• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman # 1 Blue label 9.0 to be auctioned on ComicLink again.

542 posts in this topic

They've added the Trolley copy of All-American #16...

RADD36C52010319_17125.jpg

:o

:takeit:

that looks like a strong 6.0, doesn't it?

I believe this is the 2nd highest graded copy next to Verzyls M.H. Correct?
(thumbs u

Why is Detroit Trolley not a recognized pedigree notation? Not big enough collection? Not enough GA key issues?

They've added the Trolley copy of All-American #16...

RADD36C52010319_17125.jpg

:o

:takeit:

that looks like a strong 6.0, doesn't it?

I believe this is the 2nd highest graded copy next to Verzyls M.H. Correct?
(thumbs u

Why is Detroit Trolley not a recognized pedigree notation? Not big enough collection? Not enough GA key issues?

I would say so for those reasons and possibly even not a lot of high graded books

From the cover alone that is a VERY STRONG 6.0 and even stronger than that.
peter, what you can't see in the scan is the sub crease...it is faint, but it is there...6.0 is probably accurate...

peter, what you can't see in the scan is the sub crease...it is faint, but it is there...6.0 is probably accurate...

I Admit, I cant see it.

I Admit, I cant see it.

sub creases rarely show in the scans for AA 16's...I have owned like 5 of them, and all have the sub crease, and none of them you can see in the scan (shrug)

Thanks Gator!

Man that is a huge grade spread but to be expected when M.H books are involved.

It is very huge, almost shocking. I used to think (years and years ago) the All-American 16 must be the hardest book ever to find in high grade and possible none existent much higher than a 6.0 - I always knew high grade (VF-NM) Action 1's and Tec 27's existed but thought an AA 16 was most unlikely. And when the 9.4 came out publicly I nearly could not believe it. It is a true gem and beats out the highest (CGC grade that is) Action 1's and Tec 27's.

The AA 16 CGC 9.4 to me is one of the most desirable single copies of a comic (not issue) that I think exist. Would love to see it in person one day.

Thanks Gator!

Man that is a huge grade spread but to be expected when M.H books are involved.

It is very huge, almost shocking. I used to think (years and years ago) the All-American 16 must be the hardest book ever to find in high grade and possible none existent much higher than a 6.0 - I always knew high grade (VF-NM) Action 1's and Tec 27's existed but thought an AA 16 was most unlikely. And when the 9.4 came out publicly I nearly could not believe it. It is a true gem and beats out the highest (CGC grade that is) Action 1's and Tec 27's.

The AA 16 CGC 9.4 to me is one of the most desirable single copies of a comic (not issue) that I think exist. Would love to see it in person one day.

we know of at least 2 other really nice raw AA 16's that are probably in the 8.0 or better range too (thumbs u

Also, I bet there is a 100 collectors or more for every one collector that would want a Batman 1 vs. a Marvel 1 or All American 16. So there is not enough supply.

100 to 1, eh? Yeah, that's not a ratio pulled out of one's rear. meh

5 to 1, maybe. 10 to 1, unlikely. 100 to 1? Um, no.

Yup, count me as 1 who has no interest in owning Batman 1 and would definitely rather have an AA 16. So now Flash105 has to go and find 100 collectors who would prefer Batman 1 just to balance out little old me.

Count me as # 1 of 100 to counteract little old you. :sumo:

When did you start collecting something as unesoteric and mundane as superhero books?

Also, I bet there is a 100 collectors or more for every one collector that would want a Batman 1 vs. a Marvel 1 or All American 16. So there is not enough supply.

100 to 1, eh? Yeah, that's not a ratio pulled out of one's rear. meh

5 to 1, maybe. 10 to 1, unlikely. 100 to 1? Um, no.

Yup, count me as 1 who has no interest in owning Batman 1 and would definitely rather have an AA 16. So now Flash105 has to go and find 100 collectors who would prefer Batman 1 just to balance out little old me.

Count me as # 1 of 100 to counteract little old you. :sumo:

I would be number two. But you are thinking in terms of enlightened old foggies whol have been in comics for 40 years. I would bet most (not all) fan boys under the age of 35 have zero interest in Marvel #1. By the same token most would probably say Batman 1 rocks.

