• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman # 1 Blue label 9.0 to be auctioned on ComicLink again.

542 posts in this topic

Shoot if we all wanted the same book I guess it would have to Hulk 181. That is the only key with enough supply.

One of these days I will have a Batman 1. I was close last year.

With many people (but especially Marvel Zombies) Marvel Comics #1 has a certain mystique to it that goes beyond simply the characters that the book introduces. It is ground zero and the start of a publisher that is important to many collectors in he hobby.

I'm lost...is this Fantastic Four #1 we're talking about here--is that what you mean by "Marvel Comics #1"? "Marvel Comics" is the name of the publisher! :baiting:

Yeah, yeah.

Different strokes. I've chosen my stroke.

:insane:

"gay" and "stroke" within seconds of each other.

Couldn't have planned it better.

Well, ok, maybe a little planning might have helped, but you never know. It all could have gone terribly wrong, to the embarrassment of billions.

I'm a sucker for an easy play.

lol

Also, I bet there is a 100 collectors or more for every one collector that would want a Batman 1 vs. a Marvel 1 or All American 16. So there is not enough supply.

100 to 1, eh? Yeah, that's not a ratio pulled out of one's rear. meh

5 to 1, maybe. 10 to 1, unlikely. 100 to 1? Um, no.

Yup, count me as 1 who has no interest in owning Batman 1 and would definitely rather have an AA 16. So now Flash105 has to go and find 100 collectors who would prefer Batman 1 just to balance out little old me.

Count me as # 1 of 100 to counteract little old you. :sumo:

I would be number two. But you are thinking in terms of enlightened old foggies whol have been in comics for 40 years. I would bet most (not all) fan boys under the age of 35 have zero interest in Marvel #1. By the same token most would probably say Batman 1 rocks.

If the choice were between Batman #1 and MC #1, I have to admit it'd be a tough choice, because I'd want neither.

well hell, if we're all listing books we want, here's my list, Santa are you listening? ;)

Action #1 through #100

Detective #1 through #100

Supes #1-100

Bats #1-100

Marvel Mystery #1-100

Sensation, Wonder Woman, Flash, All-American, etc.

Basically whatever Bangzoom has.

There might be a lot of Marvel fans that would "take" a Marvel #1 over a Bat #1, but that's the key word - take. The pool of willing and able buyers is much less than those that would simply take one.

So far, there have not been a lot of collectors that have gone from wanting to finish that 9.0+ Spidey set to deciding that they need a Marvel #1 also (even though you can pretty much get any Marvel #1 that comes to market for less than a 9.8 copy of Spidey #5, or a decent low grade and/or restored copy for the price of a FF #112 in 9.8 - makes no sense at all). But if few to no SA Marvel fans make the transition to collecting GA, then Batman #1 will continue to gain and eventually surpass Marvel #1 in price (as it occasionally does now in certain situations).

I don't know of too many Marvel/Timely fans of any age that would take a Bats #1 over a MC#1? Bats is wayyyyyyyy down the want list for me, barely on the radar.
I'm a Timely guy just like you Peter but I would take a Bat 1 over a Marvel 1---why? I've never been a huge Marvel 1 fan (ok cover, I know 1st Subby and Torch)..I'd rather have a Marvel 9 than a 1.. 2c

well hell, if we're all listing books we want, here's my list, Santa are you listening? ;)

Action #1 through #100

Detective #1 through #100

Supes #1-100

Bats #1-100

Marvel Mystery #1-100

Sensation, Wonder Woman, Flash, All-American, etc.

Basically whatever Bangzoom has.

:gossip: marvel mystery 2-92 lol

I don't know of too many Marvel/Timely fans of any age that would take a Bats #1 over a MC#1? Bats is wayyyyyyyy down the want list for me, barely on the radar.
I'm a Timely guy just like you Peter but I would take a Bat 1 over a Marvel 1---why? I've never been a huge Marvel 1 fan (ok cover, I know 1st Subby and Torch)..I'd rather have a Marvel 9 than a 1.. 2c
and I am the opposite...I rather have a nice marvel 1 than a marvel 9, but that is just me (shrug)

There might be a lot of Marvel fans that would "take" a Marvel #1 over a Bat #1, but that's the key word - take. The pool of willing and able buyers is much less than those that would simply take one.

So far, there have not been a lot of collectors that have gone from wanting to finish that 9.0+ Spidey set to deciding that they need a Marvel #1 also (even though you can pretty much get any Marvel #1 that comes to market for less than a 9.8 copy of Spidey #5, or a decent low grade and/or restored copy for the price of a FF #112 in 9.8 - makes no sense at all). But if few to no SA Marvel fans make the transition to collecting GA, then Batman #1 will continue to gain and eventually surpass Marvel #1 in price (as it occasionally does now in certain situations).

This is true and makes you wonder how and when this started to happen. Was it people's talking about it that made it happen or what is the Pay copy and a few other copies resurfacing just a few times too many that made people "want to pay less" for a copy of MC #1?

and I am the opposite...I rather have a nice marvel 1 than a marvel 9, but that is just me (shrug)

I`d rather have a nice FC 9 than a MM 9. But that`s just me.

This is true and makes you wonder how and when this started to happen. Was it people's talking about it that made it happen or what is the Pay copy and a few other copies resurfacing just a few times too many that made people "want to pay less" for a copy of MC #1?

Yes.

Yes.

Well then it seems we've hit a bottom.

+1

+1
yeah, well you 2 are "quacks" lol

The 100 to 1 challenge and the charge of that figure coming out of someone's rear seems a bit gratuitiously contentious. Maybe on a board filled with comic geeks you could play games adding up the columns. But everybody knows what would happen if you put two books up in a public place with one being a Batman 1 while the other is an AA16. Nearly 100 percent would recognize the Batman 1 (or quickly agree it's probably "worth a lot") and I'm not even sure that 1 % would behave the same toward the AA16. Doesn't mean you don't prefer it or that many seasoned collectors don't prefer it. But when you assert that most people in the real world share your view, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, it's a bit disconcerting. Especially when you do it in a snarky, name-calling sorta way

My comment wasn't meant to be contentious, and I don't disagree with the idea that Batman # 1 is a more popular book then MC # 1. I just took issue with the 100-to-1 ratio thing, as I don't believe the gap is anywhere near as large.

Also, it should be noted that the post I responded to wasn't referring to average members of the public, but to actual "collectors". As long as there are Marvel zombies, there will be people who choose MC # 1 over Batman # 1 with regularity.