• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman # 1 Blue label 9.0 to be auctioned on ComicLink again.

542 posts in this topic

FF brought us the Super Skrull, Klaw, Annihilus, Blastar, The Inhumans, the return of the Sub-Mariner, Terrax, the Silver Surfer, other Heralds, the Salem Seven, the Sphinx, the Watcher, good grief I don't think there is another series that can match the same depth of original characters.

Dr doom is pretty darn nifty too. :P

FF brought us the Super Skrull, Klaw, Annihilus, Blastar, The Inhumans, the return of the Sub-Mariner, Terrax, the Silver Surfer, other Heralds, the Salem Seven, the Sphinx, the Watcher, good grief I don't think there is another series that can match the same depth of original characters.

Supes had a bunch of lesser villains as well. Out of this list, the only one that would be of note outside of FF fans is the Silver Surfer, and maybe the watcher. Galactus and Dr. Doom are the only two big villains for the FF, and they match up well with Lex Luthor and Braniac for Supes.

As far as original iconic villains go, no property can touch Batman's collection of villains. Spidey would be the Marvel equivalent, but his rogues gallery does not quite match up. However, I would argue that Marvel's most iconic bad guy is probably Magneto now (in large part due to the movies), with Green Goblin close behind in 2nd place.

Supes had a bunch of lesser villains as well. Out of this list, the only one that would be of note outside of FF fans is the Silver Surfer, and maybe the watcher. Galactus and Dr. Doom are the only two big villains for the FF, and they match up well with Lex Luthor and Braniac for Supes.

As far as original iconic villains go, no property can touch Batman's collection of villains. Spidey would be the Marvel equivalent, but his rogues gallery does not quite match up. However, I would argue that Marvel's most iconic bad guy is probably Magneto now (in large part due to the movies), with Green Goblin close behind in 2nd place.

Agreed. Batman's villains are at the top and nobody comes close. I'd say Luthor and Bizarro are on a level with Dr Doom. Galactus is semi-recognizable, but I'd bet that few who don't read comics actively know who he is. The rest of the FF characters listed are almost unheard of outside of the FF. Surfer isn't a villain, if we're including him then you get to add in Supergirl, Superboy, etc.

Surfer isn't a villain, if we're including him then you get to add in Supergirl, Superboy, etc.

If helping Galactus to kill trillions of life forms isn't enough to put him on "villain" side of the hero/villain spectrum, I need to know what does make one a villain. :baiting:

Surfer isn't a villain, if we're including him then you get to add in Supergirl, Superboy, etc.

If helping Galactus to kill trillions of life forms isn't enough to put him on "villain" side of the hero/villain spectrum, I need to know what does make one a villain. :baiting:

He was more of a villain's beyotch than a villain in my books. lol

I'm human, I care about humans. Screw the aliens.

I'm human, I care about humans. Screw the aliens.

:roflmao:

Supes had a bunch of lesser villains as well. - Lesser, no arguement there. Boring/lame is a better word.

I'm just nto a big fan of the Penguin (notice I didn't include the Impossible Man in my list above). The Joker of course but the Riddler-no thanks. Scarecrow????:P Clayface, Two-Face, Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy are 2nd tier at best, sorry I'm just not feeling it. Oh I forgot the "Dummy". :whatev:

"Kneel before Zod."- Still one of the best villian lines ever. Superman has great villians. And now there are plenty of weapons and aliens that pose a threat to him. He is not all powerfull.

Base your decisions on this: All the rare books I want to buy are going down in value. And all the books I want to sell are going way up in value.

I could be wrong but I think his post might be a little poke at me and my latest Bats 1 purchase. Walt T sent me a derogatory email out of the blue the other day and I'm guessing at some point I rubbed him the wrong way (no clue how).

