• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman # 1 Blue label 9.0 to be auctioned on ComicLink again.

542 posts in this topic

Ill put it another way. Ill bet anything that a lowly 7.0 blue label Detective 27 can equal or do better price wise than a 9.6 A.F 15.

and grade for grade Detective 27 will blow AF 15 out of the water literally pricewise.

Af 15 is not in the price class of Action 1 or Tec 27. There is no big three.There are just to many darn copies of AF15.

There still is only the Big 2.

Yes, but the debate isn't about Action 1 or Detective 27. It's about Marvel 1 vs AF 15. If you want to talk about Action 1 or 'Tec 27, go right ahead, but you're having a discussion that's different than everyone else.

At auction right now, I would guess that an AF15 in 9.6 would be $500-750K, and the Church MC 1 would be sub-$500K. Straight up sale, you might find someone who is willing to break the bank for a MC1, but the precedent for HG copies has been set at below $300K. On the other hand, straight up sale I wouldn't be astonished to see someone pony up $1M for THE best AF15. Sure it's a [relatively] common book, but the best is the best, and there's only one of those.

Ill put it another way. Ill bet anything that a lowly 7.0 blue label Detective 27 can equal or do better price wise than a 9.6 A.F 15.

and grade for grade Detective 27 will blow AF 15 out of the water literally pricewise.

Af 15 is not in the price class of Action 1 or Tec 27. There is no big three.There are just to many darn copies of AF15.

There still is only the Big 2.

Yes, but the debate isn't about Action 1 or Detective 27. It's about Marvel 1 vs AF 15. If you want to talk about Action 1 or 'Tec 27, go right ahead, but you're having a discussion that's different than everyone else.

At auction right now, I would guess that an AF15 in 9.6 would be $500-750K, and the Church MC 1 would be sub-$500K. Straight up sale, you might find someone who is willing to break the bank for a MC1, but the precedent for HG copies has been set at below $300K. On the other hand, straight up sale I wouldn't be astonished to see someone pony up $1M for THE best AF15. Sure it's a [relatively] common book, but the best is the best, and there's only one of those.

Acknowledged.....................

So to simplify it the debate is what is more valuable?

A 9.8 MC # 1 [ assume] or a 9.6 AF 15

I Pretty much see it as Rarity vs Popularity.

Im going to pick the M.C # 1 because I only see Marvel 1s price set back as a temporary glitch[a stall] in its rise again due to that too many of a very scarce book came to market at the same time in a short period of time.

Ah now, if Spiderman only came out in Marvel comics #1 in 1939. This conversation would never had taken place.

Marvel one lacks the MEGA STAR the other 2 big have.

My rationale on the AF #15 in 20 years is a generational thing since there should be more collectors at that point interested in the top SA book to own, AF #15, than a 2nd tier GA key.

Ryan, I think you need to pull back on the stick a little bit. Calling a Marvel #1 a second tier book is a little far fetched at this point.

(tsk)

my guess is if the church marvel 1 is truly a 9.8, it is a million dollar book today... but I would agree that the 9.6 af15 would break 500K pretty easily...

and yes, there is currently only 1 9.6 af15, but I would be willing to bet there are others, or at least other "potential" candidates... I doubt there is another 9.6/9.8 marvel 1 floating around out there (shrug)

my guess is if the church marvel 1 is truly a 9.8, it is a million dollar book today... but I would agree that the 9.6 af15 would break 500K pretty easily...

and yes, there is currently only 1 9.6 af15, but I would be willing to bet there are others, or at least other "potential" candidates... I doubt there is another 9.6/9.8 marvel 1 floating around out there (shrug)

The odds are definitely in favor of AF #15 being duplicated in higher grades.

(thumbs u

Even in 9.6 I agree.

There might be a lot of Marvel fans that would "take" a Marvel #1 over a Bat #1, but that's the key word - take. The pool of willing and able buyers is much less than those that would simply take one.

So far, there have not been a lot of collectors that have gone from wanting to finish that 9.0+ Spidey set to deciding that they need a Marvel #1 also (even though you can pretty much get any Marvel #1 that comes to market for less than a 9.8 copy of Spidey #5, or a decent low grade and/or restored copy for the price of a FF #112 in 9.8 - makes no sense at all). But if few to no SA Marvel fans make the transition to collecting GA, then Batman #1 will continue to gain and eventually surpass Marvel #1 in price (as it occasionally does now in certain situations).

This is true and makes you wonder how and when this started to happen. Was it people's talking about it that made it happen or what is the Pay copy and a few other copies resurfacing just a few times too many that made people "want to pay less" for a copy of MC #1?

Yes.

I disagree that it is primarily due to the abundance of copies. The biggest problem IMHO is that the biggest Timely/Atlas/Marvel book is AF #15, not MC #1. Action #1 = 1st Superman + start of superhero comics; Tec #27 = 1st Batman; MC #1 = ?. Twenty years from now I would not be surprised if the top copy of AF #15 (is there a 9.8 lurking somewhere?) is worth more than the top copy of MC #1.