Also, the non-comic money crowd that follows movies and sees big sales in the newspapers would pick Batman #1 everytime. Furthermore, half of them are so stupid they would probably pick Batman #1 over Det' 27.

Just like boys like me in the 70s dreamed of AF15 and SC 4 the boys of today could care a rat's about Marvel 1 and for the most part see it going the way of of Whiz 2.

Just like boys like me in the 70s dreamed of AF15 and SC 4 the boys of today could care a rat's about Marvel 1 and for the most part see it going the way of of Whiz 2.

Dems fighting words.

:sumo:

I beg to differ. With many people (but especially Marvel Zombies) Marvel Comics #1 has a certain mystique to it that goes beyond simply the characters that the book introduces. It is ground zero and the start of a publisher that is important to many collectors in he hobby.

The 100 to 1 challenge and the charge of that figure coming out of someone's rear seems a bit gratuitiously contentious. Maybe on a board filled with comic geeks you could play games adding up the columns. But everybody knows what would happen if you put two books up in a public place with one being a Batman 1 while the other is an AA16. Nearly 100 percent would recognize the Batman 1 (or quickly agree it's probably "worth a lot") and I'm not even sure that 1 % would behave the same toward the AA16. Doesn't mean you don't prefer it or that many seasoned collectors don't prefer it. But when you assert that most people in the real world share your view, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, it's a bit disconcerting. Especially when you do it in a snarky, name-calling sorta way

Dems fighting words.

:sumo:

I beg to differ. With many people (but especially Marvel Zombies) Marvel Comics #1 has a certain mystique to it that goes beyond simply the characters that the book introduces. It is ground zero and the start of a publisher that is important to many collectors in he hobby.

Roy,

Don't mistake popularity with collectibility. The Marvel run in my mind is an amazing group of books and I would never tell someone that wants it they are wrong or even going the wrong direction. I just think over time the Marvel Run is going to have a hard time keeping up with Batman and Action. By the same token, you know I collect Flash and my grail book is SC4. Current market behavior tells me that is not the most popular investment a man could make but I will make it anyway because it is what I want. In the 1980s I was aware of Marvel 1 but I had no clue about the classic golden age books that many on these boards want. I would say that many newer collectors today who will eventually be the money men will learn about them as well but will lean to what they grew up with.

With many people (but especially Marvel Zombies) Marvel Comics #1 has a certain mystique to it that goes beyond simply the characters that the book introduces. It is ground zero and the start of a publisher that is important to many collectors in he hobby.

I'm lost...is this Fantastic Four #1 we're talking about here--is that what you mean by "Marvel Comics #1"? "Marvel Comics" is the name of the publisher! :baiting:

It's a topic that has been discussed at great lengths recently, and especially something that I've taken great interest since I have been either in the market for a either GA key or taken ownership of one.

I understand the pop culture argument for Action #1 vs. Tec #27 vs. Batman #1 vs MC #1. What I was surprised by, though, is the large number of Marvel #1 lovers out there. To many, me included, it is "The" book for them.

Action #1 is the most important comic of all time for obvious reasons...even if Superman isn't that popular any more.

Tec #27 is the most important Batman comic of all time and one of the most popular heros of all time.

Batman #1 is the best value for your money....Origin of Bats, first app. Joker, first app. The Cat, iconic cover, first in self titles series, relatively affordable.

Marvel Comics #1 the start of an era that has lasted 70+ years.

Each book does something different for people.

With many people (but especially Marvel Zombies) Marvel Comics #1 has a certain mystique to it that goes beyond simply the characters that the book introduces. It is ground zero and the start of a publisher that is important to many collectors in he hobby.

I'm lost...is this Fantastic Four #1 we're talking about here--is that what you mean by "Marvel Comics #1"? "Marvel Comics" is the name of the publisher! :baiting:

Yeah, yeah.

Different strokes. I've chosen my stroke.

:insane:

Yeah, yeah.

Different strokes. I've chosen my stroke.

:insane:

"gay" and "stroke" within seconds of each other.

Couldn't have planned it better.

Well, ok, maybe a little planning might have helped, but you never know. It all could have gone terribly wrong, to the embarrassment of billions.