• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman # 1 Blue label 9.0 to be auctioned on ComicLink again.

542 posts in this topic

Just saw it today ! This is the copy that sold for 280k a while back on Clink.

Would imagin the record sales of late are an ingrediant that brought this book out.

http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?id=840930

Very exciting news. The gravy train keeps on rolling. It seems every high grade key and its grandmother are coming to auction. Batman 1 CGC 9.0 (thumbs u

Both have their periods...

I mean both have the red spotting...

I mean, both are "period pieces"...

I mean, both are "No .1" versions.

Can someone reiterate the diff between the "No. 1" and "No 1" versions?

One has a "." before the 1, the other doesn't.

Batman 1 had multiple printings during its few months on the stands. At least two.

As far as I know the No 1 is "rarer" and was the first print. And the No. 1 was a "second printing" during what we still call its "first run" - both books are regarded the same in price currently. But to me I feel the No 1 is more special. Prices are the same though again currently.

Batman 1 had multiple printings during its few months on the stands. At least two.

As far as I know the No 1 is "rarer" and was the first print. And the No. 1 was a "second printing" during what we still call its "first run" - both books are regarded the same in price currently. But to me I feel the No 1 is more special. Prices are the same though again currently.

Any evidence to show that this was indeed the case? I recall something about looking at ads promoting it as being on sale, but didn't think anything conclusive was reached.

Any evidence to show that this was indeed the case? I recall something about looking at ads promoting it as being on sale, but didn't think anything conclusive was reached.

I believe you're thinking of Superman #1 as far as the ads go. I don't know of any differences to the interior of the period and non-period Batman #1s.

No hard evidence at all in the sense of different interior elements. Just speculation as far as I know from supposed "people in the know" and what I have heard over the years. Board member "blupchip" is a good person to ask. But the difference of the No 1 and No. 1 copies seems proof enough that there had to be at least two separate printings. No 1 was a much smaller print (possible even in house?) while the No. 1 was the larger and or more mass scale print.

you will also note the erased "s" on the front cover... I seem to recall this book years ago in a 9.0 holder (old label)... so again, I am not questioning brent saying it was a 8.0 pressed to a 9.0, just would have had to of been done before it was graded 12/09/2003...

The one Josh sold was an 8.0.

the last 8.0 that josh sold last year for 100K, was my old 8.0... it too, is NOT this soon to be offered 9.0 copy (mine didn't have any erased "s") so I know that 8.0 was not pressed to "this" 9.0 copy

in fact, I think ciorac will back me up, with the BC the way it was on my old 8.0, I didn't even think it was an 8.0 , hence the reason I sold it..so I doubt it would be pressable to a 9.0 (shrug)

bat18f-3.jpg

The 9.0 that Josh sold used to be an 8.0.

ok, I understand now...totally different book then, than the one coming up in auction, which is the one I thought you were refering to as a pressed from 8.0 to 9.0 (thumbs u

most batman 1's look similar :baiting:

Not where I'm looking, which is at the wrap and the edge cuts. It's very rare for two copies to be wrapped and cut as similarly as these two books are...note the very slight 1/32" amount of the back cover that wraps around to the front on both copies along the lower half only that angles up to be an even wrap once it hits the top. That identical a wrap is uncommon. The only difference is in the cut--one book has about 1/8" more art up top and less art down bottom than the other copy, it was cut very, very slightly higher from the original sheet.

Definitely not the same copies though, even if you presume people sneaking trims past CGC, as you can't both trim the top and add to the bottom. :insane:

No hard evidence at all in the sense of different interior elements. Just speculation as far as I know from supposed "people in the know" and what I have heard over the years. Board member "blupchip" is a good person to ask. But the difference of the No 1 and No. 1 copies seems proof enough that there had to be at least two separate printings. No 1 was a much smaller print (possible even in house?) while the No. 1 was the larger and or more mass scale print.

the initial run of covers was without the "." and was quickly "corrected" during the print run... there is only "one" print run of batman 1 that I am aware of, and it supposedly was just an accidental omission of the "." that was noticed very early on and fixed...

out of all the batman 1's I have owned, 2 didn't have the "." and the other 10+ did

Bob Kane's personal reference copy that he bound into a spiral notebook is a "No 1" version. See here:

http://cgi.befr.ebay.be/Batman-1-2-3-creator-Bob-Kanes-personal-copies-1940_W0QQitemZ220511840259QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item335787a803

most batman 1's look similar :baiting:

Not where I'm looking, which is at the wrap and the edge cuts. It's very rare for two copies to be wrapped and cut as similarly as these two books are...note the very slight 1/32" amount of the back cover that wraps around to the front on both copies along the lower half only that angles up to be an even wrap once it hits the top. That identical a wrap is uncommon. The only difference is in the cut--one book has about 1/8" more art up top and less art down bottom than the other copy, it was cut very, very slightly higher from the original sheet.

Definitely not the same copies though, even if you presume people sneaking trims past CGC, as you can't both trim the top and add to the bottom. :insane:

and you probably wouldn't have wanted to write an "s" on the one copy and then erase, that was the most identifiying difference (other than the little chip on the top middle edge too)...

but, actually, I have noticed that slight miswrap on a lot of copies, but never 2 cgc 9.0's , of course (thumbs u

Bob Kane's personal reference copy that he bound into a spiral notebook is a "No 1" version. See here:

http://cgi.befr.ebay.be/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=220511840259

very likely one of the earliest off the presses (worship)

and you probably wouldn't have wanted to write an "s" on the one copy and then erase, that was the most identifiying difference (other than the little chip on the top middle edge too)...

Where is the erasure? I saw you say that earlier and I looked for it but couldn't spot it

Where is the erasure? I saw you say that earlier and I looked for it but couldn't spot it

Right edge by Batman's cape.