans #1

Superman #75 ("Death of Superman)

Tales of Teen Titans #44 (1st Nightwing)

Green Lantern #141 (1st Omega Men)

Honoruable Mention

Justice League #1 (1st Maxwell Lord)

Superman: Man of Steel #1

Superman: Man of Steel #17/18 (1st Doomsday)

Here are a few more.

New Teen Titans #1

Superman #75 ("Death of Superman) Tales of Teen Titans #44 (1st Nightwing)

Honoruable Mention

In the grand scheme of things SUPERMAN #75 might not be worth much but it will go down as one of the most important/influential books of all time, good or bad.

Here are a few more.

New Teen Titans #1

Honoruable Mention

In the grand scheme of things SUPERMAN #75 might not be worth much but it will go down as one of the most important/influential books of all time, good or bad.

I actually didn't read Superman 75 until about ten years after it came out. Because the book was next to impossible to get locally the week it came out and the week later it was marked really high.

I didn't think the story was that bad though.

Yeah, i vividly remember the day it came out, along with Bloodshot #1 lol . That weekend, Supes #75 was a $20 book at local shows, Bloodshot#1 was $5. What a time to be a dealer :grin:

Superman #75 was terrible. Just awful.

Mike Gold, circa 1991 DC Summit: "What should we do next year to really shake up Supes?"

Dan Jurgens: "I know! Let's KILL HIM!!!"

MG: "Hmmm...interesting..tell me more."

DJ: "Well, I'll introduce this cool looking alien, but without using logic, having no backstory, and absolutely no reason to exist, other than to whallop Supes! I won't explain what it is, where it's from, or why it's beating on Supes...you know, to be different from all those OTHER stories which employ plot and dialogue to explain what's going on in a way that makes sense."

MG: "Go on..."

DJ: "Ok, watch this...I'll tell the story over 6 issues, and each issue will have consecutively fewer panels on each page, which will also make no sense, but will reduce my workload substantially! So, Man of Steel #18 will have 6 panels, but by Superman #75, it'll be nothing but full page splashes of Supes getting beat down by this character with absolutely no reason to exist, other than to kill Supes! That way, when I need money, I can sell those full splash pages for $$$!"

MG: "BRILLIANT! Let's go with it!"

:eyeroll:

Here are a few more.

New Teen Titans #1

Honoruable Mention

I actually didn't read Superman 75 until about ten years after it came out. Because the book was next to impossible to get locally the week it came out and the week later it was marked really high.

I didn't think the story was that bad though.

Important because it sold millions of books :) but later on had a lot to do with all them greedy spectulators who almost took down our hobby :(