In any case, I believe most people don't buy restored grails for investment (or at least not primarily) but rather for enjoyment. At least that is the case with me.

restored mid grade copies of Batman 1 are not going up in value but rather down. All unrestored copies are going up. I don't think restored copies are a good value for any

early tec, action, superman or batman book.

wow, my experience is just the opposite... restored Bat 1's are up about 20-50% from where they were just a year ago ...we have bought and sold 4 restored copies, all at 20-50% more than our cost, and I have observed at least 3 other similar sales (one was almost double the cost, 100% return/increase)...

and, similarly, early restored Actions are a great investment..I have already been offered as much as 50% more than my cost on them...as long as they are action 1, 7, 10 and 13 (thumbs u

Base your decisions on this: All the rare books I want to buy are going down in value. And all the books I want to sell are going way up in value.

I could be wrong but I think his post might be a little poke at me and my latest Bats 1 purchase. Walt T sent me a derogatory email out of the blue the other day and I'm guessing at some point I rubbed him the wrong way (no clue how).

In any case, I believe most people don't buy restored grails for investment (or at least not primarily) but rather for enjoyment. At least that is the case with me.

Anything you spend thousands of dollars on is an investment, even if you don't consider it one at the time. And the more people who appreciate the books the same way you do, the better the investment they are.

So, I just found it interesting that his prognostication focused on some of the most famous and rare and widely sought after books in all of comics, as opposed to low grade or restored copies of common or esoteric books.

you are wrong, sent you a message about something else.

restored mid grade copies of Batman 1 are not going up in value but rather down. All unrestored copies are going up. I don't think restored copies are a good value for any

wow, my experience is just the opposite... restored Bat 1's are up about 20-50% from where they were just a year ago ...we have bought and sold 4 restored copies, all at 20-50% more than our cost, and I have observed at least 3 other similar sales (one was almost double the cost, 100% return/increase)...

and, similarly, early restored Actions are a great investment..I have already been offered as much as 50% more than my cost on them...as long as they are action 1, 7, 10 and 13 (thumbs u

you might be the exception because ebay had a cgc 5.5 ep batman 1 with no trimming or married pages and off white pages sell a few months ago for $9,500. Also there are several batman 1, (5) that are all restored and none selling.

maybe my opinion on early actions is wrong when you consider 1 and 7 and probably tec 27 but as much as I love tec 29, 31 and 35 more than any other books in the world (these 3 books give me goosebumps) restored mid grade are not moving up.

you might be the exception because ebay had a cgc 5.5 ep batman 1 with no trimming or married pages and off white pages sell a few months ago for $9,500. Also there are several batman 1, (5) that are all restored and none selling.

maybe my opinion on early actions is wrong when you consider 1 and 7 and probably tec 27 but as much as I love tec 29, 31 and 35 more than any other books in the world (these 3 books give me goosebumps) restored mid grade are not moving up.

ebay has some "ungraded" copies out there that folks in general, don't put a lot of faith in (and asking prices of 19K and 17500, etc are way high)...but don't just judge batman 1 by ebay (or any book for that matter)...

a cgc 5.5 EP was a $7500 book a year+ ago (and a $5K book 2 years ago)...if it sold for 9500 a few months ago, that is a 20%+ increase?

Jeff (nearmint) sold a 6.0 EP for about a 20%+ profit, very recently, I believe

ciorac just picked up a slight restored 4.5 ish copy, for about 40% more than the trader/seller paid for it...

and just middle last year I believe, ciorac sold a nice 5.0ish mod for a small profit, then the person he sold it to, turned a 35% profit on it, all in the last 6 months

as mentioned, adam and I have moved multiple restored mid gradish copies at very nice prices...

and restored tec 29, 31, 35's are all selling for more today (on the rare occasion they come up for sale) and in demand, than ever before, so I don't get it ...just healthy debate (thumbs u

Didn't the Denver Batman 1 cgc 9.0 (SP) go for a high of $60K? restored Bats seem to be ok
I am still 50/50 on whether talking myself out of this one was a good decision, or bad (shrug)