I don't think its going to take 20 years.

^^

I'm thinking the 9.6 AF 15 would give the Church Marvel 1 a run for its money right now.

not even close :makepoint:

My rationale on the AF #15 in 20 years is a generational thing since there should be more collectors at that point interested in the top SA book to own, AF #15, than a 2nd tier GA key. At that point there will likely be only a hand ful of books fetching top dollar, and AF #15 will be there along with Action #1 and Tec #27 but not MC #1.

Your bias/dislike towards MC#1's continues to show in your comments. Sure Spider-Man is probably the most popular character period but to suggest that the Church MC#1 isn't miles ahead of any AF#15 known to exist is a pipe dream. The Church MC#1 in 9.6 or 9.8 condition is worth millions. Even I can admit that an Action #1 is a landmark book in comic history but to suggest that DC's biggest rival the last 70 years (and industry leader for the last half century) doesn't have similar importance is silly.

My rationale on the AF #15 in 20 years is a generational thing since there should be more collectors at that point interested in the top SA book to own, AF #15, than a 2nd tier GA key.

Ryan, I think you need to pull back on the stick a little bit. Calling a Marvel #1 a second tier book is a little far fetched at this point.

(tsk)

Roy, in my opinion there are only 4, maybe 5 top tier books in the entire hobby. They include 2 GA - Action #1 and Tec #27, 1 SA - AF #15, 1 BA - Hulk #181, and you can add 1 Copper Age - TMNT #1. MC #1 falls into the 2nd tier along with FF#1, X-Men #1, SC #4 and #22, etc.

Your bias/dislike towards MC#1's continues to show in your comments. Sure Spider-Man is probably the most popular character period but to suggest that the Church MC#1 isn't miles ahead of any AF#15 known to exist is a pipe dream. The Church MC#1 in 9.6 or 9.8 condition is worth millions. Even I can admit that an Action #1 is a landmark book in comic history but to suggest that DC's biggest rival the last 70 years (and industry leader for the last half century) doesn't have similar importance is silly.

As does your bias in favor of it. (thumbs u

I am not as anti-MC #1 as it may seem, I just like to argue the fact that it is no longer a mega key since there are only 2 mega keys from the GA - Tec #27 and Action #1.

Time will tell, but my guess is that as this hobby goes further out there will only be a handful of books that will be top value based on their impact and AF #15 has MC #1 beat in that regard. Sure, there will always be more HG copies of AF #15 that will come to market, but I think there will be more collectors will want to pay top dollar for the best AF #15 in 20 years vs. the best MC #1.

(tsk)

Roy, in my opinion there are only 4, maybe 5 top tier books in the entire hobby. They include 2 GA - Action #1 and Tec #27, 1 SA - AF #15, 1 BA - Hulk #181, and you can add 1 Copper Age - TMNT #1. MC #1 falls into the 2nd tier along with FF#1, X-Men #1, SC #4 and #22, etc.

doh!

FF #1, X-men #1 second tier?

doh!

Nevermind. Conversation over.

doh!

Even in 9.6 I agree.

But what about a 9.8 copy? My guess is that the top AF #15 is still out there unslabbed, but if a 9.8 or 9.9 ever surfaces then look out pricewise.

(tsk)

doh!

doh!

doh!

To each their own, Roy, but if you only want to buy and hold 5 books for the long haul then that is the list. FF #1 is no longer the key SA Marvel to own, and X-Men #1 is a relatively common key.

(tsk)

doh!

doh!

doh!

To each their own, Roy, but if you only want to buy and hold 5 books for the long haul then that is the list. FF #1 is no longer the key SA Marvel to own, and X-Men #1 is a relatively common key.

Ryan, how can a $100K or $200K book be second tier? I don't understand your logic.

They may be ranked in a certain order, but I don't think that would be enough to qualify them as a second tier book.

(tsk)

doh!

doh!

doh!

Ryan, how can a $100K or $200K book be second tier? I don't understand your logic.

They may be ranked in a certain order, but I don't think that would be enough to qualify them as a second tier book.

To add to this, FF#1 CGC 9.6 is worth much more than just a few hundred thousand, not bad for a 2nd tier 60's book. What other SA book outside of AF#15 could even come close to challenging its value?

I think that 200k or so for the Pay copy of Marvel `1 was money well spent and with patience , the reward is going to be very big. This [lull] in Marvel 1s was not a downdraft.It was an opportunity.Hasnt shut yet. It will.

I think that 200k or so for the Pay copy of Marvel `1 was money well spent and with patience , the reward is going to be very big. This [lull] in Marvel 1s was not a downdraft.It was an opportunity.Hasnt shut yet. It will.

Couldn't agree more, if a like minded group of collectors were to conspire to buy (and sit on) the high grade MC 1's, there's certainly money to be made. 2c

Wait, did I say sit on? Am I turning this into a pressing thread OH NO! (:

Price is irrelevant in my ranking of 1st Tier, 2nd Tier, etc. books, Roy, just significance. If you look at the upper echelon of books in the hobby across all ages, you can boil it down to just those 5.